Can an additional coat of clear coat help swirl marks?

Old 10-11-2004, 07:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can an additional coat of clear coat help swirl marks?

Can anyone tell me if I got my car clearcoated by a body shop, if that would help remove swirl marks?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:07 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
No, but you can have them wetsand the car and then add some more clear. Wetsanding will remove swirl marks, but will also take off a little paint.

A good detail job will remove them also.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Boy Genius

I thought a new layer of clearcoat on top of swirl marks will only go over top of what's already there, so I'm not sure it will make the swirls go away. Plus, it's still possible to put swirls into the new layer of clearcoat - better to learn how to take out the existing ones through detailing and minimize introducing new ones.

CLpower, will wetsanding actually remove the paint? If so then you'd be cutting through the clearcoat and wouldn't that lead to clearcoat failure pretty easily? I thought wetsanding, if done properly, shouldn't go past the clearcoat.

lokman, who's new to wetsanding
Old 10-12-2004, 09:16 AM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the swirls aren't too bad, then you can use a PC with SMR or something more agressive such as Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner then use Maguiar's #9 to finish the job. If you still can't take it out, then wetsanding may be the answer. But before doing something that can potentially ruin your paint job, start with something that is less abrasive.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Quote: Does anyone have any experience with Menzerna? I saw their products on Autopia and Classic Detail websites and was interested in their Intensive Polish.

~One mans opinion / observations~

I would try to remove the scratches from the clear coat with an abrasive polish before attempting to wet sand- Use a (Einzett TM Paint Polish) using a firm pressure on a Yellow foam pad; then a Swirl Mark Remover (Einzett TM Metallic Polish) on a White foam pad and finally apply a protectant.

Wet sanding:
For light scuff marring on the paint film clear coat surface that cannot be removed with an abrasive compound (like Einzett TM Paint Polish) Soak some 3M[M s 2000 and 2500 grit paper overnight in car wash concentrate solution, then using 5:1 WooliteTM / Distilled Water solution in a spray bottle as a lubricant.

Using 2000 grit and a sanding block, it should minimize the scuff / marring, then move onto the 2500 grit paper, which will probably leave a haze on the paint.

Use a (Einzett TM Paint Polish) using a firm pressure on a Yellow foam pad (speed # 4-5); then a Swirl Mark Remover (Einzett TM Metallic Polish) on a White foam pad (speed # 4) and finally apply a protectant.

The scuffmarks /marring should be cleared from the paint surface. Wet sanding with a high-speed rotary polisher is probably best left to an experienced enthusiast or a professional detailer.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Your best bet is to learn how to or have a professional detailer help remove the swirl marks from your clearcoat. Adding more clearcoat will not prevent from having swirls or spiderwebbing on your clearcoat. Most body shops who do the re-spraying actually cause the swirls with their rotary buffers after a paint job. I would suggest using a professional detailer to remove the swirls and then learning the proper techniques on preventing them or minimizing them in the future with your maintenance.