05 TL Nose Mask -bra- care??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005 | 04:19 PM
3rd Gear

05 TL Nose Mask -bra- care??

I just installed an Acura nose mask (or bra) on my 05 TL Navi. It is Love Bug season in Florida and those things literally etch the paint if you don't get them off within 24 hours so this is a handy accessory. The bra instructions are full of warnings about taking the mask off if it gets wet and to not allow water to get trapped underneath it because the paint may cloud. It took 20 minutes to put the thing on and I don't feel like removing and replacing it every time it rains or I wash the car. I had one on a Toyota for 4 years, rain or shine, and it never damaged the paint. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005 | 07:49 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

I take mine off when it gets wet... Sometimes a day or two will pass, but mostly, if she gets rained on, it comes off to dry and I'll drive a day or two without it. Even when it doesn't rain, I will take it off every 7-10 days and make sure that any dust that got down in there is removed.

Best thing, if you don't wanna take that bra off that often, is to keep a good healthy several coats of wax or sealant under there at all times. (Which you should do anyways!) It should minimize damage and protect as best as could be expected.
Old 05-02-2005 | 08:48 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Auto Mask:
Porsche invented the fabric auto mask (the so-called car bra) in the late sixties, when the factory still individually road tested every car, and because they used the local roads around the factory, a temporary fabric mask was put on the car, to protect the new paint.

It was never intended to be permanent, because no matter how careful you are, no matter how clean you keep your car, the fabric bra will eventually cause a tremendous amount of paint damage as they trap dust and road grit and vibrate in the wind. They should be removed if it becomes wet, if water becomes trapped between the cover and the paint it causes the paint to cloud. It will also cause uneven fading because the paint underneath them is not exposed to sunlight like the rest of the vehicle.

A more viable alternative is a pressed, polished thermoplastic vinyl (X-Pel™, Amour Glove, 3M) made from an optically clear 12-Mil clear film that has been treated not to occlude (yellow) its virtually indestructible in normal use and adherer’s to the cars paint surface. Available in custom, laser cut templates that are available for virtually all car models, and many parts of the car. Ensure that there are no surface imperfections before installation

Clean and maintain its surface with Z-8 Grand Finale™ Spray Seal) or a plastic cleaner (Plexus® Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish) start at the centre and work outwards, do not use a foam pad / rotary buffer / abrasive compound on the plastic surface. Tape the edges of the auto mask when polishing the vehicles paint.
JonM