BLACK PLASTIC trim maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
BLACK PLASTIC trim maintenance

The following examples are given for my own 2009 RDX, but should apply to any vehicle – works for my 98 Chevy SUV.

I wanted something that is convenient to use, would last longer than the average vinyl/ plastic treatments available, not wash off almost immediately, not leave a greasy finish (like the silicone treatments), and not leave a black streak down the side of my driver door from the side-view mirror housing black trim – when it rains (like those treatments containing black dye). Typical plastic/ rubber treatments don’t (cannot) bond to hard plastic, which is why they do not last long in wet weather (or multiple car washes).

WHAT AM I USING?
For the past 4 years I have been using Meguiar’s M21 synthetic paint sealant, on my 2009 RDX UNPAINTED hard plastic trim – any color, not just black. Its what I use on the paint. So I don’t have to worry about a white smear on adjacent black plastic, since I am applying M21 directly to the black plastic anyway – and I can “treat” the hard plastic pieces at the same time as I “wax” the paint. Note that M21 does not leave a white powder when it dries – it is not a wax.

M21 does not wash off plastic, because it bonds to unpainted plastic, just like it bonds to the car paint – and lasts just as long as it done on paint. How long that will be for you, will depend upon how often it rains on your vehicle, and how often you wash your car.

Do note that M21 says not to use on vinyl or rubber – but does not mention plastic. I have even used it on the side door window glass (outside only) – just be sure to buff it off well, for a clear view.

For me, M21 lasts on plastic longer than any other typical plastic/ vinyl treatment. I refer to treatments from Meguiar’s, as well as other brands. The exception would be special treatments such as WIPE NEW, which do bond to plastic, and which you can see reviewed here:
LINK: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15039936#post15039936

WHERE DO I USE A PAINT SEALANT ON PLASTIC?
I have been using M21 on the following 2009 RDX unpainted plastic parts. Please note that M21 was NOT used on any window vinyl/ rubber trim, only on hard plastic parts:

Ø Turbo air intake at front of hood (silver and dark gray trim around opening)
Ø Black plastic grill (both upper and lower)
Ø Black plastic trim at cowl air intake (base of windshield)
Ø Black plastic trim on window corner by door side-mirror
Ø Black plastic trim on side-mirror housing, clear blinker lenses, and mirror glass
Ø Black plastic trim on rear door windows
Ø Black plastic trim on roof (where optional roof rack would attach)
Ø Black plastic (optional) mud-flaps
Ø Black plastic “caps” on top & one side of tail-lights
Ø Tail-lights and center 3rd brake plastic light housing.
Ø Headlight protective film (CAUTION in using on bare lens to avoid damage) For more info: LINK: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14061875#post14061875

On the front turbo air intake, the silver trim in particular is prone to hard water spotting, which can be difficult to remove. Acura has specifically recommended the use of Meguiar’s Spray Detailer, but sprays are not as long lasting as M21 or another paint sealant. M21 will remove existing water spots, and help to prevent new ones.

Note that most RDX door side glass trim is vinyl wrapped metal. Only a couple of pieces are actually hard plastic. Do NOT use M21 on vinyl or rubber. It does not seem to harm them, but can be difficult to remove.

The front headlight clear plastic lenses can be damaged by improper use of chemicals. See the link above for details. My own RDX headlights are covered by protective film. I use M21 on the film, but would hesitate to use it on the bare headlight lenses. If you have film on your own headlights, check with the film manufacturer as to what would be safe to use on the film.

But the RDX rear taillight lenses are made of ABS, a different type of plastic than that used on headlight lenses. M21 will not damage the taillight lenses, and will protect them from oxidation (turning white/ opaque).

APPLYING M21 TO HARD PLASTIC:
If there is any previous treatment on the plastic, especially a silicone type treatment, it must be removed. Use a good degreaser, such as DAWN dish soap, or TSP (tri-sodium phosphate). Meguiar’s M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl cleaner will also work for any light over-spread of wax (it contains TSP).

If the plastic part is heavily oxidized, and is almost white, more than one application of M21 will be required – and some “muscle” to polish the part back to smooth, to remove any remaining chemical treatment, and to restore the original dark black finish.

When the black plastic part is pebbled (textured), extra effort is required when applying (apply heavy w/ a toothbrush), and when removing (extra buffing) – use a heavy cotton cloth, for an even and shiny look. An example is the RDX cowl air intake trim at the base of the windshield.

However, once the plastic part has been “restored”, no greater effort will be required for the next application of M21, than is required for application of M21 to the body paint.
----eof
Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
NOTES on M21 and textured plastic

Meguiar’s M21 works best on smooth plastic. When used on textured plastic parts, it can be difficult to remove the dried “haze”, which can give the part a flat color. This does not harm the plastic, but is because the white haze (dried M21) lightens the original color. So black can look somewhat gray. If this is a concern, try it on a small area first. The M21 haze can be removed with any wax remover, such as M39 vinyl cleaner, if you then prefer to use a typical conditioner/ treatment.

I don’t mind the result, as I prefer the extra protection of M21 over typical vinyl/ plastic treatments. In fact, on my Chevy dash, the instrument surround behind the steering wheel, is a bright painted hard plastic. I prefer to dull the look, in order to limit reflections in harsh light. And I cannot use a vinyl treatment on that part, because it is OEM painted.

----eof