Best car wash in Chicago area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
agi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best car wash in Chicago area?

Actually, I'm looking for some good reviews of car washes in northwestern suburbs. I'll be moving to Schaumburg on Tuesday and will have to get my NBP cleaned up well after 9 hour drive from Little Rock.

Any comments/reviews are appreciated.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Advanced

Hey man, just figured i'd give my 2cents for a fellow western suburbs guy. I'm just a little further west than you though.

From what i've learned already, I will never take a car through an automatic wash again. At least I don't plan to. I'll have to find a good plan for the winter months.

The only place I can say is a pretty good idea, are the touchless car washes at some BP gas stations. They don't use brushes at all. The only problem is that if you have caked on mud, or anything thats really stuck on there good, it won't come off in most cases.

However, it does a good job with simple dirt and dust. You can just jump out and dry it a bit as well, as the blowers never quite get rid of all the water.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:11 PM
agi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tigerriot
Hey man, just figured i'd give my 2cents for a fellow western suburbs guy. I'm just a little further west than you though.

From what i've learned already, I will never take a car through an automatic wash again. At least I don't plan to. I'll have to find a good plan for the winter months.

The only place I can say is a pretty good idea, are the touchless car washes at some BP gas stations. They don't use brushes at all. The only problem is that if you have caked on mud, or anything thats really stuck on there good, it won't come off in most cases.

However, it does a good job with simple dirt and dust. You can just jump out and dry it a bit as well, as the blowers never quite get rid of all the water.
What is the reason of not taking the car through an automatic wash?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced

I bought a black Mazda 3 earlier this year.

Took it through a local auto wash a week after I bought it. Get home and look the car over after a car wash. Find a big nasty scratch about a foot long across the passenger side .

I have no doubt that auto wash caused the scratch. The car hadn't been near anything else that could have done that. What's even crazier, is that the auto car wash I took it to was brand new. I figured that a newer one was probably "safter or better" somehow. Boy was I wrong.

The fact is that no auto wash is ever completely safe. It's just too easy for a rock, or hard piece of something to get caught in one of those big brushes, and then get forecfully scraped against your car as you go through. They simply don't clean those things often enough for it to be truly safe.

The only way to avoid such things is to wash it yourself, or put it through a touchless car wash like I mentioned. Since doing that i've had no problems. Of course it's nearly impossible to truly avoid ANY scratches forever. Eventually they're bound to happen one way or another. Auto car washes will simply create them even faster, and more often. Auto washes are also notroious for creating swirl like patterns in your paint over time.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Racer

Talking

I live in Arlington Heights, the best place I've found is Delta Sonic south of 53 on Dundee, next to the Acura dealership. I've been going there for the last 9 years for my Isuzu Rodeo, Honda 2000 and now RDX.

There is a carwash on Golf and Roselle but don't expect much, they're good for quick cheap wash. Then there is Turtle wash on Wilke and Golf, I don't care for them much, too many High School kids and high turn over. (They don't care about their work yet they still want a tip.) You can try TW and DS and compare the two.