3m Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
3m Clear Bra

Hello. I am new to this community. Found through google search. I am a new owner of a 2003 CL-S 6speed. I love this car!!!!!

I have a question about the clear bra. Installed on this car is a clear bra on hood, side of fenders and side view mirrors. I am not a big fan of this and it is in fair shape. I read that clay bar could clean it up but honestly I just want it off the car. I am a detailer and have run my own shop at one time. Never came across one of these before. Upon trying to peel a small corner there is a little glue residue left behind. I am guessing the best way to remove it would be to use a heat gun using long strokes to evenly heat it as I remove it. Followed by a good cleaning and polishing.

Before I attempt to remove it myself I thought it would be wise to make a post and see who else has used these and has anyone ever removed one. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Beavisboots
Hello. I am new to this community. Found through google search. I am a new owner of a 2003 CL-S 6speed. I love this car!!!!!

I have a question about the clear bra. Installed on this car is a clear bra on hood, side of fenders and side view mirrors. I am not a big fan of this and it is in fair shape. I read that clay bar could clean it up but honestly I just want it off the car. I am a detailer and have run my own shop at one time. Never came across one of these before. Upon trying to peel a small corner there is a little glue residue left behind. I am guessing the best way to remove it would be to use a heat gun using long strokes to evenly heat it as I remove it. Followed by a good cleaning and polishing.

Before I attempt to remove it myself I thought it would be wise to make a post and see who else has used these and has anyone ever removed one. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Joe, welcome to the board.

Removal is a pita but I did it on my Civic so that I could have it redone. I started a thread a while back on how to remove it. Click Here
Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Any luck on the removal?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:01 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I got it off. Took two days. More because of daylight then anything else. I used a heat gun, my fingernails and Ardex Body Prep for removal. The glue residue left behind was not the easiest to remove. Rubbing with the body prep left fine scratchs and hazing in the clear coat. After a good wash, I used a wool pad at 2200 RMPs on my 6" buffer with Ardex Smart Cut to remove the scratching and hazing. Diamond Crystal 4 with a soft foam pad to polish after left a bright shiny finish totally "erasing" the hazing and scratching. Finally I used Ardex Flint Glaze cleaner wax. If your not skilled with a buffer I would not suggest doing it yourself, especially on a darker colored car. There is a very very faint line across the hood from it but extremely hard to notice. Its more of a faint color transition.
I'll post some pics when the weather clears.