Clear Coat Restoration/Protection Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:52 PM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear Coat Restoration/Protection Question

Hey guys. I'm new to the Wash & Wax. I've been making it a point to take better care of the car, and all your advice has been really helpful, so thanks!

Here's my question/situation: I discovered the top edge of my trunk is starting to fade and the clear coat is wearing. I noticed this happen on my previous car as well, and before I knew it, all the paint/color on the edge of the trunk started to come off. I was wondering what's the best solution for this without having to pay $$$ to repaint the whole trunk. Are there any products to help seal it or restore the clear coat. Preventive measures. I'm kind of tentative to wash that portion of the car now because every time, I feel like it would further the damage. Any suggestions for this n00b? haha.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Slak, obviously proper care from the get go is vital. Im leary of recommending any car care "drug", other then cleaning the paint with a paint cleaner (To remove existing dead paint cells, allowing better bonding for the new protectant) and then sealing it up with a synthetic wax.
Im not sure what your previous car was which had the same ailment (and I hate to say this) but I see more Hondas with paint issues, then just about any other car made. So, protect that Acura!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:33 AM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Excel! I'll look into the paint cleaner and synth wax. My last car was a Acura Legend Sedan. I'm not too sure why that particular part of the car is more prone to wearing for me, but I guess similar to drywall edges, car edges are just more prone to wear. I just don't believe that it could be all from simply closing the trunk all the time. It could be that I'm applying too much pressure on that part of the vehicle during washing. Anyways, thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.