Carnuba vs. Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnuba vs. Synthetics

As the battle to protect our cars and make them look great rolls on I was wondering what everyone was using and what they had tried.

Currently I am using Griots Best of Show wax which is a carnuba. I have used a lot of Meguiars in the past.

How many people are using machines to apply (I do) or remove their polishes and waxws?

:enforcer:
Old 05-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a PC, and Wolfgang, Platinum, Blackfire.....Polymers all the way....
Old 05-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Instructor

Hey Excel - what do you prefer Wolfies or 4*UPP??
Old 05-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by groebuck
Hey Excel - what do you prefer Wolfies or 4*UPP??
Ya had to ask the million dollar question didnt ya !!
I would say if i had to pick one over the other, it would probably be Platinum....(4*)
Old 05-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
As the battle to protect our cars and make them look great rolls on I was wondering what everyone was using and what they had tried.

Currently I am using Griots Best of Show wax which is a carnuba. I have used a lot of Meguiars in the past.

How many people are using machines to apply (I do) or remove their polishes and waxws?

:enforcer:
Great article on Autopia about waxing, wax -vs- polymers
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/inf-wax.html
Old 05-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Instructor

heh = it's cool I don't think I have tried a sealant that leaves the car as slick as a coat of UPP does man ! - I hear good things about Poorboy's new EX-P (I have EX I would rate UPP and EX a close #1 and #2 with Wolfgang's pulling hard in the #3 spot).
Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Still sluggin' it out

I use "Bead Max" from Stoner...polymers last longer than the natural carnauba's do...
Old 05-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Instructor

http://www.properautocare.com/whichwaxisbest.html

Personally, I like BlackFire and the new Menzerna polys.
Both give incredible shine and last a long time. Both look great on a black car too, which I have. Some synthetics look milky or silvery on a black car and don't have the depth. Zaino is excellent as well.
With the BlackFire products, you don't need a machine. It is VERY easy to put on and take off. The Menzerna - a machine would help.
I think the carnuba waxes look the best on the black car. I really like Blitz Wax and Best of Show is great. However, on my black TL-s, it just doesn't last very long. I don't have the time to wax it every three weeks.
The BlackFire will last 6 months or longer.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Chuck, i agree with you on the Blackfire, its one awesome product. I have yet to find something that works as good as BF on black or red, including any carnauba, S100 or better. And thats about the hottest carnauba out there, well, Pinnacle is pretty good too......
Old 05-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by groebuck
heh = it's cool I don't think I have tried a sealant that leaves the car as slick as a coat of UPP does man ! - I hear good things about Poorboy's new EX-P (I have EX I would rate UPP and EX a close #1 and #2 with Wolfgang's pulling hard in the #3 spot).
Does the Platinum 4* UPP contain any cleaners? I usually use a straight carnuaba wax like Collinite or S100, which has no cleaner (don't like using any abrasive on finish). Just use a pre-cleaner once in awhile. (P21S Paintwork Cleanser)
Where can you find it, online all I see is premiumautocare.com
Old 05-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Instructor

nope

sealants don't contain cleaners or abrasives, they are very watery more so than liquid wax
Old 05-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Instructor

if you like blackfire you will LOOOVE 4 Star Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection !
Old 05-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Do you have a link to this product?
To be honest, I've never heard of 4 Star Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

for four star stuff.....
Old 05-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink Zaino: not perfect

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Chuck, i agree with you on the Blackfire, its one awesome product. I have yet to find something that works as good as BF on black or red, including any carnauba, S100 or better. And thats about the hottest carnauba out there, well, Pinnacle is pretty good too......
Hi again,

I noticed today, in bright sunlight and at certain angles, my black TL with 3 coats of Z2 and topped of with Z6 has a silvery appearance. I was a little disappointed.

For appearance and not durability (because I love to wax my car), what do you think gives the deepest, darkest, richest finish on Nighthawk Black Pearl, which, as you know, has a bright blue metal flake component?

Picture pulling up to the front door of the Country Club for the annual ball, me in tuxedo, she in gownless evening strap .... paparazzi everywhere. Got the picture?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

I have the same color on my 03 TL-s and I prefer the look of a carnuba wax. Currently I am using Griots Best of Show after a couple years of using various brands. I always felt the Meguiars had a good "hard" shine yet offered no depth.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Mother's always work fine for me. Car always looks great.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Im tellin ya, if you want depth, and wetness....Look no farther than Blackfire....
Old 05-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Im tellin ya, if you want depth, and wetness....Look no farther than Blackfire....
Where can I buy Blackfire. I don't see on the usual supects websites. Is that what you use on your NPB TL?
Old 05-22-2004, 12:02 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Only Zaino man!

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Hi again,

I noticed today, in bright sunlight and at certain angles, my black TL with 3 coats of Z2 and topped of with Z6 has a silvery appearance. I was a little disappointed.

For appearance and not durability (because I love to wax my car), what do you think gives the deepest, darkest, richest finish on Nighthawk Black Pearl, which, as you know, has a bright blue metal flake component?
I do not understand what you are saying. I've used Zaino and think it gives the best wet look to the NBP. Can you tell me what silvery look you are talking about. Try using Z5 in between Z2 coats. Here is the proof;

Old 05-22-2004, 07:51 AM
CBS
Banned

You want POP on a dark colored Acura?

Well, first let me say that I have been a zaino zealot for a few years and I just started trying other products. I have NBP TL and I wanted more so I decided to try Wolfgang.

Let me tell you, WG gave my car a more deep black look that's out of this world!! In fact, try topping WG with either Pinnacle or s100 and then get back with me!

You'll love it!
Old 05-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Inquiring minds want to know...

[QUOTE=joganjani]I do not understand what you are saying. I've used Zaino and think it gives the best wet look to the NBP. Can you tell me what silvery look you are talking about. Try using Z5 in between Z2 coats. Here is the proof;

There's no question that Zaino gives a beautiful shine and wet look. You can check my pictures (link below) and see that I don't have a problem with that.

Your picture illustrates what I am talking about. The shine is light and silvery rather than dark and deep. Maybe that's a matter of taste or maybe it's a characteristic of our pearl paint. The shine is mirror-like rather than you would see on the surface of, say, a polished onyx stone. It's hard to describe.

I love Zaino and it's ease of application. I also have a lot of money tied up in it so I am not going to stop using it.

I also love your car. Can you show a picture of your Llumar clear bra? I am shopping for one now and am knee-deep in the BS from the different installers. I've got prices ranging from $450 to $705 for the same thing (3M). I am in contact with the Venture Tape folks and am impressed with their product. Both Llumar and Venture have lifetime guarantees but they are both fairly new to the market.

So, fill me in. Did you research it? What did you pay? How does it look? What thickness headlight kit did you get? Did you do it yourself?
Old 05-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

I love Zaino and it's ease of application. I also have a lot of money tied up in it so I am not going to stop using it.
hehehe, Sal got you !

Youll find Blackfire and many other great products here ! Dont bother with Blackfire unless you have Microfiber towels...They will remove the oils better....
Old 05-22-2004, 12:33 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also love your car. Can you show a picture of your Llumar clear bra? I am shopping for one now and am knee-deep in the BS from the different installers. I've got prices ranging from $450 to $705 for the same thing (3M). I am in contact with the Venture Tape folks and am impressed with their product. Both Llumar and Venture have lifetime guarantees but they are both fairly new to the market.

So, fill me in. Did you research it? What did you pay? How does it look? What thickness headlight kit did you get? Did you do it yourself?
Yes I did research clear bra and found that Llumar film results are good and are vouced for by the people on this forum. I got it installed from Jeremy of Invisiguard here in the Bay area. Paid $595 hood, bumper, mirror, door edges + $75 for lights. Film on lights is 3M. I'd say it is very difficult to install if you have not done so in the past. If you are installing yourself I'll say do couple of cars before your TL. I do not have a picture of clear bra. Let me take it and I'll PM you the picture.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Hey No one can argue that's not a great looking shine on your NPB TL woot!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

I notice that noone talks about using an orbital on their car, I do and can't believe I hadn't done it sooner. It creats a great finish and makes it easier to do.

I have a clear film on the front of mine, after going thru 2 bras. The brand is StonGard and I had it applied by a friend (Formula One - Raleigh, NC) that does it for a living. I was going to do it myself but he talked me out of it. Am I glad he did! After watching him do the mirrors made me realize that I would have killed myself.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Mother's California Gold

Old 05-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I notice that noone talks about using an orbital on their car, I do and can't believe I hadn't done it sooner. It creats a great finish and makes it easier to do.

I have a clear film on the front of mine, after going thru 2 bras. The brand is StonGard and I had it applied by a friend (Formula One - Raleigh, NC) that does it for a living. I was going to do it myself but he talked me out of it. Am I glad he did! After watching him do the mirrors made me realize that I would have killed myself.
Orbitals are awesome, if you spend a few bucks and get a good one, Im not talking about the Homey Dpeots or Harbor Freights, there good, but not great, and they do save time, however results are marginally better than a "Good hand job." Porter cable makes a awesome Random Orbital, and with proper pads, the results are 10 fold what a cheapo model can do...
Old 05-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

I agree, the Porter Cable orbital is great. I have been using it for about six years now with spectacular results. It is the only way to go when its your car and every detail matters.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

Orbitals are awesome, if you spend a few bucks and get a good one, Im not talking about the Homey Dpeots or Harbor Freights, there good, but not great, and they do save time, however results are marginally better than a "Good hand job." Porter cable makes a awesome Random Orbital, and with proper pads, the results are 10 fold what a cheapo model can do...
What model do you have of the PC? Do they come in a kit with pads? Any tips as to good source with good prices?

XP
Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I own the Porter Cable 7424, with the 6" backing plate (hook and loop). I get my polishing and finishing pads from Meguairs. This is the best place without a doubt, most of us Autopians bought here... Great deal, all of the above for $119.00!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks...

I own the Porter Cable 7424, with the 6" backing plate (hook and loop). I get my polishing and finishing pads from Meguairs. This is the best place without a doubt, most of us Autopians bought here... Great deal, all of the above for $119.00!
Will I need some lambs wool H&L pads to go with that? I assume I will.

Do you use the 6" foam pad to apply cleaners/waxes/polishes or just to take them off. I assume Autopia has some tutorials on its proper use.

What's the diff between the 7427 and the other two? Just slower OPMs? Can you use the 7424 for the occasional sanding chore? Rubbing/Polishing compound?

Since it is random orbital, I figure it's more forgiving with new operators- less (or no) chance of burning.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Stay away from wool unless you have some serious scratches/defects you need to correct. Stick with foam pads - The Megs yellow polishing can probably do 90% of any work you would need to do and the soft buff is great for application -

I also highly recommend the EDGE pads for DA (you can get them here www.premiumautocare.com use the coupon code detailcity for 10% off)...
Old 05-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Will I need some lambs wool H&L pads to go with that? I assume I will.

Do you use the 6" foam pad to apply cleaners/waxes/polishes or just to take them off. I assume Autopia has some tutorials on its proper use.

What's the diff between the 7427 and the other two? Just slower OPMs? Can you use the 7424 for the occasional sanding chore? Rubbing/Polishing compound?

Since it is random orbital, I figure it's more forgiving with new operators- less (or no) chance of burning.
There basically the same, the bodies are identical....I have the backing plate which allows me to shop around for pads, I get mine from Meguiars, although im thinking of stocking some on my website from another company, but normally Megs is quick with delivery (Although ive been waiting 2 weeks now for a kit). I use the 6.5 inch polishing pad for normal polishing, and the 6.5 inch finishing pads fo sealants.....PC random orbital is nearly error proof....Theres still room for damage, but that would more than likely occur from incorrect product use, and not machine burning.....