Cleaning leather question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning leather question

Hey guys,

I just noticed something that appeared to be ink on my leather seat. Anyway's, I cleaned it with Zaino's Z-9 leather cleaner. Since it's about 10 degrees out, I didn't apply Leather Conditioner immediately aftewards. Is this ok to do, or should I apply some conditioner immediately afterwards?

Thanks much.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2007, 01:47 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Before using a leather care product a detailer needs to know the material they are working on, and wither the product chosen is compatible with the material and will not damage it. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use you need to ascertain what type of leather finish you have and wither the leather has a polyurethane covering, or is (un-coated) natural leather, as the cleaning / maintenance varies as to type; although they all require a water-based product to re-hydrate, a suede type leather like Nubuck is the exception.

Leather (Covered):
Many people are unaware of the fact that since the late ‘80s early ‘90s many of the newer domestic cars and some imports (US) do not use natural leather hides anymore. Approximately 80% of vehicle manufacturers have used (thermoplastic) polyurethane covered leather for their interior upholstery. It’s made from natural hides, chrome tanned and uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane paint coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, which besides body oil is leathers worst enemy.

The Ink Remover (Protected Leathers only) is designed for removal of recent (within 48 hours) ink contamination. Ink marks older than 3-5 days may not respond or will only be lightened. The biodegradable formula is very easy to use (wax-like stick container) and works well for all types of ink as well as lipstick

Protection - should be applied the first day and thereafter 2 - 4 times per year (dependant upon local climate). It makes it easier to clean and remove any accidental spills, ink marks etc. Being water-based it helps hydration by balancing the necessary moisture level of all leather types (except Nubuck). Although it’s primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any soils that may settle on it.

This product will help to provide protection against oil, water, and alcohol based stains, as well as providing resistance to the effects of daily soiling It places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather. Protect your leather first, and then follow a routine of cleaning and re-protection, this way you are not actually cleaning the original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. Leather Master™ Protection –
(See also ultra violet (UV) radiation protection)

Leather Master, US - .http://www.topoftheline.com / or http://www.leatherworldtech.com/
Old 01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Hey guys,

I just noticed something that appeared to be ink on my leather seat. Anyway's, I cleaned it with Zaino's Z-9 leather cleaner. Since it's about 10 degrees out, I didn't apply Leather Conditioner immediately aftewards. Is this ok to do, or should I apply some conditioner immediately afterwards?

Thanks much.

Jeff

Jeff,

If you can get the car in a warm garage, you should put on the conditioner as soon as possible. Conditioner will prevent the leather from drying out and cracking.

Did the ink come out with Zaino's Z-9 leather cleaner ? when you say "ink" do you mean ink from a pen ? or from dye transfer from another leather product? i.e. leather belts, leather jackets , etc.