Another NBP nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
03 ABP tls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another NBP nightmare

so ive been reading around on this forum, trying to learn what i can on detailing. def lots of good info to soak in. anyway, ive decided to invest a bit more deeply into detailing products, it something that has always interested me and its like a good way to get my mind off things. i figure my current car will be great to practice on, its in kinda bad shape paint wise, in some areas.

pretty much ive decided to buy a UDM with various products to use, from reading around here i like the FS and Optimum products. couple other little things ill throw on as well. i was going to just pm exceldetail but decided to post it here to see everyone elses opinions. i'd like advice on which pads and products to buy and how to go about making the car look better. and anything else. ill keep what i learned to myself for nowjust so i dont confuse anything.

thanks in advance for the help fellas, looking forward to placing an order with Patrick soon

welcome to swirl, scratch, and everything else city!
[IMG][/IMG]

rock chips on the front of the hood

pretty sure this is that "crows feet" stuff. flaking clear,cant do anything about it right?

scratch above door handle. also, notice the paint right below the window? i think its missing actually

fix this with touch up paint then polish?

more scratches and clear coat failure?

why is this paint different looking? somebody repainted it?

more lovely swirls and holograms

and this is my scarred and pitted bumper
Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Im going to let others dig in before I do.....!
I wanna hear what everyone has learned in here, theres a ton of info and an excellent base of knowledge in here.........
Old 05-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
All I can say is that this car has been treated very poorly in the past.

I would recommend starting with Orange pad and OP Hyper Compound to help remove the swirling as it seems pretty intense. Then move to White pad with OP Polish to remove holograms and marring caused by Hyper Compound. Then 50/50 IPA or Poliseal with a black pad I believe. Then follow up with a sealant.

In terms of crows feet, the dissapearing paint, paint chips, rock chips, IDK.....

REPAINT!!!!!!

Sorry Im not AS helpful as others, but I too am still trying to learn
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM
03 ABP tls

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
All I can say is that this car has been treated very poorly in the past.

totally agree, i picked it up from the auction last year for a decent deal, just never really took too good of a look into the paint condition. but like i said, i dont really mind too much, it will be nice to practice on and work on technique. needless to say my next car is gonna be looked at much closer. and im thinking of giving up the black haha. i have my cousins 98 porche carrera sitting in my garage thats begging for a detail job and a few other cars around here for me to work on, i just cant wait to get started

as for repaint, i might just have the bumper and trunk done. theyre the worst i think. i dont want to sink too much money into the car, so hopefully i can find those for cheap. ill give it a day and tell you guys what im looking at getting for it.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Sink the money into to this one. Your dollar will be well spent in advance of something, not so critical down the road.......
Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 AM
03 ABP tls

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Sink the money into to this one. Your dollar will be well spent in advance of something, not so critical down the road.......
yea, you might be right, we'll see. im really curious to see what i can get out of trying my hand at detailing first. and go from there haha.

anyway, so after looking around, im thinking of using the optimum line of compounds/polishs on a udm. im def going to need a heavy hitter for some of the areas, so figured trying that on an orange lc pad for some areas. the body panels that have mostly swirls ill start off with a white pad and move up to orange if needed. i saw the wool pad in action from Deep Glosses G6 detail, and wouldnt mind getting one of those just in case either. to finish up, seems like the FS UPP and danase wet glaze are the favorites. plus, on a black car, should help out.

Patrick, i think i remember reading bout a package you threw together for some of the guys who bought the refurb udms. had the optimum products im pretty sure. any way you can throw together something along the lines of what i was thinking and pm me the details? any personal suggestions would be great too