Best Towels to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Towels to use?

Im ordering Zaino has soon as my current stuff runs out, and i have read all about zaino and it sounds fantastic. The only thing im unsure about is about the towels i should use
I have heard some people highly recomend Fieldcrest Cannon, but they are kind of expensive. I was wondering if i could use the terry towels from Autozone (they are on sale, six for $5, which means more zaino for me)

Let me know what you use for your car and if i should stay away from the Autozone towels.

thanks
Old 05-26-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the towels from autozone are pretty rough, not good for the paint. i personally use the wamsutta centennial from linen n things. they are like 7.99 for a bath towel. very soft and plus, great for buffing off polish. if you ever get a coupon from em in the mail, just go by and get some. if your gonna detail the car, gotta get the best because nothing is too good for your ride.

-briancl
Old 05-26-2002, 08:33 AM

I know, nothing is to good for my ride. but im naive and i just thought that they were a good deal, so i was going to get some more zaino with the savings. thanks though for the advice, i would have hated to mess up the car and get swirl marks and scrach the heck out of it.

thanks a million
Old 05-27-2002, 04:53 AM
Advanced

Here's what I'm told

100% Cotton USA only towels. USA ones have to be 100% cotton. Towels and stuff
Old 05-27-2002, 05:50 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I agree, don't go with those from Autozone.
I believe that i you check them, they'll say 100% cotton, but they're made in China or Singapore... there's no guarantee they're real cotton.

Get a USA made 100% cotton made towel. On top of this, do the 'burn test' on the stitching all around the towel by taking a corner and burning the corner thread with a lighter. If it rolls up and turns black and gets hard, its stitches are polyester which will scratch the hell out of your paint.

I use USA-made 100% cotton polishing cloths with cotton threading from Griot's Garage, which isn't exactly cheap but I don't want swirlies! The only thing I use those cheap towels from car stores for is to clean off the glass/mirrors, or to clean the wheels, or wipe my hands after messing with the car. I'll also use them to do the leather care on the seats.

Whatever you use, turn it over a lot so you are sure to expose a clean surface everytime.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For taking Zaino off...I get those yellow towels from Pepboys!!!!!
Old 05-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

I went with Fieldcrst 100% cotton. I got 2 large bath size on sale for $9 each. I also use the Absorber. Funny thing is my car towels are newer than my showering towels. I get shit from my gf about it (that damm car).
Old 05-27-2002, 12:10 PM

Nicky Pass what are the yellow towels from pepboys made of?
I thought that they had to be white are the 100% cotton?

6speed that is a good deal you got on those towels, where did you get them from?
Old 05-27-2002, 01:50 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the yellow ones all of the time.........I know that the towels have to bee 100% cotton.......I think the yewwloe ones are???????
Old 05-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by nandowong
6speed that is a good deal you got on those towels, where did you get them from?
In California, Mervyns. It's your basic department store.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:22 AM
Advanced

One more thing

Are those microfiber towels worth the extra expense? Anyone use them?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:42 AM
Adult Supervision

Okay. Here is the real deal. (And I have a Black car so I have come to know good towels from bad ones)

Yellow PepBoy towels? STAY AWAY FROM THEM - maybe you can dry and dress your tires with them. They scratch like crazy and are not cotton towels. Looks like you have a white car so you are probably not seeing the damage.

All Cotton Towels - if you want to go this route, hit some good store like Bed Bath & Beyond and get some HIGH quality fieldcrest or someother top brand ALL COTTON USA towel.

Microfibre Towels / Miracle Towels - they are excellent but not the ones you get at any autoparts store. Get them from high-end car care sites. I like the ones from www.tacscar.com, www.neatitems.com, www.yosteve.com and www.properautocare.com. Also try the big blue towels - I hear they are really good. They are worth the money and you can never have enough - just don't drop them in the dirt - you'll spend the next 10 minutes picking crap out of it and it will have to be laundered

Water Bandit / Absorber / Water Sprite - I have used an ABSORBER for about 8 years and really like it. You can wash these things and they don't seem to ever wear out.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:37 PM

how many towels do you guys use for zaino?
Old 06-12-2002, 02:23 PM

Is one large towel enough to wipe one coat of zaino off or should I buy a couple?
Old 06-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Listen to MikeS 18,

the towels from www.neatitems.com and www.yosteve.com are by far the best. I use them exclusively on my car.

Not a swirl mark to be found, even under the brighest halogens and fluoros.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by nandowong
how many towels do you guys use for zaino?
6 for a 3-layer session -- details below...

I use White Fieldcrest Charismas (IMO, they're the best) -- I wish we were so lucky...

I've got about 10 of them and they are all white. We got some at Bed Bath and Way Beyond (at slight discount -- and they are the full bath sheets -- but, they are $$$).

We found some more and they were "irregulars" -- perfect to my eyes (and I gave them the burn test).

So -- get a bunch. I use one towel for a Z6 session. A second towel to remove a Z2/ZFX layer. With 3 Z6 sessions and 3 Z2/ZFX sessions in a day, I can go through 6 towels and might even use an extra one to help get any "extra" stuff off the car (from a 3 coat job) the next day.

BTW, look up burn test. Some of the "cotton" towels are cotton but the quality sucks and they can scratch. Some of the cotton towels from Pep-boys have and not pure cotton. A burn test will tell the tale. Finally, if you can to a store -- check out the feel of some Fieldcrest Charismas, vs, some other towels, and then the cheapo stuff, you will know why they are great for NO SCRATCH JOBS.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Listen to MikeS 18,

the towels from www.neatitems.com and www.yosteve.com are by far the best. I use them exclusively on my car.

Not a swirl mark to be found, even under the brighest halogens and fluoros.
Hmmm... I've got quite a selection of microfiber (mostly for doing the inside of the car and windows), and have had better luck with the Charismas for the Zaino removal.

Are you only getting your microfiber towels from those sites AND are you actualy using them to remove the Z2/Z5 or are you using them for Z6?

I've even tried the Z6 with them, but still have the highest shine with the big, very clean and soft charisma...

Tell us your tales and if you've used the Charismas (or other great cotton towels for the Z6//Z2/ZFX etc, what techniques, etc are you now using, differenced? and what particular microfiber selections are you getting from the sites you posted?

BTW, the microfiber stuff I got is pretty nice. The best were some special ones I got from my detailing buddy (big blue ones with zero lint).