Best way to keep your headlights in good shape---

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best way to keep your headlights in good shape---

Alright guys my car is 2 weeks old.

Every car I've ever had, the headlights start to get hazy and yellow after a few years.

I'm determined to keep these in good crystal clear shape for as long as I can.

What do you guys recommend?

I wash the car at least once a week, perhaps 2x sometimes beacuse I can't stand a dirty black car...

So I'm willing to do whatever will best protect it as often as I need to---

Please recomment tips, tricks, techniques, products, anything!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would, polish it so its swirl free, then get rock blockers or a clear bra. im more worried about flying debris scratching and nicking the lens, but it should also protect from the outside elements.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm actually getting the clear bra put on tomorrow.. but they said its not a good idea to put it on the lights beacuse of the heat from the bulbs it cracks the film and leaves stress lines in it and it supposedly does nothing to help the yellow hazing in the future.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM
The Detailer

I would just protect it with sealant or wax. It's inevitable that it will yellow so all you can do really is to slow down the process.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Denzil
I would just protect it with sealant or wax. It's inevitable that it will yellow so all you can do really is to slow down the process.
why though? why is it inevitable that it will yellow?

given all these headlight cleaner kits it seems a given that the problems are all on the outisde of the lens.

If those are kept clean and protected why will they turn yellow inevitably?

I am not arguing with your assessment, i'm just trying to get a grasp as to what the problem is and why.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
why though? why is it inevitable that it will yellow?

given all these headlight cleaner kits it seems a given that the problems are all on the outisde of the lens.

If those are kept clean and protected why will they turn yellow inevitably?

I am not arguing with your assessment, i'm just trying to get a grasp as to what the problem is and why.
It's due mostly to the sun and other weathering factors. Any piece of plastic does this if it's left outside to the elements. Just think, if the weather can erode pieces of earth away, this is what weathering does to plastic.

However if your vehicle is a true garage queen, your headlights may never yellow.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I typically turn to an all in one product, such as Klasse All In One, which will chemically clean the plastic and leave behind a layer of protection in one step. Another option is to wash them, then UV protect the light with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant, which can help prevent UV fading.

If you keep up with your maintenance on a regular basis, the lights won't fade much, and if they do you can always restore them to a like new finish with relative ease. See Todd's headlight restoration post.

George
Old 05-07-2009, 07:52 PM

thanks for the link and tips boss!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm actually getting the clear bra put on tomorrow.. but they said its not a good idea to put it on the lights beacuse of the heat from the bulbs it cracks the film and leaves stress lines in it and it supposedly does nothing to help the yellow hazing in the future.
Wow, I beg to differ. I have had mine on for several years with no detrimental affects.......RockBlocker for the win.....
Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
whoever told you they dont recommend using the clear bra on the headlights is an idiot, find a different clear bra installer....

as for the headlights, i treat them the same as the paint on my car...i polish and wax/sealant them the same way....
Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Wow, I beg to differ. I have had mine on for several years with no detrimental affects.......RockBlocker for the win.....
+1 We've had clear bra on my mom's '02 Lexus RX since it was brand new (12 miles on the odometer) and on the RL since new. The clear bra has take the hit for the headlights and both still look crystal clear.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have owned three clear bras including coverage for the lights and I have had no issues. The headlight is not going to get any hotter than a hot hood from both the sun and engine.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both my Accord and TL had clear bra that covered the headlights. They really do protect them and I see no yellowing or anything whatsoever. I used Venturetape film.

However, I've seen those cracks in the headlight lenses and I think it's caused by the very thick old school clear bra.