An Acura dealer-sponsored detail job gone bad???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Acura dealer-sponsored detail job gone bad???

I know I should have done a detail job myself using the recommended products that are frequently mentioned in these threads (i.e., lexol) but being a consultant and always on the go, I decided to take advantage of a complete detail job offered by a local Acura dealership for $199 which includes everything from windows, tire dressing, leather cleansing, etc.

When I went to the dealership to pick up the car, the exterior looked like it was when I first bought it last year. But to my surprise, the seats were even blacker, shiny and very slippery. My car is a carbon black pearl color with black interior. Man, do I miss the soft buttermilk leather that was humble in color. Now it looks like shiny and slippery leather seats as found in older cars trying hard to look new again... :-/

I understand the dealership used Resist All when treating my car and they even gave me a kit (after I HAD to ask for it bc it was mentioned in the coupon). The contents include:

*Exterior Car Wash Concentrate
*Exterior Paint Renewer
*Interior Leather Renewer
*Interior Surface Cleaner
*Window Cleaner
*Tire Dressing

So, am I screwed with the leather seats now or any parts of the car affected by the ResistAll products (www.ResistAll.com)?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I doubt its anything more than another Polydimetalsiloxane resin formula and it will wear off .. try using the Woolite solution to wipe the seats down and remove a lot of it .
Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
+1
Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Over Caffeinated

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I doubt its anything more than another Polydimetalsiloxane resin formula and it will wear off .. try using the Woolite solution to wipe the seats down and remove a lot of it .
Holy cow! Maybe that explains this post: https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/driving-home-hand-car-wash-then-i-realized-683613/
Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Be it Eagle One, Zanio, Mequiar's, Mother's, 303 etc, all the "white-water based" dressings are PDMS. PDMS dressings, (polydimethalsiloxane) by percentage of the resin mixed into the water that is it's carrier to the surface.

303 has a higher resin content, the maximum that can be used, which is why it cost more.
Most of the mass marketed PDMS are usually around 18 to 20%, most professional dressings are between 22 and 27%.
Even the higher resin 303 does not last "that" much longer than a, say 24% content.
Just looks better for a couple of days.
The "UV" protectant adverstising is pure bunk, it is not possible to actually put "UV" blockers in these types of resins and if it could be done, the product would have to be marketed at about 3 to 4 times a higher price, as a UV component is very, very expensive.
The claim of "UV" protection comes from the resin barrier created and the additional shine, which reflects the damaging UV's.
The real advantage of using a PDMS is protection from the far more damaging ozone that is present. This protection is only there as long as the product is. ( Ketch Quote )
Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response, Jesstzn. I had to read twice as I'm a novice at this cleaning stuff.

I did called Acura in response to their follow up survey and spoke with the service manager about all this. He said that Lexol products were used in the detailing process, if not, for most of the car. The ResistAll kit was given to me as a courtesy for upkeep - with this being said, should I dis this kit and give it to some caddy owner or something? And revert to better products such that of 303, lexol, zanio, eagle one, etc, etc.?

Secondly, as for woolite solution, are you saying I should use this to wipe down all this residue or meaning for next time?
Old 08-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd use it now if there is too much on there

http://www3.telus.net/jesstzn/Woolite.html