TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MikeRadio
I lost you someplace?

You can say XM Channel xxx from anyplace... why this whole deal with the calendar?

(I don't use the calendar for much... until it will sync with my PDA )
The calendar is just used as a written record of channels u have no more room to save on the 12 preset channels....so dave is using calendar to rem what other stations he likes
Old 03-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

The calendar can be used just to store the xm channel name/number when you have used up all the xm presets on xm1 and xm2.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by davethebrit
Hi all,
What you can do is press "info" button or say "information" (voice command) to get to calendar.
Pick a date in the past (just to keep future dates free for other stuff), edit title and put in channel name/description and xm channel #. Now when you list the calendar, voila, you have a reference to channel numbers. Just say "XM select channel # (the channel number whatever) to jump straight from calendar to a channel on your list!!

Cool Huh. <grin>
Dave
Sounds like I clever idea. However, I'm not familiar with the calendar feature, & didn't know you can select dates in the past, guess I should learn more of it. Anyway, as for the channel presets, except for a few that I listen regularly, I can't remember which station is stored in which preset anyway (there're 30 for all bands), so I copy my preset info on a piece of paper. I keep it along with the XM channel listing within easy reach when I need them. Easy enough for me.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jshih57
Sounds like I clever idea. However, I'm not familiar with the calendar feature, & didn't know you can select dates in the past, guess I should learn more of it. Anyway, as for the channel presets, except for a few that I listen regularly, I can't remember which station is stored in which preset anyway (there're 30 for all bands), so I copy my preset info on a piece of paper. I keep it along with the XM channel listing within easy reach when I need them. Easy enough for me.
It would be nice iof the channel NAMES also showed up on the preset buttons...

Also how about 18 instead of 12 presets.. and a way on the steering wheel to do MODe but ONLY XM.. I hate having to stop for even a split second on any AM and FM station... because there is always a commercial playing!!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Has this been Mentioned?

I just noticed vague "blue courtsy lights" which emits a very faint light that "mildly" lights the cup holder area (only veiwable during the night time).

The lights are in the ceiling of the TL, in fornt of the sunroof, near the garage door remote bottons. Moved yout hands in that area and you should see it or you can just look-up and see them too.

Mike Smeezy,
Old 03-07-2004, 12:29 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I just noticed while using the Navi
that if you enter an address by using the "Intersection" location,
the NAVI will display 5 different routes and a button will appear on the top-right corner of the map that reads 1/5 <Next> so you can preview all different routes before selecting... The routes are displayed with in light blue lines.

my 99, and 00 TL Nav didn't have that feature!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you are on perfectly flat road, if you have any kind of an incline, you can shift SS into 2nd at a stop, and let off the brake and it won't creep half the time, gives your foot a break sometimes.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sherlock
Unless you are on perfectly flat road, if you have any kind of an incline, you can shift SS into 2nd at a stop, and let off the brake and it won't creep half the time, gives your foot a break sometimes.
I haver always heard that this is not good for your transmission.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by NOX 3.2
I just noticed while using the Navi
that if you enter an address by using the "Intersection" location,
the NAVI will display 5 different routes and a button will appear on the top-right corner of the map that reads 1/5 <Next> so you can preview all different routes before selecting... The routes are displayed with in light blue lines.

my 99, and 00 TL Nav didn't have that feature!

I think it would display all five choices in front of you no matter what methods you're gonna input your address.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rets
I think it would display all five choices in front of you no matter what methods you're gonna input your address.
It can, you can choose to "show routes" or something like that, and it will go through all five and display in different colors. Often, it comes down to 1 or two distinct routes, as the different options don't always produce different answers. Note, whichever choice you make will be your default routing for all later routes until you change this.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Sherlock,
Pretty sure this will mess up your transmission. If you want to give your foot a rest, use the handbreak
Old 03-09-2004, 08:59 AM
10th Gear

I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE FOUND THIS OUT YET. IF YOU WANNA RUN A DIAGNOSTIC ON THE BLUE TOOTH SYSTEM HOLD THE HANDSFREE AND THE CANCEL BUTTON FOR 5 SECONDS IT RUNS A SELF DIAGNOSTIC
Old 03-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro

Originally posted by sameerqureshi
I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE FOUND THIS OUT YET. IF YOU WANNA RUN A DIAGNOSTIC ON THE BLUE TOOTH SYSTEM HOLD THE HANDSFREE AND THE CANCEL BUTTON FOR 5 SECONDS IT RUNS A SELF DIAGNOSTIC
You do not have to hold them both.

Just hold the Handsfree CANCEL button for 5 seconds and it will say Diagnostic mode on the MID and say twice, "The handsfree SYstem is operating normally".

I do not know what other commands or what else you can do in this mode.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

If you put your seatbelt on prior to starting the car the reminder bell does not sound. All I hear is the passport chirp once to let me know it is time to roll.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by teamtl
If you put your seatbelt on prior to starting the car the reminder bell does not sound. All I hear is the passport chirp once to let me know it is time to roll.
Reminder bell??? Never knew there was one, hmmm I must be doing it right.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:38 PM
SWO
10th Gear

There is neat handle inside the right hand side of the trunk to pull it closed. I guess it is so you don't get your hand dirty/wet or maybe mark up the paint. It works well with just a little tug.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Racer

This may not be a "new" feature but....

I was sitting at a red light listening to the demo DVD and turned my head 90 degrees to the left to watch some construction. I was astonished at the stereo effect between the back left and front left speakers. I know it's "supposed" to work that way but when you actually hear it, it's remarkable.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Dont no if this has been addressed pulled into garage and was on HFL on phone and turned off key and pulled key out and conversation was still going even with door open ,not until I terminated call the HFL turned off,
Old 03-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 04-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Advanced

What coin holder??????????

What coin holder are you talking about. I only have the red velvet type thing where the ashtray would open up. The center console for my has nothing else but the 12v adapter hole
[Quote]
I have owned my TL for 1 month and I just found a "new feature." I have complained about the lack of storage in this car as well as the lack of a good "change tray" instead of the coin holder thingy in the center console....
Old 04-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
I'm not going to go through all these replies again to see if this has already been said but

Did you know that the XM radio gives weather info for major cities at the top end of the dial?
Old 04-07-2004, 04:03 PM
10th Gear

I don't have my TL yet (I lemon lawed my '03 4Runner) but I have a question about the DVD-A. Can you burn an audio DVD on your home pc and play it in the car ?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:36 PM
the Budman

XM weather and traffic

Originally Posted by Ron A
I'm not going to go through all these replies again to see if this has already been said but

Did you know that the XM radio gives weather info for major cities at the top end of the dial?
Yes... and traffic. Check out the following link:

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/n...p?hood=traffic
Old 04-10-2004, 04:29 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I really wasn't trying to read through 9 pages of posts lol so I'm going to have to trust that the thread search function works.

I maybe late on this but when in cruise control on the 2k3 TL-P (probably the TL-S too and earlier/later models), you can accelerate and decelerate with the touch of a button, set and resume.

Yup.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Pembroke Pines, FL

Coins & Sunglasses

The coin holder is in the center console armrest, at the front, after you open it. It accepts nickels, dimes and quarters. There is also hidden sunglass case storage. Open the map compartment in the driver's door. It's at the rear.

[QUOTE=jimmiceman]What coin holder are you talking about. I only have the red velvet type thing where the ashtray would open up. The center console for my has nothing else but the 12v adapter hole
I have owned my TL for 1 month and I just found a "new feature." I have complained about the lack of storage in this car as well as the lack of a good "change tray" instead of the coin holder thingy in the center console....
Old 04-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Deserves to be on the top!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro

anybody wnat to volunteer in compiling all of this?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I'm volunteering!!!

Hey yall. I'm compiling a list of everything here, so sit tight. I'll be done in a day or less!!!!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Team Anthracite Member

All of the new features mentioned on this board.

Every new feature people on this board have discovered is right here. Sorry if it's confusing. Any feedback is appreciated. Hope this saves many people time.

• Coin holder can be removed and then mounted on the map pocket (1)
• When you extend the visor, the whole shade moves (5)
• For the manual transmission it appears that the computer does RPM matching for upshifts. To test it, try this: In second gear, wind the car to say, 4000 RPM, engage the clutch, and RPMS should drop and stabilize for a second. At about 3000 RPMs disengage the clutch and that RPM is perfectly matched to road speed.
• Hitting the same number on the dash as the CD/DVD playing pauses the CD/DVD. Hit it again to play where you left off. Holding it down for a couple seconds stops the CD/DVD.
• Using “Goof Off” on the sun visor stickers helps remove them.
• You can LOCK the trunk from the glove compartment (valet, etc.)
• The front headrests pivot forward and back as well as up and down.
• When you “lock” the window controls from passengers, their window operation switches don’t light up. When you unlock the windows, they light up. Unfortunately, some say it also stops lighting and locks the driver’s window (?)
• There is a seat massage function that engages on rough roads (haha)
• Push and hold the eject button on the changer and all of the disks spit out. Push the eject button again and it stops where you want.
• To eject a specific disk, simply push the number of the disk. The screen will switch to XM, but it will eject. To eject another one, press that number and so on.
• Golf bags fit nicely in the trunk (wheelbase wise)
• To transfer a call to your phone, press the phone button on the wheel and say “transfer.” It also works the other way (to transfer a call from the phone to the HFL)
• Press and hold the Map/Guide button. While holding it, press and hold both Menu and Cancel. Hold all three in for about 3 seconds, and the Navigation Diagnostics Menu comes on. From here, you can see all sorts of interesting info.

For example, under GPS Navigation, you can see in real time which satellites you are tracking.
• You can reset your microphone level to how you talk. You can calibrate for new different radius tires, as well as see the status of many of the cars other systems that are tied in to the navigation computer and otherwise.

Then there is a trip computer of sorts, that somehow provides the data to the main trip computer. It measures in metric. I think it measures your speed in, believe it or not, millimeters per seconds. You can also use this screen to save a log to a PC card (the slot is on the unit in the trunk). May void warranty!!!!!!!!!!!
• To go through commands more quickly, press the Voice Command button, say your command, and PRESS THE BUTTON AGAIN. That way you don’t have to wait for it to repeat! And don’t be afraid to call out the numbers fast; it does do a good job recognizing them using this new tip.
• When you set your seat, temperature, and mirror settings, and then save them, then take out the key, hold the Lock and unlock button for 1 second to link or unlink the key to the car (1 blink = link, 2 blinks = unlink) Do the same for the other key but with different driver and setting.... when you switch keys and press the unlock button, the car automatically moves the seat to the specific driver and shifts the mirrors and stuff.
• HFL Volume is stored differently from audio volume; this means they can each operate at different settings.
• The driver and passenger doors in the TL open extra wide, more than other vehicles on the market. There appears to be 3 “pause” sections (as opposed to 2) where the door stops, then if you push it further, it will stop at another section.
• If you have an incoming call, hit the “Call” button and the system will mute/pause the audio for you, the will resume after call is ended.
• There is a gas cap holder on the gas cap door hinge to store the cap while filling up.
• Voice Command, “Display current location,” and the system will display the address, town, state, altitude, longitude, and latitude. However, the system will also TELL YOU the address, town, and state. Pressing the white circle does the same thing, but w/out the voice prompts.
• Pressing the MAX button brightens all dash lights/buttons. Pressing it again returns the lights/buttons to their previous light settings.
• To have the tilt-down mirror feature activate, put the mirror adjustment switch to the right to have the driver mirror tilt down. For the passenger mirror to tilt down, switch it to the left. If you leave it in the middle, the feature will disengage. When you are in reverse going over 5 MPH, the mirror will tilt to it’s regular position. Go under 5 MPH again and it will tilt.
• Pressing the “Lock” button on the fob twice makes the vehicle beep. But, if the trunk is open or a door is ajar, the vehicle will not beep, just lock. A great reminder that one of the doors is ajar.
• To clear/reset the trip computer, hold the Select/Reset for a few seconds.

• To completely turn off the Nav screen, go into setup, screen 1, and select “OFF DISPLAY”

• To guarantee that the voice command mic heard you, instead of saying 80, say eight-zero. For 18, say one-eight, and so on. This eliminates confusion between, say, 80 and 18.

• Put the key in the driver’s door key slot and tilt it in the lock position. Hold it, and all of the windows and sunroof close. To open them all, tilt the key in the unlock position. You can use the keyfob to roll DOWN, the windows, but not up (for safety reasons). This happens to be in the manual.

• There is a cut in the corner of the upper console tray for your cell/PDA charger cable.
• There is a recess on the right-side of the interior trunk lid to close the trunk without getting your fingers dirty.

If you are on Setup screen, for example, and want to switch the audio, press the Audio button. Do your adjustments, and when you’re done, press the Audio button again to bring up your Setup screen. All of your information there was saved and looks just like it did. Works like the Back button, but bringing you to your previous screen and whatever’s on the screen.
• The Keyless memory settings extend beyond the seat memory, mirror memory, and temperature memory to include preferences for locking and unlocking the doors, headlights, and many others.
• The Bluetooth feature works if your phone is ANYWHERE in or near your car. Your phone can even be in the trunk!!
• In the Navigation diagnostics mode (to see how to get to this mode see, go into GPS Information. You’ll be able to see the number of satellites you’re tracking. While on the screen, push and hold the Menu button for 10 seconds. You’ll see the GPS etail screen. On the top you’ll see you’re speed in metrics. This is how you can see if your instrument panel speedometer is correct!
• If you say select voice commands wrong, for instance “Play CD,” the NAV screen will display what you should be saying, which is “CD Play.”

When using the HFL with a Bluetooth phone, you can still press the buttons on the phone although the sound is coming from the audio system. Handy when checking voicemail or a tone activated system.
• When the CD/DVD/Radio is playing, pressing the Phone button on the steering wheel pauses (CD/DVD) or mutes (radio) the audio that’s being played. This works even if the phone is not connected. To un-mute it, press the back button.
• Inside the trunk, there are to 2 mounting knobs on the upper trunk area and 1 on each side of the car that are aligned with the top ones. Installing it in such a manner that it looks like it splits the forward and back areas of the trunk--hanging in the air like a hammock.
• If you live in the south of the US and
- do a search in the Navigation for all ACURA dealers
- (and display by nearest locations)
- you can go to the farthest location( at the bottom of the list ),
- and select that dealer, in
this case is in Alberta Canada (2180 miles away from Houston),
- and then select any of those dealers ,
- and then select display map location (center button),
- it will take you into CANADA!
• To close, then tilt the sunroof (while it’s open), just press the tilt button and it does all of the work, instead of having to auto close, then tilt the sunroof by pressing two buttons (slide, then tilt). Also, about the sunroof, the manual shade slides extra far back to provide a bigger opening.
• Interior lights go out after 3 minutes of a door being ajar.
• When wipers are on intermittent, and you stop the car, the speed of the wipers goes down to the lowest setting for intermittent. When you speed up to 10 mph, the setting resets. You will notice this when the intermittent speed is on the highest setting and then pauses at a light.
• To make the annoying seatbelt warning chime stop chiming and blinking, all you have to do is simply buckle up! (ahaha)
• The map pockets in the door open/tilt to accept larger items.
• If you enter an address, the NAV will calculate 5 different routes. To go through these different routes, press the button in the top right corner of the screen. It will read “1/5” or “2/5” and so on. Note, whichever choice you make will be your default routing for all later routes until you change this.
• To run a diagnostic test on the Bluetooth system, press and hold the cancel button for 5 seconds.
• If you’re in the middle of a phone conversation and turn of the car (because you’re home), the HFL system will still work until you end the call.
• The TL comes with a sample DVD-Audio Disk.

Old 05-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
carcar, I always think this is Mod's job to do so. But you have done great. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Banned

Old 06-03-2004, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

Tips - appreciated by new owner

Thank you for posting the tips. I have the 6 speed. Are there any differences between the 6 speed and automatic transmission tips?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Racer

I didn't see this one in the ten page thread... When using the intermittent wiper setting, it slows down when you stop. As you all know, when its barely raining and you stop, the wipers don't need to activate as often. The TL is smart enough to know that and slows down even more. Check it out next time when you use the intermittent wiper settings. Very cool.

Joe
Old 06-07-2004, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear

vent hotkey

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, since its becoming a long thread, but:

There is a ventilation hotkey on the Keyless Entry Remote. Hit the Unlock once then again and hold it down. It rolls down the windows and sunroof to a level depending on how long you hold that second press.

Something neat I didnt relize at first.
-Travis
Old 06-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Team Anthracite

carcar that's quite a list and thank you for doing it. However it would be great if it were a file that could be downloaded and saved and printed. If that can't be done, how can one print it out?

Again, thanks for all the good work

Alan
Old 06-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love this thread. Some great tips. here's another one
There's a step zoom function for between 1/5 mi and 1/20 mi, if you hold down the zoom in or out key, it'll take you a little at a time to get to the next zoom setting.

Something that I could not get working, someone mentioned that there is a place on the dvd navigation where it shows you how fast you're driving. I think it was in the diagnostic mode, but I can't see it. i've held down the map/guidance key for 10 secs and still nothing comes up. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Team Anthracite Member

arkk,

The fastest way to print the thread is to click on the message number in the righthand corner of the message and the message by itself will pop-up. Just click print from there.

You could also try highlighting the message, then right-clicking, selecting copy. Open Microsoft Word and in the new document click paste. You can save it from there, print it, edit it, whatever...

carcar
Old 06-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Team Anthracite

Thanks CarCar,

The tip on printing from the message number worked like a charm.

Thanks again,

Alan
Old 06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Windows/Sunroof on '04

Hold the unlock key on an 04 TL for a few seconds and the windows and sunroof open. They stop opening when you release the button.

-Mike
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
XM Radio

When you are listening to XM Satellite radio and you tune with the knob, it will take you up or down the channels but ONLY in the catagory where you are. It won't switch catagories. When you reach the last channel in that catagory and keep turning the knob, it will go back to the first channel in the catagory.

XP

Quick Reply: Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)