AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions (https://acurazine.com/forums/tl-tlx-frequently-asked-questions-95/)
-   -   Navi to video (https://acurazine.com/forums/tl-tlx-frequently-asked-questions-95/navi-video-546092/)

ArN 2000 TL 11-03-2001 02:08 PM

Navi to video

Originally posted by SteveStMS
It was probably me who removed the instructions by editing the post. Since Pioneer discontinued the AVC-RGB1 decoder and it's become difficult to locate, I didn't bother to repost.
Why would you do that? A lot of people can still get them through distributors especially here in the Northeast. Can you repost? Thanks

systek 11-07-2001 02:20 AM

Posting Pix

if anyone does this conversion and can take pix and post them, that would be a god send....!:)

thescoundrel 11-08-2001 07:11 PM

when hooking up the decoder to the navi via relays instead of the 4pdt switch. are you making connections to the navi computer in the trunk?

thanks in advance to stevestms for all his info.

Acura3200 11-14-2001 03:26 PM

Make sticky in forum?? People keep looking for this and aren't finding...

Mstyle 11-15-2001 01:17 AM

Thank you....!!!!! Can someone post some pics from the RGB instructions? It seems kind of confusing but I want to try it. Hey ANdrew any luck where to find this RGB module???

ArN 2000 TL 11-15-2001 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Mstyle
Thank you....!!!!! Can someone post some pics from the RGB instructions? It seems kind of confusing but I want to try it. Hey ANdrew any luck where to find this RGB module???
I haven't looked in a while, but it'll be hard because they are discontinued :(

I don't think anyone has posted pics of the installation procedure yet.

yee 11-15-2001 01:58 PM

I'll post some pictures over the weekend (maybe Monday)...right now I have the box soldered and I planning on hooking it up...wish me luck! :D

systek 11-19-2001 03:53 PM

Originally posted by yee
I'll post some pictures over the weekend (maybe Monday)...right now I have the box soldered and I planning on hooking it up...wish me luck! :D

im still waiting for those pix.... s

yee 11-20-2001 03:08 PM

dude...I took the pictures...but I lost my software to read my smart card...gimme a day or two...

yee 11-20-2001 08:48 PM

finally, sorry about the delay...

Steve, Ken...please tell me if you see anything wrong with it, thanks. :)

yee 11-20-2001 08:50 PM

here's the back of it.

SteveStMS 11-21-2001 02:52 AM

systek 11-21-2001 11:49 AM

yes, more pix pleeeez....

and a few descriptive notes(or cutting and pasting the instructions) would be nice

yee 11-21-2001 01:44 PM

a few descriptions..refering to Steve's instructions

#4 - the red wire in the back - that's grounding the DSEN part
the green wire

#5 is the part where I'd bend out a metal piece so the grey wire can go through

#6 is soldering the 4 conductor wires and grounding it to the back of the circuit board.

-------------------------------------
do give me time, I'm new at this, :)
I'll take pictures of the 4pdt relay and have it post by Friday (hopefully)...

--------------------------------------
Steve,
the power wire for the RGB box...it has an orange wire...and it's labeled "+battery"...do I just leave it alone?
also, the 4pdt relay requires me to draw current from somewhere to throw the switch around. I'd sorta figured that I could use the blue wire (from the RGB box) for my +'ve current, but I'm not sure where I could get the -'ve.
If I take it from the battery...will it be too much? or can I take it from the NAV-DVD, my headunit or from the cigarette lighter?

yee 11-21-2001 01:49 PM

here...I thought this should be posted here too...

I had some question about connecting the stuff...and Kensteele & SteveStMS had kindly direct me the steps.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=27043

yee 11-27-2001 02:33 PM

sorry for the delay...
here are pictures of the stuff I have to build this thing

the purple button is for the relay...
I made a hole thru the blank button to fit the switch.

yee 11-27-2001 02:34 PM

this is the 4PDT relay

yee 11-27-2001 02:37 PM

this will save me some soldering...the screws make it easier to connect the wire. I picked it up from an electric shop...

yee 11-27-2001 02:39 PM

I plan to install the whole thing this weekend (Xing fingers)....I'll take step by step photo...wish me luck

another pic

dmatsumo 11-28-2001 01:04 AM

4PDT relay -> solid state or IC?

Hi SteveStMS,

I am curious, is it necessary to use a 4PDT relay? The current in the RGB wires should be small enough to use some solid state relays, or even ICs, right? I'm only asking because of my concern about mechanical failure in the relay over time, as well as using software to switch the inputs...

yee 11-28-2001 01:42 AM

you could use a 4PDT switch...saves you alot of trouble (no current needed) but that switch is hella ugly...so I'm going with the reply. :p

yee 12-04-2001 08:26 PM

guess what...

it's done and it works! I'll post picture by tomorrow night. :D
I'll show the pictures of a movie running on my nav screen over the weekend...I haven't got a DVD player for my car yet. :p

special thanks to Steve and Ken of this site for their insight.

another thanks to Danny (a friend of mine in LA). He helped me to connect the power up to the decoder and my relay switch.
Danny is an expert on entertainment mod on cars and he do installations on weekends too!
PM me if you want to get his number. :D

Mstyle 12-05-2001 12:34 AM

Hey Yee...can you post pics of the install to the Navi screen???And where did you get your RGB Converter????

yee 12-05-2001 03:55 AM

I'll post better picture tomorrow night...

yee 12-05-2001 03:56 AM

the relay is wired up to the nav display

yee 12-05-2001 04:49 PM

rain delay

systek 12-05-2001 04:56 PM

Originally posted by yee
the relay is wired up to the nav display
i saw instructions for the switch, but not the relay, so if you can include that in ur post, i would greatly appreciate it...im hoping to do this mode in the near future.

plus, how do u control that relay?

asiankidd 12-12-2001 12:54 AM

hi....me very interested...is the wiring and tinkering all down in the back where the dvd rom is at ?or does the console have to come out? please post pic of the entire step please!!!

yee 12-12-2001 01:01 AM

found this on the CL board...it's another description of installing the video on Nav...

http://www.angelfire.com/super/types...onversion.html credit to TypeSDragoon

as for the relay..it's very similar to the 4PDT switch, except instead of a switch, it uses current flow to switch from NAV to alternate source. So basically, you have the current running thru the relay and add a switch (which is the purple switch I have)

asiankidd 12-12-2001 01:24 AM

does anyone have aim that can im me or i can im them...im dying to get some live on on one help.......sn is asiankidd2 please help thanks

yee 12-12-2001 01:55 AM

yee 12-12-2001 01:56 AM

huh? :confused: :confused:

asiankidd 12-12-2001 02:01 AM

aim= Aol Instant Messenger.......i wanted to talk to someone online...about this navi thing you still on?

asiankidd 12-12-2001 03:55 AM

hey just got a question.....how have you guys hooked up audio with the navi....i heard you can do it 2 ways one with a sony switch, but i have no clue what that is? and the next one is with a rf modulator...does that work with the fm band or something? please explain...thanks

systek 12-12-2001 09:10 AM

some of us need more pictures. and where did u get the rgb converter???

asiankidd 12-12-2001 12:58 PM

question how did some of your guys get sound?....i know you can use a rf modulator but the sound from that is ok, and i know you can use a sony switch but i have no clue what that is....anyone know....isnt it possible to get like a 6pdt switch and disconnect the audio from the navi and splice it with the incoming audio? any body every think about that? ok now you guys know....

systek 12-12-2001 01:17 PM

Originally posted by asiankidd
question how did some of your guys get sound?....i know you can use a rf modulator but the sound from that is ok, and i know you can use a sony switch but i have no clue what that is....anyone know....isnt it possible to get like a 6pdt switch and disconnect the audio from the navi and splice it with the incoming audio? any body every think about that? ok now you guys know....
i would hope that ppl who are doing this mod are not leaving their stock audio system in the car. if u go the aftermarket route, you will need a component that has an aux input. your video player should have an audio output, which would go connected w/rca cables to the component w/the inputs.

my old eclipse eq had an aux input on the back, which i used to hook up my laptop to the audio system. now im getting the jvc kdsh99 which has aux inputs in the rear and front of the hu.

but it sounds like ur going the factory route...which i have no clue how to integrate.

yee 12-13-2001 10:03 PM

with the stock headunit, you'll have to add a FM modulator...
my aftermarket unit came with an AUX, so...it was easy for me. :D

systek 12-14-2001 09:21 AM

yee, you never posted more pix...!!!

yee 12-14-2001 06:05 PM

just finish exams...and check the link, Jeff got some pretty decent pictures in there...

here's one...