Cheap version of ZAINO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 02:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap version of ZAINO?

what do you think the next best wax is, compared to zaino? something that i could pick up at like kragen or something for like 10-20 bucks?
Old 04-18-2002, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
If I had to pick a polymer that had similar properties to Zaino, and can be bought in auto parts stores, I would pick Liquid Glass

Meguiars' product line is very good, but if I wanted longevity, minimal care/# of applications, LG is my choice.

Zaino and Blackfire are #1 and 2, but LG comes in a pretty close 3rd.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Team Owner

I used to use Liquid Glass back in the late 80’s and early 90’s because everyone on the show circuit swore by it.
It used to be VERY hard to find and cost like 20-25 bucks a can.

Some time around 98/99 I started to see it at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Pep-Boys and places like that for 12-13 bucks and I also noticed the quality wasn’t the same.
I got in touch with the original guy who told me about it and he said that someone bought the name and formula and “cheapened” it for MASS sale.

This was about the time I was buying my 2001 CL and I heard about ZAINO on the old honda-acura.net site.

The rest is HISTORY.

Maybe this is all BS.
I don’t know.
But I DO know the last couple of cans I bought didn’t shine or last as long as when I first used it.

Shawn S
Old 04-18-2002, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Shawn S
I used to use Liquid Glass back in the late 80’s and early 90’s because everyone on the show circuit swore by it.
It used to be VERY hard to find and cost like 20-25 bucks a can.

Some time around 98/99 I started to see it at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Pep-Boys and places like that for 12-13 bucks and I also noticed the quality wasn’t the same.
I got in touch with the original guy who told me about it and he said that someone bought the name and formula and “cheapened” it for MASS sale.

This was about the time I was buying my 2001 CL and I heard about ZAINO on the old honda-acura.net site.

The rest is HISTORY.

Maybe this is all BS.
I don’t know.
But I DO know the last couple of cans I bought didn’t shine or last as long as when I first used it.

Shawn S
I do believe you are correct, sir!!!!! At least, that's what I've heard.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

hmmm okay, but liquid glass is alot better then turtle wax huh
Old 04-18-2002, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by azn5ucka86
hmmm okay, but liquid glass is alot better then turtle wax huh
Why are you so insistent on going cheap?
Are you telling us that you car isn’t worth spending 100-bucks worth of Z-Stuff ???
You DO know the best color for Zaino is BLACK ?

You can put together a “basic” start of Z-2, Z-5 & ZFX for only 50-bucks that will blow away anything from Turtle Wax.

Shawn S
Old 04-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

nah, i don't have a garage to park in so i don't want to use anything too expensive to shine the car, because in the part of san francisco that i'm from, the mornings are extremely cold, and alot of moisture gets on it, and then the winds blow the crap off the trees and sticks to the car, so basically i gotta wash my car every week or so

thats why i wanted to find something low price range, so that i can use it when i wash the car everyweek and not "waste" the wax coat by having all the dirt stick to the car then having to wash it again
Old 04-18-2002, 10:00 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Meguiars is great. Professional is what I use and just ordered some stuff for 100. THe best overall wax I have ever used Zymol or Klasse. VERY EXPENSIVE though. The Zymol that I used on my 328is was $200 a can. Dont believe me go to www.zymol.com and look at the Concours estate wax. There is no way to describe it.
BTW, something cheap, Id go with Meguiars Gold Class. Pretty good.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

alright i'll look into liquid glass and meguiars, thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2002, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by azn5ucka86
nah, i don't have a garage to park in so i don't want to use anything too expensive to shine the car, because in the part of san francisco that i'm from, the mornings are extremely cold, and alot of moisture gets on it, and then the winds blow the crap off the trees and sticks to the car, so basically i gotta wash my car every week or so

thats why i wanted to find something low price range, so that i can use it when i wash the car everyweek and not "waste" the wax coat by having all the dirt stick to the car then having to wash it again
More reason to use Zaino. It helps keep dirt from sticking to the
car, unlike waxes. I've finally converted. Wax is crap... it's gets
dirty too fast and dirt gets stuck to the paint much easier. One
good Zaino treatment and you won't need to rezaino for 3 months.
Just wash and z6 if you like. I say, if you still want to go the cheap
method get any brand scratch remover and cover it with Nufinish.
If you're gonna buy meguiars, you might as well get zaino for almost
the same price.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

hmm..it sounds like you have to use alot of zaino products when using it on your car, is there just one bottle that i can get that will just shine up the car, how much would that be?
Old 04-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Liquid glass is what I used to use!
Old 04-21-2002, 10:18 PM
Instructor

I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but in response to what cob3683 said, I have read several places that say Zymol suxks ass. Especially the $200 a bottle stuff. There was a comparison a few months ago between Zymol (Expensive), Zymol (Cheap) , Meguires(sp?), and Zaino. Zaino was the best by a lot and they said the expensive Zymol wasn't any better than the Wal- Mart stuff. I know that you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but this seamed pretty legit. Just goes to show you that the most expensive is not always the best.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:25 PM
... and my CL-S wuvs me

Originally posted by chizad1980
There was a comparison a few months ago between Zymol (Expensive), Zymol (Cheap) , Meguires(sp?), and Zaino.
I think this is the test you're referring to (from NSXSC.com):

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
Old 04-22-2002, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Yeah, that's it. Good find IWuvMyCL-S.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:32 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by chizad1980
I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but in response to what cob3683 said, I have read several places that say Zymol suxks ass. Especially the $200 a bottle stuff. There was a comparison a few months ago between Zymol (Expensive), Zymol (Cheap) , Meguires(sp?), and Zaino. Zaino was the best by a lot and they said the expensive Zymol wasn't any better than the Wal- Mart stuff. I know that you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but this seamed pretty legit. Just goes to show you that the most expensive is not always the best.
Thats cool, I am glad you looked it up. The Zymol though worked great for me and I stil love it. $200 is ridiculous though. I may one day try zaino when my Meguiars prof comes in. Not about to fork out another $100+ on car wash shit.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:06 AM
5th Gear

I think Zaino is the best product to use. I, like cob3683 used Zymol Concours Estate Wax. Great product, just very expansive. I could get mine for $139.00. You need to use their technic to apply. You used your bare hand to apply it. Your skin melted the wax. (You only used a little and wasted nothing.) You work on just a very small area . It was just very time consuming. You also used a pre wax type product first that took a long time to take off. The Creame / Carbon wax that Zymol also sells sucks. Klasse and Meguiars is pretty good. But nothing beats Zaino. Like Zymol, you need to follow the direction closely with Zaino and nothing can go wrong.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

yes thats true. i also read that test done on the hood of the nsx and the cheacp zymol was actually second behind zaino of couse and ahead of the expensive $200 zymol.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

i use klasse. look it up. its good all-in-one stuff
Old 05-11-2002, 03:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm too using Meguires. it's really good stuff when you put it on put after a week you have to reapply it because dirt still stick on my car like it's thier job.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Any takers?:

http://www.zymol.com/vintage2.htm

Check out that "discount"...
Old 04-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Instructor

I've been using liquid glass, it's ok particularly if using clay bar first.

It depends, my daughter's car never leaves the community and shines
and doesn't get too dirty and washes good. Then my car into the industrial
section and trucker area and a dirty piece of interstate every day needs waxed every 4-6 weeks. The first 3-4 washes are fine with liquid glass then it gets weaker.

Then I tried Mothers FX spray wax over the liquid glass. Very nice.
Much better shine and it is over liquid glass.

Next I am removing liquid glass ( with dish soap ? ) and using
full mother's FX but I won't know about durability for a while.
I love the shine of this stuff and first two washes were good.
The spray wax is going great and the full wax should be better.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rise
me too.

its great.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

I use Blackfire and have been very happy...

For $50 or so, you're in... Only 2 steps the first go around, the polish and then the all finish paint protection. After that initial polish, you only need the AFPP as needed... (Since the polymer needs a nice surface to bond to, free of any of that crappy wax!)

So... It's cheaper... Has less steps for you (no remembering Z2, then Z288, etc... ), and still gets you kick ass shine and protection.

Got mine from ProperAutocare.com

I feel safe recomending them. They are top notch.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by Closer
Just wash and z6 if you like.
Any quality polymer paint sealant will do the same thing. Liquid Glass shines 100X better than any meguiars product and costs $18 a can. That can will last you atleast a year. Pep Boys sells both the LG Pre-cleaner and LG Polish...both are about $25 total.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by rise
I use Klasse too, this weekend actually..great stuff!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Instructor

If not Zaino, try Rejex

I ran my own detailing business for several years when I was younger, and I have likely used/tried over 50 brands of wax/polish. I much prefer polymer-based products, as they tend to last longer, create less mess (dusting), and be easier to use. I discovered Zaino Bros products about six years ago, and I still think they have the best product on the market. There are multiple steps to it, but I personally feel that the steps they ask you to take are what *should* be done before using *anyone's* wax/polish on your car. Here's my "once-a-year" full detail technique, for both the paint, and the wheels:

1. Wash the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid (NOT what you usually want to use, as it strips off any wax on the car)

2. Use a professional bar of paint-detailing clay to remove all contaminents from the paint surface. They are available both online and at local auto-parts stores for under $20. (this may seem like overkill, but it *really* makes the difference, and allows the polish you use to adhere directly to the clear coat surface, without any old wax or road grime getting sealed in)

3. Re-wash the car and wheels with Dawn to remove any clay residue

4. NOW your car is ready for waxing/polishing.

Like I said, my favorite products are Zaino Bros, but I also recommend a product I've been using for about two years called Rejex. It's more of a one-step product, but I don't think it creates quite the same level of gloss/shine as Zaino does. However, I think it lasts almost as long as Zaino. After the steps above, I use Rejex on friends' and family cars, who aren't going to care about "show car" shine. I strictly use Zaino Bros products on every part of my car and wheels.

Additionally, if you haven't used Rain-X before on all of your exterior glass, get some! My family has been using it for almost 15 years now, and each time I ride/drive in a car without it in the rain, I don't see (pun intended) how people can drive without it! If you want to take that a step further, you can buy a product called AquaPel, made by PPG. This is a longer-lasting (but more expensive) coating for your windows. This comes standard on the front glass of Lexus vehicles when purchased new. Usually it's sold for around $30 an application by "professionals" but I've bought it on eBay before, for about $5 an application (it lasts about 6-8 months per app.) I had a 24-case delivered to me for about $112 with shipping included.

Randy

www.zainobros.com

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/
Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Go Horns!

anyone ever zaino a white car? I wonder if it looks better than other stuff. My black TL looks hot when I use zaino. I just wonder if it is worth it (or a waste) to switch from Meguiers NXT to Zaino on my pearl white Maxima.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyChicago
I ran my own detailing business for several years when I was younger, and I have likely used/tried over 50 brands of wax/polish. I much prefer polymer-based products, as they tend to last longer, create less mess (dusting), and be easier to use. I discovered Zaino Bros products about six years ago, and I still think they have the best product on the market. There are multiple steps to it, but I personally feel that the steps they ask you to take are what *should* be done before using *anyone's* wax/polish on your car. Here's my "once-a-year" full detail technique, for both the paint, and the wheels:

1. Wash the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid (NOT what you usually want to use, as it strips off any wax on the car)

2. Use a professional bar of paint-detailing clay to remove all contaminents from the paint surface. They are available both online and at local auto-parts stores for under $20. (this may seem like overkill, but it *really* makes the difference, and allows the polish you use to adhere directly to the clear coat surface, without any old wax or road grime getting sealed in)

3. Re-wash the car and wheels with Dawn to remove any clay residue

4. NOW your car is ready for waxing/polishing.

Like I said, my favorite products are Zaino Bros, but I also recommend a product I've been using for about two years called Rejex. It's more of a one-step product, but I don't think it creates quite the same level of gloss/shine as Zaino does. However, I think it lasts almost as long as Zaino. After the steps above, I use Rejex on friends' and family cars, who aren't going to care about "show car" shine. I strictly use Zaino Bros products on every part of my car and wheels.

Additionally, if you haven't used Rain-X before on all of your exterior glass, get some! My family has been using it for almost 15 years now, and each time I ride/drive in a car without it in the rain, I don't see (pun intended) how people can drive without it! If you want to take that a step further, you can buy a product called AquaPel, made by PPG. This is a longer-lasting (but more expensive) coating for your windows. This comes standard on the front glass of Lexus vehicles when purchased new. Usually it's sold for around $30 an application by "professionals" but I've bought it on eBay before, for about $5 an application (it lasts about 6-8 months per app.) I had a 24-case delivered to me for about $112 with shipping included.

Randy

www.zainobros.com

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/

I absolutely hated rejex
Old 04-21-2005, 11:51 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsherv
anyone ever zaino a white car? I wonder if it looks better than other stuff. My black TL looks hot when I use zaino. I just wonder if it is worth it (or a waste) to switch from Meguiers NXT to Zaino on my pearl white Maxima.

zaino is perfect for whites
Old 04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
97 2.2cL black

what zaino produts should be used to a good detail on a car? i'm new to the whole car detailing scene so sorry about the lame questions. does zaino require a pc? whats a good clay bar to use b4 the zaino products and in what order do u apply the zaino.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:40 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bigsherv
I use Zaino on my White Odyssey. It doesn't have the depth of a darker color but it glows. It is especially noticeable under parking lot lights at night.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Closer
Just wash and z6 if you like. I say, if you still want to go the cheap
method get any brand scratch remover and cover it with Nufinish.
If you're gonna buy meguiars, you might as well get zaino for almost
the same price.
I've used Zaino and did the all the steps and objectively it is no better than any other wax out there. I know I will probably get flamed by the Zaino zelots out there but be objective. Klasse AIO with a P100 toping will give the best shine without the time and expense of Zaino!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cob3683
Concours estate wax.
Is this the one that they give you free refills for life?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Go Horns!

I use NXT on my other car. It is a breeze to use.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 PM
10th Gear

Question

Any chance someone could post some pics of a dried layer of zainos on a car before buffing off. I hope these aren't already posted somewhere, I've read lots of zaino posts and haven't seen any, so be nice when you tell me where the search button is . I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question either, I just think that some picks of the applied Z-2/Z-5 after haze over could help a noob get a feel for how much to use. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:00 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ol'DoogyDoggy
Any chance someone could post some pics of a dried layer of zainos on a car before buffing off. I hope these aren't already posted somewhere, I've read lots of zaino posts and haven't seen any, so be nice when you tell me where the search button is . I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question either, I just think that some picks of the applied Z-2/Z-5 after haze over could help a noob get a feel for how much to use. Thanks!
You won't see much hazing. To give you a feel, I use about .75 of an ounce of Z5 or Z2 with ZFX to do one coat on an Odyssey. About 1 oz of the same will do 2 coats on my Accord. I apply a thin "Z" to my applicator which is a wash cloth folded in quarters. That does one panel or 1/2 the hood/roof/trunk of the Accord. I let it dry about 30-45 minutes before wiping it off.

Good Luck.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
2 tips for applying Zaino.

1 - Keep the applicator pad moist. I spritz a little Z6 on the app pad right before I put on more Z2 or Z5. This helps it to flow better.
2 - You should just see a very slight haze when you apply Z2 or Z5. If you see pink, you've applied too much.

Less is More.