Crap all over the side of the car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007 | 04:04 PM
Pro

Crap all over the side of the car!

Hey guys!

I am not sure what ran over, but I have what appears to be caked on mud on the side of my car. I am not sure if it's mud, or something mixed with the mud. Anyway's, I tried hosing the car off since I am currently out of town, but this stuff doesn't want to come off. If I take my finger nail and pick at it, it slowly comes off. Anyway's, is there any product that would be good to spray on there to get rid of it? If someone could offer some suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:28 PM
Pro

Since you're out of town, is there any chance at picking up a wash mit and some soap? Even if it's at the local Wal-Mart? I don't know how you are about car washes, but I'd bet the majority of us in Wash & Wax wouldn't think of taking our cars through - but this could be an option for you as a 'one time deal' to get it off. Try to find an actual car wash in town, not a gas station car wash. Or if you do find a gas station one, look for a 'touchless', although if it's hard to hose off, I'm thinking some scrubbing is going to be needed...
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:36 PM
FTW

Perhaps another suggestion is to look for one of those drop a few coins in the machine and use the power spray to clean the crap off the sides...
Old 10-27-2007 | 08:15 PM
Pro

^^^

Ah, very good lusid - I totally forgot about those. JLTSX07 - scratch my idea. Go with what lusid reccomended, that should do a good job. I'd just advise against using the usual "broom in soap bucket" that those places usually have as their "washmit"
Old 10-27-2007 | 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor

If it didnt hose off, my concern is its something other then organic. Could be petroleum based which will reqire a little TLC and mineral spirits or 3M tar adhesive remover.....
Old 10-28-2007 | 12:21 AM
Pro

Hey Guys!

First of all, thank you for the responses.

Second of all, what exactly are mineral deposits, Patrick?

Third of all, I couldn't find a coin car wash, but the Amoco near my hotel had a touch free car wash at the Amoco gas station. So, I ran it through that, but it didn't seem to faze the stuff on the paint..... So, I was thinking, I have some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover at home. Do you think if I sprayed that on, let it sit for a minute or so, I would then be able to wipe it off? If not, does anyone have a good product that they could recommend?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 10-28-2007 | 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Mineral deposits are the basically the remnants of liquid dehydration, be it water, fruit juice etc......Mineral deposits are those little white circles we call water spots. And they have the ability to etch your cars surface protection (clear coat). Not to be confused with mineral spirits, which are petroleum based, and a considered a "mild" solvent. Also used as a cutting oil. Mineral spirits can also be recognized by products including 3M Tar Adhesive remover, TW Bug/Tar remover........Keep it away from plastics and rubber/plastic trim areas......
Old 10-28-2007 | 03:04 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Concrete Spots:
Calcified water spots on paint and glass, water and concrete spots are pretty much the same chemically; calcium carbonate, with the concrete being cross-linked with water

Removal• Apply 1:1 ratio water with distilled White Vinegar solution, and using a spray bottle, spray that mixture on the spots and let them "soak." Then rinse with water and repeat as necessary.
•If the ambient temperature water/vinegar mix does not work, warm (100-120 degrees) 100% distilled White Vinegar, saturate a clean kitchen sponge with pure vinegar and hold the sponge over the concrete spots for a few minutes
•If the above do not remove them try equal parts distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and distilled white vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will help etch and dissolve the concrete.
•Rinse the area thoroughly with water after the vinegar and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

a) To remove concrete that has set - use the A B C Decontamination / Neutralization system (http:// www.autoint.com) a safe alkaline wash and neutralizing system the ABC wash apparently loosens the bond with the clear coat, after using the wash simply lift off any concrete with a plastic razor, for smaller specks use detailers clay, any subsequent etching will require an abrasive to level the paint surface, and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

b) Back-Set by Romix is an acid alternative with no fumes or odours, molecularly breaks down the ionic bond in Portland cement, completely dissolving and releasing the hardened cement from any surface it is adhered to. Always apply Back-Set to a dry surface area- http://www. romixchem.com/