3M Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Clear Bra

Hello, I just had a 3m clear bra installed on my 07 TSX today. So far, it looks great. Anyway's, I know that it says that it's pressure washer safe, but I am kind of concerned about using a high pressure washer on it. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, what do you all recommend waxing/polishing the plastic with? The installer guy gave me some PLEXUS, but I am not sure if that's really the best stuff. What are all of your thoughts?

Jeff
Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Great move! PPF is a sure winner for surface protection. HOPEFULLY, you polished the surface prior to its installation. All the installers will do is wipe it down with IPA before installing, which removes waxes or synthetics. All you really need to do is protect the film,as you cant alter anything below it. I find using a Nuba, a false sense of security, your actually better off with 303. Its made for that type of material, and provides argueably the best UV protection out there.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Great move! PPF is a sure winner for surface protection. HOPEFULLY, you polished the surface prior to its installation. All the installers will do is wipe it down with IPA before installing, which removes waxes or synthetics. All you really need to do is protect the film,as you cant alter anything below it. I find using a Nuba, a false sense of security, your actually better off with 303. Its made for that type of material, and provides argueably the best UV protection out there.
Would AIO work for a polish?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Hello, I just had a 3m clear bra installed on my 07 TSX today. So far, it looks great. Anyway's, I know that it says that it's pressure washer safe, but I am kind of concerned about using a high pressure washer on it. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, what do you all recommend waxing/polishing the plastic with? The installer guy gave me some PLEXUS, but I am not sure if that's really the best stuff. What are all of your thoughts?

Jeff
If you have any pics of this would you mind to post them? I have been wondering about this process for a while, but have never seen how it looks in person.

Thanks, Giff
Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by leedogg
Would AIO work for a polish?
Lee, theres nothing to polish.........Your talking about vinyl here. The AIO may make a good cleaner though, I just worry about powerful paint cleaners for a sheet of vinyl.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
RAR

Lee, theres nothing to polish.........Your talking about vinyl here. The AIO may make a good cleaner though, I just worry about powerful paint cleaners for a sheet of vinyl.
I meant in preperation for the ppf. I'm getting mine put on tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Pro

Well, I had Zainoed the car prior to the installation, but he used some 3m prep adhesive remover stuff prior to installing the clear bra. After installing the bra, he used the stuff I mentioned above. Which 303 product would I want to use? I just know that I don't want to use anything that has petroleum distilates or something like that, because it will turn the bra yellow. Does anyone know if the Zaino (ALL IN ONE) can be used, or will this cause damage to the clear bra?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 AM
RAR

the clearbra has a clearcoat layer, you can treat it pretty much just like your paint.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:44 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I would not recommend the use of a power washer as it may trap water underneath the clear film, which will cause the paint to become opaque

Clear Automotive Protective Coating (A.K.A. Clear Bra):
Developed by the 3M Company, Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, (SGPPF6) 99.5% optically clear 8Mil (0.008-inch) film designed to reduce stone chipping and bug damage on painted surfaces. It’s a blend of acycloolefin, copolymer and a thermoplastic urethane, a tough, conformable material that is covered by a clear coat layer.

This rugged transparent material will not crack, shrink or peel over time and it resists yellowing, the film and clear coat layers contains a protection to counteract harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) radiation that can cause the surface to occlude (cloud) Testing from 3M reveals that the material will deflect road debris without film damage at up to 60MPH with the standard film. Mid-tone coloured cars, silver, reds, greens or gold’s, the film absolutely disappears into these colour (Product Specs http://www.armourfend.com/images/3M.pdf )

Ensure that there are no surface imperfections before installation. It is important to remember that paint protection film application is not considered to be a do-it-yourself project. For best results, professional application is recommended.

Clean and maintain its surface with ( Z-8™ Grand Finale Spray Seal) or a plastic cleaner (Plexus® Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish) start at the centre and work outwards, do not use a foam pad / rotary buffer / abrasive compound on the plastic surface or detailer’s clay as it will cause micro-fine surface scratches.

To remove minor scratches in the film (tape the edges of the auto mask when polishing the vehicles paint, use a high speed buffer (white foam pad only) and lightly glaze over the material. It is important not to apply a lot of pressure to the film as this may lead to burning of the surface. Use a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to clean out the edge (See also 3M website- http://www.mmm.com)

Maintenance and Care-
1. To clean stains use a citrus based cleaner (P12S Total Auto Wash) polish the paint and the clear plastics separately, tape the edges with masking tape. It has a clear coat so it can be cared for like a clear coated paint; use Zaino or Klasse as they will dry ‘clear’. Use Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish™ or Plexus® Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish for maintenance and to remove any finger marks / smudges (avoid the use of abrasives)
2. What can be done about wax build up along the seams and how can I avoid it?
Wax will leave a white line on the seam, it is recommended not to wax over the seams and wax the film and uncovered portions separately to keep from wax build-up. If you accidentally wax over the seam, just use a wet towel and rub it off. Another caution is to avoid buffing over the seams, which creates a noticeable wax line as well.
3. To remove ‘clouding’ from the paint under the clear bra; the suns heat or a hairdryer will remove it.
4. Removal -it is not difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) and work slowly to avoid breaking / tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) work slowly and be patient. Detailer’s clay and /or 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water to clean any adhesive residue.
Note: a) If the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging the paint surfaces beneath the film by pulling the film at an angle not straight up.
b) Repainted vehicles, paint must be thoroughly dry and completely cured before any attempt to apply film to the vehicle is made, in order to avoid film bubbling (solvent pop) due to paint out-gassing. Check paint body shop and / or paint manufacturer's instructions for recommended cure time and method.

Information resource: http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
3M FAQ- http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Consumer/FAQs/

X-Pel UK Area Dealers- http://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch-world.asp
X-Pel US by State Area Dealers- http://www.xpel.com/and use the Zip code locater.

Alternative products-
a) As an optically clear product (recommended) http://www.invisiblepatterns.com
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Advanced

yes pics please? im thinkin of doin this myself. im pretty handy and ive read all the instructions and videos. Excel, any tips or tricks u have?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 PM
RAR

I would HIGHLY recommend the 3m proform design kit for our car. Just got my clearbra done by the guy who creates the proform kits and it looks fantastic. the design has a crescent cut along the top as opposed to a straight line cut and it is less visible. I will try to post pics when it gets sunny out, but I swear you probably wont be able to see a thing.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Acurazine has a PPF sponsor. Im one of his distributors also. Rockblocker.com. Look him up! Chad is very helpful and extremely knowlegable.

I do not recommend anything other then light installs for the inexperienced.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:37 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I do not recommend anything other then light installs for the inexperienced.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can vouch for Chad. I've had the pleasure of watching him apply PPF to a couple of vehicles. X2 on what Excel said!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Cruisin'

Picx of clear bra application

I had a clear bra applied in colorado springs. This is the URL that shows the entire process.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...rst_widget.pbw

I received an lexcellent warranty from the installers and they are the ones that does the clear bra for Pikes Peak Acura. Going straight to them was more cost effective than getting it done through the Acura dealer.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

[QUOTE=liltonm]I had a clear bra applied in colorado springs. This is the URL that shows the entire process.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...rst_widget.pbw

I received an lexcellent warranty from the installers and they are the ones that does the clear bra for Pikes Peak Acura. Going straight to them was more cost effective than getting it done through the Acura dealer. My clear bra was applied by RM Window Tint