Body and rim scratches

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body and rim scratches

This was a bad week for my new TSX. I think someone brushed my car with a shopping cart at Walmart... pricks. Now I have some scratches on the left rear body panel above the wheel well.

A few days later my rim rubbed against the curb at a tollbooth. This was really low speed, and I nearly flipped out when I heard the rubbing noise. I didn't check out the damage until I got home... ugh.

Body Scratch

Does anyone have any recommendations for the body scratches? I can feel them with my fingernail and I think that they scraped off the arctic blue pearl and revealed some of the white primer underneath. The gloss also appears to be scratched. Is that part of the paint or the waxed finish?

Rim Scratch

What about the rims? The damage is far more extensive (it's scratched in few locations not shown), but maybe less noticeable because it's in a less noticeable spot. Maybe I can sand it a bit to at least remove the scuff marks. I can probably deal with it just being a dull finish in the scratched up areas.

This is my first new car, so these sort of things really irk me. Thanks for the advice.

-Brandon
Old 09-02-2004, 08:01 PM
ABP TSX

~Body Scratch
Try the Porter Cable 7424 Orbital with some 1Z Einszett Polish unless the scratch is all the way through the clear coat and down to the primer.

~Curb Wheel Damage
Look for a shop that does wheel/rim repair. I have had some success with a wheel repair. Other than that, I would check the For Sale Forum and eBay to replace the damaged wheel.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Racer

you might not be able to fully polish out the scratch, but you can definitely make it look a lot better. You might try touch up paint and the Langka scratch repair kit as well. I've had some good results with that, some not so good. You can definitely make it less noticeable, but it's a pretty long scratch, so it will be difficult to fully mask, especially with metallic paint.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Brandon! Holly crap!!!! Oneida is my home town! My dad lives on East Walnut Street....and let me tell you that Wal-Mart is the best Wal-Mart in the country!!!! Sorry to hear about the scratches though. You never see foreign cars in that town...pretty cool.

As for the scratches...I have a couple on my wheels thanks to the wife and our curb

I think there is a step by step on autopia.org involving bondo and paint, but it's looks kinda involved. I might try it when I get my new wheels in the spring.

Maybe I'll see ya around when I visit the 'rents.

Good luck!