3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield distortion

Old 04-08-2004, 07:39 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Windshield distortion

The lower passenger corner of the windshield on my 04 TL is distorting the view through the glass. It's basically causing me to see waves through the windshield. While it isn't in my primary viewing area, it is still very noticable when driving, especially turning right and is very distracting. This does not seem normal, but wanted to verify before I went back to the dealer. I'm also somewhat concerned that a replacement won't fit in as well as the original. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is part of the "enhanced design" of the windshield which is made of a special acoustic polymer that enhances the DVD-A stereo system. I don't like the distorted windshield and I don't like the very visible speakers (especially the center channel) but the sound quality is amazing so it's a doable tradeoff.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Team Antracite Member

No need to worry. The accoustic polymer makes the windshield keep road noise way down. Definitely a good trade-off.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Why should acoustic polymer make the view distorted? In any case mine is very noticable (distortion) viewed from the drivers seat over to the extreme right. Have not looked for it other places or from other places but wouldn't be surprised to find it. I would not have the windshield replaced to correct...would be buying other problems probably.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:04 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes I had it too, wasn't worth the trouble to replace the windshield though.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The majority of cars I've looked at in the last 10 years have had these vertical "waves" in the windshield. It occurs in the acoustic windshields as well as the "regular" ones. (There's actually not a lot of difference, as all windshields have a layer of plastic sandwiched between the glass layers).

Stand outside of a car's driver's window and look through the windshield from a large angle. Move your head back and forth slowly, focus on the view through the glass, and watch what happens. (It's easier to see when looking at vertical lines, like buildings). Waves and distortions will show up all over the place in most of them. Some cars are much better than others. It's even in front of the driver's view, but doesn't show very much when looking straight through it. It seems to me like taller windshields are worse, and windshields are getting much taller as they angle back more with new designs, for aerodynamics and looks. (Old VW Beetle = near perfect glass). Check out windshields in traffic even, as cars pass you slowly or whatever. It's pretty bad once you start to notice it.

I'm wondering whether the glass goes over some pretty severe heat treatment, where jets of flame or whatever are on the verge of melting the glass, and it droops down very slightly, in the wave pattern to match the direction the glass travels over the jets. The waves are typically fairly evenly spaced, maybe a couple of inches apart. They seem to show up more in the center than on the top and bottom. I did have a PPG replacement windshield once that had waves in the opposite direction (horizontal) from the vertical that the stock glass had. This sure seems like a problem that could be easily corrected, but it must not be, or not enough people notice or care. (It's in every TL I have seen, and I've wondered for months why there were no posts on it, so obviously most people never really notice).
Old 04-08-2004, 11:23 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid
The majority of cars I've looked at in the last 10 years have had these vertical "waves" in the windshield. It occurs in the acoustic windshields as well as the "regular" ones. (There's actually not a lot of difference, as all windshields have a layer of plastic sandwiched between the glass layers).

Stand outside of a car's driver's window and look through the windshield from a large angle. Move your head back and forth slowly, focus on the view through the glass, and watch what happens. (It's easier to see when looking at vertical lines, like buildings). Waves and distortions will show up all over the place in most of them. Some cars are much better than others. It's even in front of the driver's view, but doesn't show very much when looking straight through it. It seems to me like taller windshields are worse, and windshields are getting much taller as they angle back more with new designs, for aerodynamics and looks. (Old VW Beetle = near perfect glass). Check out windshields in traffic even, as cars pass you slowly or whatever. It's pretty bad once you start to notice it.

I'm wondering whether the glass goes over some pretty severe heat treatment, where jets of flame or whatever are on the verge of melting the glass, and it droops down very slightly, in the wave pattern to match the direction the glass travels over the jets. The waves are typically fairly evenly spaced, maybe a couple of inches apart. They seem to show up more in the center than on the top and bottom. I did have a PPG replacement windshield once that had waves in the opposite direction (horizontal) from the vertical that the stock glass had. This sure seems like a problem that could be easily corrected, but it must not be, or not enough people notice or care. (It's in every TL I have seen, and I've wondered for months why there were no posts on it, so obviously most people never really notice).
But there have been posts on this. You just missed them, they were before your time. (also 1/2 of a month of posts disappeared when they had a system crash, so some info was lost).
Old 04-09-2004, 02:47 AM
Instructor

I have noticed this too, Moeronn, exactly as you described.