cleaning under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning under the hood

Hey i want to clean under the hood of my car, get off all the dirt, grime and stuff that the guy before me didnt clean for years. Ive tried compressed air ( for a generator for a nailgun seeing how i work on a construction site) and that diddnt do much but i can remove it by hand. So someone told me to use a broom with some light soapy water to get the dirt off lol. Im just not sure the best way to get it looking all nice and clean. Any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
towel + Citrus degreaser + elbow grease = clean engine bay.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this engine detailing tutorial from Autogeek or this one from Autopia. Engine Bay Care from DU is another good read. You can also do a search as this question has been previously asked . . .
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/does-anyone-clean-their-engine-bay-361705/
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/engine-compartment-356049/
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/whats-best-way-clean-engine-bay-acura-04-tl-349998/
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/engine-detailing-336036/
Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Ok i read all those sites and the threads you linked too and my only other question is: are these the only things i need to cover?

-alternator,
-exposed filters,
-engine's air intake
-spark plugs

if not let me know. ill also need to find out where all those parts are on my engine and under the hood lol (thank god for the manual)
Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Washing Engine Bay

I wash my engine bay twice a year, fall and spring.

I use:

-Ordinary garden hose and nozzle
-Citrus based engine degreaser ($4)
-Mother's Preserves Protectant
-Sponge applicator
-Several old towels
-Spray belt dressing
-Scrub brush

No rocket science here but I just want to keep it clean under the hood without causing a lot of headaches as far as getting sensitive things wet.

Know where the ECU is and keep water OFF this area. The alternator is not going to be a problem unless you direct water at it. It gets wet quite regularly when rain gets splashed from under the car.

Follow the directions from the Degreaser Spray can. Make sure you are not on top of an Asphalt driveway or pavement, or you WILL melt the tar off and you will be walking on a sticky surface.

Spray the degreaser on the surfaces of the engine bay and keep it away from the finish. It WILL remove the wax off your fenders too! (Cover the fenders with garbage bags). Let soak as per directions (15 mins or so).

Turn the water on at a low setting letting the slow flow of water remove the degreaser and the crud that it takes off (water will turn white)

Use brush on stubborn areas or spray with more degreaser and soak/ rinse again.

Some degreasers direct you to start the engine and let run for about 5 minutes. You MAY need the belt dressing in case you experience sqealing from the belts.

Leave hood open to air dry for 1-2 hours. Use cloth towel to remove excess water.

Spray Protectant on plastic engine cover, plastic parts and cable covers or hoses. Be careful not to soak panel boxes and spray Protectant on sponge instead.

By using this method, I keep the engine area clean enough that my next cleaning will be less tedious and mostly will just be dusting. By applying Protectant to the hoses and plastic, cracking and premature wear can be prevented. And it looks COOL!

If your OCD is even worse than mine, you can vacuum the felt hood liner (if you have one).
Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
wow great writeup... thanks... makes my engine cleanup seem a bit sloppy compared to urs...
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bucket of soapy water and a old mirco fiber towel once a month. I'm just a firm believer that if you don't let it get dirty, it we never become a real pita to get clean. Occasionally i will spray a degreaser or engine cleaner in there and let it do its job.

I use this stuff from the guys that make the good smelling orange shop hands cleaner......forget the name.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

ok some pictures

Hey guys i just got my new intake + K & N filter today, so i want to clean under the hood this weekend. I have read all the threads and links posted by you guys but after looking under my hood again with all that stuff in mind, i got really discouraged and worried about messing the car up. Here are some pics from under the hood, i have no idea what half the wires are for and there is still tones of stuff i dont know about. I know where the spark plugs are to cover, the intake(ill remove the old one and cover the opening before cleaning) and the alternator, but other than that, am i supposed to leave the rest of that jumble of wire/rods open when i spray it down with water?

Please let me know, cause as you can see, its a MESS.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:47 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
Bucket of soapy water and a old mirco fiber towel once a month. I'm just a firm believer that if you don't let it get dirty, it we never become a real pita to get clean. Occasionally i will spray a degreaser or engine cleaner in there and let it do its job.

I use this stuff from the guys that make the good smelling orange shop hands cleaner......forget the name.

GOJO?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Based on you photos:
Your 'electricals' are mostly on the left side (looking in) along the side of the battery. Fuse, box, ECU and battery SHOULD be kept dry. You might need more than one can of degreaser spray and soak it for about 20 minutes.

Manually clean the black boxes on the left with old towels and APC like Spray-Nine or Simple Green. Avoid getting water on these as the seals may have cracked already over time, just in case.

The key is the slow 'flow' of water as opposed to pressure washing which can dislodge something or even take flaking paint off. Do this twice a year and your engine will always be 'show ready'.