Cold weather wash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004 | 11:02 AM
White and Nerdy

Cold weather wash?

Its getting freakin' freezin' up here!....any way to effectively clean dirt off of a car without having to run a hose (maybe with a bucket of warm water?). Maybe something that could be done while the car is garaged?

Any fellow northerners have any success with a less chilly way to wash one's car in the winter?
Old 11-14-2004 | 07:12 PM
Littering and.....

I just go to the local car wash and do it myself. The places up here use warm water. I just wish they had garage doors on each end.
Old 11-14-2004 | 10:17 PM
No Longer a Poseur

I take it to my local coin-op wash. They have a heated washing bay, as well as using warm water. I only use the gun (never the brush), and spray the whole car with soapy water, and then rinse with clean water. I usually don't dry the car off, but I may start doing that (bring my water blade along).

However, I think the major goal in winter is to get the majority of the salt and grime off the car, and not worry about getting it "summer perfect", so I think for the winter, water spots will be somewhat okay.
Old 11-14-2004 | 11:27 PM
Boy Genius

Originally Posted by MikeMa
I take it to my local coin-op wash. They have a heated washing bay, as well as using warm water. I only use the gun (never the brush), and spray the whole car with soapy water, and then rinse with clean water. I usually don't dry the car off, but I may start doing that (bring my water blade along).

However, I think the major goal in winter is to get the majority of the salt and grime off the car, and not worry about getting it "summer perfect", so I think for the winter, water spots will be somewhat okay.

Same thing here Alberta buddy!
Old 11-15-2004 | 06:13 PM
White and Nerdy

Hmmmmm....so I don't need to pursue my crazy idea of getting some tarps, lining the garage walls, and making my own indoor car wash out of my garage....damn...
Old 11-15-2004 | 07:44 PM
Instructor

Wouldn't using warm water damage the paint. I thought it was like when you take a frozen/cold glass then pour hot water into it. The glass pretty much shatters. So by that wouldn't the paint get damaged? If I'm completely wrong then ignore me.
Old 11-15-2004 | 07:49 PM
White and Nerdy

When I went to school in the middle of Texas, some of the students who grew up near the mexican border and never got frost on their cars before would get the really bad idea of throwing some hot water on their windshileld to melt it. Every year, after the first frost, you'd see some car with its windshield busted to hell...

As for the effect on paint, I have no solid info, but I would assume that a hot engine under the hood would be somewhat similar, so I figure most paint would be resistant to most temp changes. My own obsolute guess would be that warm water would be OK, but hot water would not be good.
Old 11-15-2004 | 07:54 PM
Instructor

Does anyone know what causes the spider web cracks in the paint. My friend has a bunch but only on his front fenders near the engine.
Old 11-15-2004 | 08:13 PM
Littering and.....

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
When I went to school in the middle of Texas, some of the students who grew up near the mexican border and never got frost on their cars before would get the really bad idea of throwing some hot water on their windshileld to melt it. Every year, after the first frost, you'd see some car with its windshield busted to hell...

As for the effect on paint, I have no solid info, but I would assume that a hot engine under the hood would be somewhat similar, so I figure most paint would be resistant to most temp changes. My own obsolute guess would be that warm water would be OK, but hot water would not be good.
Someone should have told them to just put rain-x on the windows.