3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yeah buddy, who needs wheels when your TL can fly

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That sucks =/ Those ones on that Bimmer are pretty sick though!

How in the hell did those two small ass bricks support the weight of your car? I'm trying to imagine the delicate process in which they must have lowered your car onto those bricks.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^bricks support some older buildings so it is not far fetched to think that they can support half of a TL (1800lbs) which is fairly light by comparison.

Sorry OP theivery sucks and hopefully they reap their just rewards.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Alien from Mars

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
sorry to hear that. on positive note, atleast your car is safe from any major damage
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately wheel locks will only get you so far since about every tool maker has a tool to remove them without the key and power tool makers now have pretty nice 18 volts battery impact wrenches
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that dude. I hope this don't happen to me. Have fun shopping for new wheels.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
The following users liked this post:
A SiQ TL (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
awesome
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Small world... I saw this same photo on a friend's Facebook page awhile back! Didn't know that it'd end up being a repost from an AZ member. Sorry about the rims; makes me scared to go away from OE on my car, since I live in Arlington and go to school in Fort Worth too.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 PM
7th Gear

the least the wheel locks wouldve done was give those douche bags a harder time with your wheels smh wha goes around come around tho..
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts
Say I found out out exactly who it was that stole my rims, and I have his name, phone number, and address. The law cannot help me. What would you do if you were in my situation?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Safety Car

whoa, how did you find out?

sick Majofo on him
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
sorry for this happening to you man.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I Like turtles

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts
How'd you find out who has them?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am over protective of my car and not that it would do anything but I would beat his ass lol wouldn't even care if I got my wheels back as long as he gets what he deserves but thats just my .02
Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Sex Bom Omb

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Id confront the person in a non threatening matter and ask him to return them back. Or you can say nothing and just take it out on his car, but he can't know that you know he stole your rims or he would suspect you.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Tannn
Say I found out out exactly who it was that stole my rims, and I have his name, phone number, and address. The law cannot help me. What would you do if you were in my situation?
why cant they help you? If he still has them etc etc
Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
If you've got proof they were yours and has them then you should be able to do something legally.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Advanced

They can't help because there is no hard evidence to prove that he did indeed steal them (i.e. no video proof of him actually stealing the wheels, no witness, no photos of him actually with my wheels). But I've done a lot of research these past four weeks.. I've actually become obsessed with trying to figure out who did it, and through a very long process I was able to pinpoint exactly who it was and I was able to find out a lot of information about this guy. All of my research points towards this guy, but it's not solid enough to get the law involved, I've already tried. Our justice system is wonderful, isn't it?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

They can't help because there is no hard evidence to prove that he did indeed steal them (i.e. no video proof of him actually stealing the wheels, no witness, no photos of him actually with my wheels). But I've done a lot of research these past four weeks.. I've actually become obsessed with trying to figure out who did it, and through a very long process I was able to pinpoint exactly who it was and I was able to find out a lot of information about this guy. All of my research points towards this guy, but it's not solid enough to get the law involved, I've already tried. Our justice system is wonderful, isn't it?
The Dexter of wheel thieves. Off the books research to validate the crime, and vigilante justice of criminals who slip through the cracks of our legal system. I like it!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't need to prove he stole them, only that he possesses them. Receiving stolen property is still a punishable crime.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeYes
You don't need to prove he stole them, only that he possesses them. Receiving stolen property is still a punishable crime.
Hope it all works out for you OP. I was just sittin here thinkin like man what are the odds of someone actually finding the person who stole their rims?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TypeYes
And how do I prove that he has them though, without breaking and entering into his house? They're not mounted to his car, or left out in the open.

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Hope it all works out for you OP. I was just sittin here thinkin like man what are the odds of someone actually finding the person who stole their rims?
I took chance into my own hands and figured everything out, with the help of some friends of course. The internet is a very powerful tool. I might explain exactly how it was that I found the thief, but I'll save that until I've actually recovered my wheels.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Maybe a general description of how you figured out it was him? What led you to believe it was him? Maybe that way, we can help you in terms deciding whether you can incriminate him or not.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I can ask my cousin to come and help you reclaim them. http://steelcloset.com/wp-content/up.../09/Dee-bo.JPG
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I took chance into my own hands and figured everything out, with the help of some friends of course. The internet is a very powerful tool. I might explain exactly how it was that I found the thief, but I'll save that until I've actually recovered my wheels.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
In for updates....hoping this turns out alright for you OP..
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
don't bother taking the law into your own hand. replace em and move on with life...I dig that set on the bimmer, too!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Advanced

Recovered my rims, though center caps and tires are missing. Details to come in the next couple of days.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Safety Car

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 AM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I have an AR15 and an AR10... I'd be willing to sit up overnight if you want to "bait" someone... lol
Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Such a tease...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Park with the other Ron Jons facing out to the road and put a camera or install a tilt sensor and see if they come back
^^^ youd be suprised how predictable thieves can be. I had some kids egging my integra back in the 1900's. they were geting me about once a month and I was livid pissed. A 4-5 day holiday was coming up and I started thinking. What did I do when I was in hs on a long weekend. drink friday, drink saturday, and since I didnt have school monday, drink sunday, recover monday, and back to being a bad kid tuesday. So i sat outside across the street under a tree waiting. got thirsty about 2am and went inside. roomie was watching something that caught my attention so I sat down for sec to finish my drink. Well i fucking fell asleep for about an hour and a half and those little fucks got me in the small span I was inside snoozing. still kinda pissed about that. anyway, point is, think like a crook, and catch a crook...

really glad you got your wheels back though. definatly in for story.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
the rims are back....
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Dam it, what a turn for the best. Hope they got their face curb smashed.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that you clearly received the wheels back and was clearly in his possession; I would proceed with legal action considering the centre cap and tires are missing.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
just tell us the story already....
Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I am dying to see the end to this...i didn't even realize this was a month old thread and didn't read page 2 when I posted. Wow...must have been tired.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced

The story of how I got my rims back:
Immediately after my wheels were stolen, I filed a police report hoping that they would be able to help me. And for the next couple of days I began searching Craigslist every chance I could get, using very broad search word.. “rims.” After about a week and a half I came across an ad that hit very close to home. It was an ad for just 2 Falken tires that comes with rims, with specs that matched mine exactly, even down to the tread percentage. There weren’t very much details about the rims though, no pics, no brand, no specs--the ad only stated that they were black. But this was enough information for me to believe these were the exact pair of wheels that were stolen off my car.
I gave this information to the police, but after several days I hadn’t heard anything from them so I decided to take matters into my own hand. I kept an eye on the ad, and eventually they updated it with a phone number. I was able to borrow my cousin’s phone for the next few days, and through that I contacted the “seller.” He told me his name was Erick (for the sake of identify protection, I will not use his real name in this post, but he did give me his real name). We arranged to meet at a parking lot of a mall (one that was about 30 minutes away from my house where the wheels were stolen, to avoid any suspicion of him thinking it was me). When I arrived, I made a call to the local police department, told them my situation, and they dispatched an officer to where I was. The officer was pretty well hidden, I couldn’t even see where he was. We were all ready for this sting operation, but the “seller” flaked. He never showed, didn’t pick up my phone calls or reply to my texts. I figured I was wasting both my time and the officer’s, so I just told the officer he could go. It wasn’t until a few hours when the “seller” finally made contact with me, saying that he was busy with family. I tried to arrange another meeting, but this guy kept coming up with excuses..
I figured trying to contact him through phone about the wheels was a dead end, so I decided to take a different approach. I searched up his phone number into Craigslist, and found that he had several other ads posted. I emailed him using a fake email account about a pair of shoes that he had for sale, and he replied back. With this, I was able to find out his real email. I searched the email on Google, and came across his old Photobucket account. In there, I was able to find a picture of him and some girl who I fortunately was able to recognize, but did not know personally. I asked a mutual friend of that girl if they knew who that guy was, and sure enough they did. I was able to get first and last name for him and phone number as well. The first name I was given matched the name that “Erick” gave me, and the number matched the one listed in the ad. I tried looking up this guy on Facebook, but was told that he had deactivated his account. I tried to figure out as much information about this guy as possible.. and coincidentally the girl who I recognized in the photo had a sister who so happened to be in my summer class that I am currently enrolled in. Turns out that “Erick” was the girl-in-the-photo’s ex boyfriend, and that they were no longer on good terms. The sister was able to give some information about “Erick,” telling me this guy was some 18 year-old punk who was known for stealing rims, shoes, and car parts. I was told that he had even broken into his best friend’s house to steal a couple pairs of his shoes. She also gave me the general area of where he lived, but I was not given an exact address. In one of “Erick’s” other Craigslist ad, there was a picture of a bronze Mercedes C230 and a blue Honda Civic SI (2006+), sitting in a driveway, with two houses visible in the back. Using Google Maps Streetview, I started looking in that area for houses that matched the two in the photo, and was eventually able to find two houses that matched perfectly. All I had to do know was turn the Streetview around and I would be looking at “Erick’s” house. Doing so, I was able to get his exact address. I also downloaded the picture of the 2 cars, and asked some close friends if anyone recognized them. Somebody did, and I was given his Facebook account which had a photo of himself along with the exact same bronze Mercedes. I had a mutual friend with him on Facebook, so I asked if I could log into my friend’s account to check out this guy’s profile. On his Facebook wall, there were quite a few photos of his Mercedes and the blue Honda Civic together. In the photos, the owner of the Civic was tagged—so I got his information. He had some of his stuff public on Facebook, so I scrolled down his “wall” and got his phone number. (Something I forgot to mention earlier was that in “Erick’s” Craigslist ads, he would sometimes interchange the phone number listed with his and some other number). Turns out that the blue Honda civic owner’s number was an exact match the other number on Craigslist. It was at this point when I realized these 3 guys (Erick, the Civic owner, and the Mercedes owner) were possibly in on the theft of my wheels. But none of this was enough evidence to get the police involved. I wanted to push for a search warrant, but the only way that could have been done was to prove somehow that these guys indeed have my wheels, or proof of them caught in the action of them stealing my rims. I didn’t have either of those, so the law was out of the equation for now.
I eventually decided to confront this “Erick,” at the doorstep of his own home. I went with a friend in broad daylight (12:30pm), knocked on his door and both “Erick” and the bronze Mercedes owner came to the door. The timing was so perfect.. for some reason there were 3 cop cars and a firetruck outside his house (they were there for some unrelated event) when I was at his doorstep. “Erick” and the Mercedes owner probably thought they came with me. My friend and I started interrogating both Erick and the Mercedes guy about my wheels. I told them that I knew they were involved with the theft, and that I have police investigating the case. I kept asking them where my rims were, but they would avoid the question by claiming that they didn’t have them. I then told them that if I get my get wheels back by the end of the night without any trouble, I would not get the cops involved, and that they would not hear from me again. It was simple. It wasn’t until then when they admitted that they one of their buddies did indeed have the wheels, and said they will get it back to me by 11pm. We exchanged numbers, and I told them I wanted to meet them publically at a nearby Wal-Mart at 10:30pm. They agreed—everything was looking good. But when the time came and I was at Wal-Mart, I gave Erick a call asking if he was there yet. He said that he would not be able to make it, but claimed that my wheels were sitting at the side of his house ready for me to pick them up and that nobody was home except his step dad. I told him I didn’t want any of that bullshit, but he insisted that he would not be able to meet me at Wal-Mart and hung up shortly. I attempted to call him a few more times, but he failed to pick up his phone. I sent him a text telling him that if he does not pick up his phone, I will call the police. I called him three more times after the text, but he still did not pick up. The whole time at Wal-Mart, I was with 7 other guys, packing heat just in case. We decided to not call the police yet, but to go checkout his house instead. His street was very dark, no streetlights at all. We drove by at a casual speed, and didn’t see anything. I decided to drive further down the street, pass an intersection, turned my car around and parked. Turned my car off and sat there and watched Erick’s house. We noticed 2 or 3 guys pacing back and forth between a car, the street, and his house. This was way too sketchy for me to actually stop by the house and look around, so it was then when I called the cops. Told them the situation, and they dispatched an officer. When the officer arrived, he wasn’t actually informed on what was happening so we had to brief him with everything. I had friends in a different car as well, parked where they could see the exit of the neighborhood. During the time we spent briefing the officer, my friend parked in his car saw a slammed Honda Accord speeding out of the neighborhood with 6-8 guys in it. I can bet that it “Erick” and the Mercedes owner was riding in that car, fleeing because they most likely saw the cop roll through the neighborhood. After we had finished briefing the officer, he decided that would need back up in order to actually go to “Erick’s” house and check things out. When a second officer arrived, they both approached Erick’s house. They didn’t want me to go with them, so they had me stand at the end of the street. After several long minutes they finally waved for me to come by. Turns out my rims actually were sitting at the side of his house, and this was enough hard evidence to have “Erick” prosecuted. When I picked up the rims, I was able to take a quick look at the 3 guys that were pacing the streets earlier. 2 of them I did not recognize, but one of them was definitely the blue Civic Si owner. The cops did not make any arrests that night because they couldn’t find Erick himself. All the evidence leads towards him, so he’ll be the one getting prosecuted. I gave him a chance to just come clean.. give me my wheels back without any trouble and no cops would be involved. I gave him my word, but he insisted on playing games with me so now he’s getting what he truly deserves.
As of now I have no updates on whether or not they’ve actually caught Erick yet, but I can assure you that they’ll put a warrant on him. It’s a shame that I was not able to recover the tires, centercaps, valve covers, and that one of the rims were scratched up. Hopefully when they do find Erick, they’ll have him compensate me for my losses.

-- i didn't proofread, but hopefully everything made sense
-- all of this happened in a matter of 5 weeks
-- both parties involved were Asian (which made it so much easier for me to find out who the wheel thief was
The following 19 users liked this post by Tannn:
Acura_Dude (08-15-2012), ArenHam (05-07-2014), BeezleTL85 (08-22-2012), Catfisha (08-13-2012), corrado85 (08-11-2012), dajonx (08-23-2012), dontTL'em'nothing (08-24-2012), dwb993 (05-07-2014), ebelp (08-13-2012), Healingduck (08-17-2012), jgj925 (04-22-2013), Joneill44 (05-10-2013), JoshD_99EM1 (04-22-2013), lastig21 (08-10-2012), OhhSixTeeEll (04-23-2013), RaviNJCLs (08-17-2012), rockstar143 (08-13-2012), Sick TLS (08-14-2012), Undying Dreams (08-23-2012) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

wow, what a bunch of drama, glad you got your wheels back for better or worse. Hopefully "erick" gets what he has coming.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Wow, nice work Tannn! I did something similar when an Ebay seller tried to F me over. He was very surprised when I called him at his work to ask him about the item I had purchased (and not received after 5 weeks). Facebook and the internet have made it possible for victims of crime to take action on behalf of themselves when the law is unable to due to circumstances.

Quick Reply: Yeah buddy, who needs wheels when your TL can fly