Buffing windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Buffing windshield?

Whoever owned my car before me apparently didn't replace the wiperblades ever. I have fine scratches on the windshield that match where the wiper run. It's irritating.

Please tell me where (and if) I can get these scratches buffed out. I can't imagine them not coming out during a buffing, but damn, I'm gona' need a new windshield if they can't be removed.

Whoever owned my car before me, must have had sandpaper for wiperblades.

Thanks, KW
Old 02-10-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had something like that on one of my side view mirrors dunno how it happened but I used turtle wax polishing compound and it came out pretty good. other than a polishing compound I don't know what you could do.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Racer

yup - pretty much has to be a polishing compound of some sort.

I have actually used the zaino glass polish, - my car sits outside 24/7, and after 2 years , the windshield was etched from acid rain, water spots etc.

used product liberally with a random orbit polisher, and it made a marked difference.

weird thing - its the only zaino product to do the "white dust" thing - and i found my windshield needed a good cleaning, as did the car afterwards.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a product that you can order from the Eastwood Company:

Here is an excerpt from "My Classic Car"

Start Blurb:

"The kit contains Rhodite, a powder that when mixed with water on a 1:1 basis, forms a polish that will remove those minor scratches. Just mix the powder and place on the buffer pad that that is included, and then attach to a hand-held drill; however, we must mention that you should use a low speed drill that does not exceed 1,500 rpm. In just a few minutes of polishing, those minor scratches will be gone for good. If you have a question on whether or not this kit would work for you, remember this rule of thumb, “run a fingernail across the damaged area. If the nail does not catch on the scratch, then the windshield can be renewed!” Also, remember that when working with this polishing compound, or any other chemical mixture, you should work in a well-ventilated area and also use eye protection. Another tech tip here is to be sure to keep a spray bottle of water near by to prevent heat build-up when using the Glass Polishing Kit. The kit from Eastwood contains a buffing wheel, adapter for use with your electric drill, and one pound of polishing compound with instructions. Now the best part! This kit will only set you back for $32.99 and that is a small price to pay for increased vision and for those points that won’t be deducted at the next show! You can call the folks at Eastwood at 1-800-345-1178 in the U.S., or at 1-800-820-9042 in Canada. You can also find them on the web at www.eastwoodcompany.com. "

BTW -- the stuff works on tempered and non-tempered glass (side windows, front windows, etc -- call them for details). There is also stuff from others...
Old 02-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks........ I'll try anything.

Funny thing is that I didn't notice the scatches at first. Now it's all I see. Kind of like a little dent nobody else can see EXCEPT YOU !!!!

Thanks again
Old 03-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Adult Supervision

Eric,

Do you have experience with this or now anyone who does?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MikeS 18
Eric,

Do you have experience with this or now anyone who does?
A guy (detailer) said that it can work if the damage is not too serious. As with all "fixes" there is a point where it's better to just "pop" for the new glass.

(If you talking about small scratches and pits, I don't see about a problem.)

As far as using the Eastwood recommended product myself -- no, haven't used it. I do like what I see on "My Classic Car" (as opposed to some other car shows).