Tein basic installed, front end vibration-help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011 | 03:40 PM
Racer

Tein basic installed, front end vibration-help!!!

i just installed my tein basic kit this past saturday. everything was fine except for some washers that the instructions stated that i had to re-use the factory ones but when I took my stock struts apart those washers were NOT there, lucky me i had extra from the suspension i bought for my other car.....anyhow thats not a problem now.... but sunday WHILE i was drinving in the freeway, my front end (driver side) started vibrating really bad when accelerating ... started feeling it around 60mph and it does not go away, i know you may all thing oh you need to get your wheels balanced, but i just had them balanced about 10 days ago and the vibration started all of the sudden.... it has not gone away, i pull the week out and checked everything, uppper/lower ball joints, tie rod, control arm bushings, bearing, tire, lug nuts, everything i could think of and i did not see anything wrong! but the most weird thing just happened today after taking a turn my driver side wheel started vibrating really bad and it felt like it was loose and about to fall off, i was doing about 15-20mph at the time and i slowed down, i was only a few blocks away from my house so i just drove really slow, got home jacked up the car and checked both sides again (front) and again i did not see anything wrong. Keep in mind, i went to technical school and i worked for nissan for a little while and i know what to look for, but this time im clueless, the only thing i can think of is that my axle could be causing the vibration since it is now sitting at a different angle and might need to be replaced... has this happened to anyone here? i forgot to mention, at freeway speeds the vibration kinda goes away for a little while and comes back, at around 80mph my floorboard starts vibrating.....again i checked the tires. no visible signs of bubbles and they are pirellis p6 at 7/32
Old 01-31-2011 | 04:45 PM
Racer

A few of us who have lowered our cars on Teins have come across a slight vibration/shimmy under acceleration. General consensus is the same as yours, axles were worn in at a different angle. Yours is much worse than mine though. I have a slight vibration feeling when accelerating in the 25-35mph range, but no other signs/symptoms of any axle failure. Some people have claimed that they fixed the issue by replacing the axles, or raising the ride height
Old 01-31-2011 | 05:12 PM
Racer

Damn... but yeah that seems to be the only reasonable solution... I have 115k miles in my car, the boots are fine, no cracks or any signs of damage, but I did hear my axels making noise a couple of times when trying to make a u-turn n having my wheels turned all the way to either side.... im gonna change my axles n see if it fixes it at all....
Old 01-31-2011 | 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

If you didn't, jack it up under the lower control arm, this way the suspension is loaded, then check all the components for looseness.
Old 01-31-2011 | 06:28 PM
Team Owner

First thing that comes to mind if it does it even at low speeds is lugnuts. I'll post more once I get home.
Old 01-31-2011 | 07:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
First thing that comes to mind if it does it even at low speeds is lugnuts. I'll post more once I get home.
Plz do, im very interested on hearing what u have to say... thanks
Old 01-31-2011 | 07:08 PM
Team Owner

Now that I've read the whole thing and you said you checked the lug nuts already there's not a whole lot else it can be besides axles or bearings.

A vibration that comes and goes is probably not tires but depending on which way the load is applied axles and bearings can cause a vibration sometimes and other times nothing. I would definitely check axles first. For bearings to be this bad you would probably have noticed noise a long time ago. If it does it mostly under power that's even more likely the axles.