Buffer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Buffer question

My brother got me a Ryobi 10" Orbital Buffer for Christmas (rb101). It does not seem to be one of the models you guys recommend. I have never had a buffer before I have always done a hand wax, but on a car as large as the TL it does get tedious and I welcome the opportunity to try a buffer, but I am worried about swirl marks/scratches from either a poor machine, or me doing it wrong. Should I be worried about this make/model? Should I try and return it for one of the ones recommended here like the UDM? Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this model?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The RB101 is an orbital buffer and is used strictly for applying and removing waxes/sealants and nothing more. The machines we constantly refer can be used for product application and removal but more so for correcting paint imperfections. If you plan on maintaining and detailing your vehicle, I would highly recommend investing in one of the machines we constantly talk about.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
So from what you are saying, my best bet might be to use the one I have to do regular waxing since it is a 10" pad (therefore faster) and get one of the better 6" machines for really buffing out any scratches/imperfections?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
A very kind gesture on your brothers part! That lil machine is good for (like Danny said0 Waxes, liquid nubas, and sealants. If you wanted to get a little creative, I suppose one could apply a spray wax and buff in. Im not too sure about wax/sealant removal as the terry bonnets tend to get clogged up rather rapidly.
The thing with those types of machines is/are, one tends to always go over it by hand in the end.
You could always get its full benefit with using an all in one type of product, like Optimums Poliseal, or MAYBE, einszett Metallic Polish.
But I wouldnt venture to deep into the world of swirl removal, its just not going to happen with that type of machinery.
The Ryobi machine is a step ahead of Harbor Freight and Sears though, so he did pick the right, 10" orbital machine.....
Good Luck!! Take some pics to share!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TzarChasm
So from what you are saying, my best bet might be to use the one I have to do regular waxing since it is a 10" pad (therefore faster) and get one of the better 6" machines for really buffing out any scratches/imperfections?
Sorry 'bout dat! Let me clarify, I would recommend just one buffer, preferably a PC or UDM over the Ryobi. The biggest advantage IMO, is its variable speed settings. These tools combined with the proper accessories are much more versatile and will give you a consistent finish whether it is product application/removal or paint correction.