The Beauty of 4-step Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Beauty of 4-step Paint Correction

Hey all, new guy here, I was hoping to see some b/a and hear about any methods you’ve got for correcting paint. I’ve become crazy over Chemical Guys after using an interior cleaner of theirs from Autozone. Slowly started building a detail arsenal that I’m probably just short of $800 into lol After buying a real deal polisher, I got around to REALLY polishing and correcting the old faded paint on my 2g back in April.

In my high school years, I thought using a compound with one of those wimpy random orbital buffers with a wool pad from the parts store, and putting on some can wax was the best way to get my Mustang looking good 🤦‍♂️ Years later I bought a d/a polisher, polishing pads, v32/34/36/38 polishes and an assortment of glaze, waxes and sealants. I should have taken some before and after pictures for the results that followed. I spent roughly 5 hours for a few nights in my garage taking my time and trying to work out those 18 year old scratches and oxidation from the paint. There was no depth, barely any shine, and the color was definitely faded. It was like I painted the car with a rattle can and put a thin layer of clear wrap over it. I’m by no means a pro detailer, but those countless hours I spent lead to AMAZING results from amazing CG compounds that smell amazing too lol

I plan on starting from scratch again in another month or so and do a better job than I did before, hopefully I can take some more of the fine scratches out and start with a heavier compound all around instead of thinking I only needed it in a few sections. The first real polish was my first time attempting proper paint correcting, so there was a lot of trial and error. I’m honestly surprised it came out half decent all things considered

Again, tips, tricks, recommendations for products etc let me know

The roof was the worse section, oxidized and faded on about 30%, now it’s almost 0

The sun-faded clear coat on the window edge of the trunk turned into brand new paint

Can’t go wrong with polished tail lights!
Old 08-29-2020, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Nicely done! It's always nice to be able to see and enjoy the results of one's effort!
Old 08-31-2020, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Looks great. Best advise take your time and not rush. Find the products you like and keep using them!
Old 08-31-2020, 02:11 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
it's really beautiful! Good job!
you brought the paint back to life!