3M Scotchguard Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Scotchguard Clear Bra

What do y'all think of it? Detailed my car today for the first time since I bought it in August and all I gotta say is Wow! The thing looks like I just rolled her of the lot again! Showing it a little love before the winter hits...

Curious to know if anyone's swears by the 3M bra. I am contemplating after finding a small chip in my hood, which I will be fixing very shortly...Anybody?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Clear bras are a great asset to your front end paint! And a great extra for resale.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:40 PM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ +1

love it.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen some clear bra's that are barely noticeable and look great! I've seen some that were not so great. What color is your car? I've seen some bra's yellow after a couple years but not sure if that was the 3m brand. If you do it I recommend that you research who you have install it. I would recommend that whomever you have do it if you decide to of course make sure they roll the film around the edges instead of cutting them short.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:31 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ That sounds like a good tip.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
I had Ventureshield on my 335 and it was awesome. It covered the front of the car like a condom. I had bought that car used from out of state. When I got my M3, I immediately started looking for someone local to wrap my car. I found only 1 guy . He custom wrapped it with 3m. The price was really good but he didn't cover it near as well as my other car was. I guess it's better than nothing.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Clear bras are a great asset to your front end paint! And a great extra for resale.
Is this something you have on your site? Can you pleaser PM me price or direct me where I can buy it from? Thx.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Venture Shield FTW. 3M yellows after one year, in most cases.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Scotchguard by 3M: RockBlocker offers a lifetime warranty on the 3M for cracking, fading or yellowing for as long as you own the vehicle.
Ive dealt with Rockblocker many times in the past for light and lens protection kits. Its (3M) absolutely first rate. I have the kits on my Expedition and love them!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 AM
The Detailer

It's something I don't have on my vehicle since I deem my vehicle not worthy but I do plan on having one installed when I get my second car.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
I'll let you know in about 9 months. My car is white, it will show any yellowing. But my car is kept indoors and isn't driven that much.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
I had a clear bra installed on my car the same day I drove it off the lot. That was 25 months ago. Looking at the paperwork the product name was FirstCut by VentureTape. They also make Venture Shield which may be a new version of the product, not sure. My car is Carbon Grey. When it was new you could hardly see the bra. There were some bubbles which the installer said would go away, but they never did. Anyway, a few months ago the clear bra started to break down. The top surface is no longer glossy, it is rough to the touch. It is hazy and very noticeable. I took it to the shop that installed it and they will replace it under warranty but it will be an all day job and a PITA. However, it has saved the front of the car from many paint chips. There are a few good hits in the bra that have actually cut the top surface of the bra but did not damage the paint. So I can definitely see the value in the bra, but the particular brand I got cannot stand up to the Texas heat and Sun. I suspect they will replace it with Venture Shield since it is the manufacturer of the bra on the car, I hope this one lasts longer.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,170 Likes on 685 Posts
I installed a 3M bra on my TL and my mom Lexus and they both look great. Highly recommend these
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i wish i had it, i will never purchase another new car without it...
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
10th Gear

I got Clear Bra on my 2006 TL on day one after I bought it and it is great! They are usually precut based on your model car and it only covered the lower half of your hood (unless the shop has a roll of Clear Bra and custom cuts something for you), so I opted only to get the bumper covered. I now wish I had the whole thing done, but really the bumber is the most important to me since there are very few rock chips on the hood. You don't really notice the hood cover unless you have a black or white car. My buddy has the black TL and you definitely notice the line in the middle of the hood, but it is a great investment and will get it on any new car I buy in the future.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
10th Gear

Also, when I got the Clear Bra back in '06, the shop told me the older version of the Clear Bra did have problems with yellowing, but that issue was resolved with the newer stuff that had come out back then. Plus it is warrantied against yellowing so it can be replaced anytime.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Clear Bra is an absolute must me. However, It is a pain in the butt to detail since you have to tape All of the edges. The third gen TL has a bunch of edges for the clear bra, especially if you also have the A-Spec kit.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Summer is Coming

Well I had my clear bra replaced today and I must say the car looks like new. Before the guy came to pick up the car I pulled the old bra back about 3 inches and polished the hood and fenders of the car. The spot where the bra stops leaves a line across the hood. Not sure if this is mineral deposites or dried on wax... All I know is that it would not come up with my fingernail, but a white pad and some polish got rid of it.... after two attempts. This weekend I will finish up the polish on the rest of the car and hit it with UPP.

I wish I took some 'before' pictures... damn.

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I had a clear bra installed on my car the same day I drove it off the lot. That was 25 months ago. Looking at the paperwork the product name was FirstCut by VentureTape. They also make Venture Shield which may be a new version of the product, not sure. My car is Carbon Grey. When it was new you could hardly see the bra. There were some bubbles which the installer said would go away, but they never did. Anyway, a few months ago the clear bra started to break down. The top surface is no longer glossy, it is rough to the touch. It is hazy and very noticeable. I took it to the shop that installed it and they will replace it under warranty but it will be an all day job and a PITA. However, it has saved the front of the car from many paint chips. There are a few good hits in the bra that have actually cut the top surface of the bra but did not damage the paint. So I can definitely see the value in the bra, but the particular brand I got cannot stand up to the Texas heat and Sun. I suspect they will replace it with Venture Shield since it is the manufacturer of the bra on the car, I hope this one lasts longer.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Summer is Coming

One more thing... the new bra is made by the same company but the material is supposed to be better. Well see. If they will replace it if it turns dull then I guess I'm okay with it. I know Texas heat and sun can be bad on all sorts of things.

Also, while the old bra was on the car I hit it with a white pad, 4* swirl remover, and my G110 on 5 to see what would happen. Kind of hard to tell since the bra was badly weathered, but it didn't seem to do much damage. In fact it was a little shinier after the polish. However not nearly as glossy as the new bra. So I don't think I will polish the bra on purpose, but if you hit it by mistake I don't think it is the end of the world.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had the 3M clear bra installed 2 days ago. I noticed that the headlights have a couple cloudy spots. The installer said that I may see slight condensation for a day or 2 until the sun "cures" it. Will the cloudy spots on the headlights go away or should I be concerned?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

The cloudy areas are probably part of the "lube" they use or just uncured glue. You should be fine but keep an eye on it . Give it a couple of weeks though.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 PM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
The cloudy areas are probably part of the "lube" they use or just uncured glue. You should be fine but keep an eye on it . Give it a couple of weeks though.
Thanks for the reply! Im in Orlando and have left it out in the hot sun the past 2 days but haven't noticed anything. But if you suggest a couple weeks, I'll be patient.