Big Dillemma with apartment complex sprinklers and water spots galore...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Big Dillemma with apartment complex sprinklers and water spots galore...

Ok, so my apartment complex just recently had an extensive new sprinkler system put in and oh my jeebus if all of them are about 10 percent efficient with about 90 percent of the water spraying and basically flooding all the cars with water. Problem is, these sprinklers are turned on at the weeee hours of the morning and by the time it's morning the sun is already out and each day there is a healthy dose of hard deposit white spots all over the paint. Very very frustrating to say the least. I try to wash/wax my car at least once a week to combat it, but it's getting to the point the water spots are difficult to remove by hand now even with medium aggressive polish. I'm quite angry.

My only other option that I can think of at this point is a car cover until I move out of this hell hole. Would it be wise for me to sacrafice a few swirls in the paint (later to be machine buffed out after I move out) from daily car cover removal/install or just keep letting these water spots develop and just do a full machine detail after I move out? My main concern is that 3 months from now my paint will be so damaged by these hardwater deposits that the damage will be irreversible.

I dont have any experience with car covers, so could someone point me to one that would be good for outdoor use being exposed to watering nightly? This really sucks, but appears to be my only option as management seems to not give a crap about their water waste....

thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

oh, and after reading up, it appears that the sprinkler water has some sort of added minerals in it which makes the damn spots turn white in the sun after drying...and they're VERY VERY difficult to remove and look terrible in the sun even after waxing...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
That sucks, I had a black CL like yours and the apt at my college freshman year had sprinklers like this. My car was under a roof with no sides but the hood and front fenders got covered in those spots. I would go out early in the morning and dump distilled water all down the hood to remove the crappy sprinkler water but even still they would show.

To get them off I just clayed the hell out of the car but it got old real quick so i let them go. Once I moved I did a detail and most of them came off so I wouldnt worry too much but you may want to look into a cover. I had a cali car cover that I used in my garage to keep the cats from scratching the car and it fit and looked great. I never used it outside but I have heard they are great in the rain but such a pain to take on and off everyday. I wanted to throw it up here to give away since it has been sitting in its bag unused for years but it got tossed when i moved

Good luck
Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
oh, and after reading up, it appears that the sprinkler water has some sort of added minerals in it which makes the damn spots turn white in the sun after drying...and they're VERY VERY difficult to remove and look terrible in the sun even after waxing...
i doubt the sprinkler water has anything added to it, thats just he hard water leaving its deposits on your car...

yes water spots are insane to get off, i would suggest you parking your car somewhere else, or see if you can get them to run the sprinkler system while you are at work....
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
rent a garage in the mean time?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

thanks for the suggestions all

unfortunately parking somewhere else (away from my complex) is not an option at this time, as I have well over several k dumped into it that I'm not willing to risk to thieves. And unfortunately there are no available garages for rent at my complex at the moment. it really sucks...I just wish they were more responsible with the damn aiming and water usage...they're probably getting about 20 percent efficiency due to most of the water going into the street/directly onto cars. oh well...guess I'll just wash/wax once a week and then do a serious detailing once I move out of this place in 3 months. not sure if I want to deal with the daily grind of a car cover...but I think I'll consider it

thanks again
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Try to keep your cars paint protected.. the hard water seems to come off easier of it has some protection vs none!

good luck!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stick is stake with a plastic square in the grass where the sprinkler shoots off to block off the overspray?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by ill45
stick is stake with a plastic square in the grass where the sprinkler shoots off to block off the overspray?
better yet, unscrew the sprinklers or "run them over by accident" that will solve all sprinkler issues. OR you could complain to the complex, threaten to sue for the cost of fixing the damage too.... Or calmly tell them, hey your water from the sprinklers are shooting at cars and not the grass, causing a waste of water and money to you and more work to clean my car up...
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Try adjusting the sprinkler head to not shoot at your car.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i had those mineral deposits all over my car when i bought it used. I had to get a "compound polish" done at the detailers for $300, and it is still not all out. I think it will permantely destroy your paint, so I would do whatever it takes to get it out of there.

Those mineral deposits are exactly what comes from the sprinklers. Get out!