Buffer pads.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffer pads.

Ok so I bought a Porter Cabel random orbital and now I need to figure out what buffer pads to get.

I'm a big fan of 3M (most autobody shops use them) products. So I was thinking of going that way.

I'm not using rubbing compounds, so I don't need any pad to do that.

I just want pads for polishing, and waxing? Also what's a good pad to remove hazed over wax or polish (or should i stick with 100% cotton towels?)
Old 06-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 9" RO buffer. I use a foam pad to apply the wax, cotton terry cloth(s) to take the wax off and then back to a clean foam for polishing. I've had that thing for a long time now and I think I just read that method some where. Works very well though...
Old 06-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Lake Country has good pads. You can use either polishing(White) pad or finishing (Grey) - preferred. Obviously you don't want to use the same pad for applying and removing. If removing by hand, use a microfiber towel.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:39 AM
CDR
Instructor

There are lots of posts and tutorial articles on pads and polishing using the Porter-Cable, at autopia.org, the sister tutorial site www.bettercarcare.org, and on roadfly. There's a brand new article at bettercarcare.org.

The Lake Country pads are popular and sold through many detail supply online stores. The foam comes in different densities; yellow = firm, for cutting through swirls and scratches; white = soft, for polishing and minor swirls; gray = very soft for wax application only. There's a newer orange version which is between white and yellow. I have only used white pads with my (relatively new) PC.

Meguiars pads are sometimes available locally and have a different color code system.

Classic Motoring Accessories (CMA, at www.properautocare.com) has their Lake Country pads on sale in June for $6.95 instead of the regular $9.95.

Personally, I only use the PC for polishing, not for applying wax nor removing residues. All the products I've used (polishes, sealants, waxes) come off easily with a microfiber towel by hand. It's faster and easier by hand for me. But for polishing off fine scratches (which happen in everyday driving), the PC saves time, wrist, and works better than hand.