3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Damage - Intentional or Chip or Something Else? (Hi-Res Images Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Windshield Damage - Intentional or Chip or Something Else? (Hi-Res Images Inside)

Hey all, I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I was looking for some opinions. I apologize in advance for the large resolution of the images, I didn't get a chance to scale them down and imgur doesn't seem to offer a way to post the image in a half size, only in small or big squares or thumbnail size.

I was visiting an out of town friend for a couple of days and I got there Thursday night. It's outdoor parking in the apartment parking lot. I checked out my car as I can see it from their window, but did not look at the windshield as I would approach it from the back and side and I had a sun visor up so I didn't think to look at the front. Come Saturday morning I got in my car and removed my visor to find my windshield cracked. It was not cracked when I parked Thursday. I was interested in hearing if you think this was an intentional crack or did it happen to be a chip that turned into a crack from the temperature or something else. I did have my windows cracked open during the day to ensure the car did not get too hot. Why I think it's intentional as it looks like there are two points of impact, with one looking like it didn't crack and just bubbled, and the second one went through. Also, I am having trouble trying to see if there is a stone inside the crack, but I can't find one. I did have stone chips when I purchased the car but they were repaired by a professional shop as part of the condition of sale. The damage is near the bottom of the passenger side, right above where the wiper blades rest. I have attached images.

Windshield Inside:
Windshield Damage - Intentional or Chip or Something Else? (Hi-Res Images Inside)-qeahu6q.jpg

Windshield Outside01:
Windshield Damage - Intentional or Chip or Something Else? (Hi-Res Images Inside)-owhahdu.jpg

Windshield Outside02:
Windshield Damage - Intentional or Chip or Something Else? (Hi-Res Images Inside)-iz1noi5.jpg

Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I think I it were intentional it would be higher up the glass.

I have a slight feeling it could be accidental
Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Sorry to see this, but shouldn’t be much to get a new one through insurance.

Try to look on the bright side, At least your dash dash isn’t cracked!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Racer

@guitarplayer16, It may well be accidental. The thing that makes me wary is that there's two different points of impact side by side, which makes me wonder if it's from a stone or not. The impact that looks like its bubbled is smooth on the outside. The cars were parked facing inwards in a grocery store like parking lot (two rows of spots, facing each other) so no one would really be walking by the front of them since the cars were all pretty close together.

@Slpr04UA6, I definitely try to keep the sunshade up every time I'm parked, and the windows cracked open when it's warm out. Also helps to keep the dash dressed with UV Protectants, etc. The airbag area did have some lines showing up when I bought the car but doing the preventative maintenance definitely helps keep it clean. I know I can get a replacement glass for not too much, but my concern is that if it's intentional, there's nothing really stopping the same person from cracking the new windshield or doing some other damage to the vehicle while it's parked.

I have spoken with the building manager and they are going to talk with security and check the video surveillance and see if they can come up with anything.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
it could be TWO rocks
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
or a bb gun? I'm not sure what could have caused that to be honest.. Sounds like you should go through insurance and fix it anyway and then go through security tapes because intentional or not, it still needs to be fixed.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
who did you piss off to think it might happen again?
where's your crazy ex? What about her new crazy bf?
Should have been nicer to that one store clerk!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Racer

@thoiboi, It's possible that it could be two rocks. I'm definitely going to get it fixed this week. I've been on the phone with glass installers in the area this morning and read up on the K-049 in the garage, seems like most can't get AP Tech (AGC Automotive), but they seem to be able to source PGW and some are able to get Pilkington as well (Both with the Acoustic Inner Layer). One shop had told me that they can only get aftermarket from China so that's a no go. My main concern is that if it was intentional, is to prevent it from happening again. Stone and rock chips do happen though, and I am usually pretty quick about getting them repaired if I notice them.

@justnspace I don't think I pissed anyone off to be honest. Not in touch with any crazy ex-gfs lol. But just the way the cracks looked to me seemed like it could be from something other than stone chips. But I wasn't sure, that's why I posted to ask. If someone else had a similar crack from stone chips then I would feel more reassured.

Last edited by vpasla1; 09-25-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Op, I’ve done the sunshade thing all the time, even when in garage. Still didn’t stop it, I was just trying to make a lil light of the situation, not to be mean or arrogant I would much rather replace my windshield than dash, but it is what it is! Hope that you can get the outcome your lookin for!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Racer

@Slpr04UA6 No worry man, I didn't take it in any negative way. I guess the warmer temperatures in the south seems to play a factor on the dashboards cracking more than anything. I totally agree about having to replace a windshield over replacing the dash. Much cheaper and much less work lol. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
two things.

the first image shows the point of impact and to me its very circular. Kind of looks like when a BB hits a window.
Second, it could also be a rock chip and it just so happened to spread when you placed the window cover on. Window covers heat up the windshield which in turn expands the crack.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Racer

Hey all,

I just wanted to update this thread. I got a new windshield put in at the end of October. I wanted to spend some time driving before I posted so I could get a feel for it and see if there was any issues, etc. It seemed almost all of the local installers could only source PGW windshields, so I got the PGW Soundmaster put in. I was picky as to who I was going to install, and I looked at all the reviews in the area. I ended up settling on an installer that was referred to me by an individual who used to deliver windshields to the local area. When I went to get it installed, I looked over the glass itself and the work area and everything was nice and clean. The only thing that was off after the install was one of the side moldings at the bottom edge of the windshield, it wasn't quite in, so I pushed down on it, and it clicked in to place.

Onto the review of the actual glass itself. To be honest, I haven't been able to notice any differences in noise between the OEM glass, and this glass. They seem to be equally able at blocking out wind noise and other noise. There were no noticeable waves in the glass and the solar band across the top and the windshield trim looked the same. The glass itself seemed pretty resistant against stone chips as well as I had a couple of occasions where random stones hit my windshield (not from following closely), and I heard it but it left no visible marks. Overall, I have no complaints thus far and if I had to replace the glass again (I really hope not), I would not hesitate to go with another PGW Soundmaster replacement glass.

I have attached a picture of the label on the glass:
Windshield Damage - Intentional or Chip or Something Else? (Hi-Res Images Inside)-ehwg6v9.jpg
Old 12-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
nice! what was the cost?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Racer

It cost me about $320 Canadian taxes in. I think that's a little on the high side in comparasion, but that was in line or cheaper than other quotes in the area and I wanted to keep it local in case I had any issues with leaky seals or issues with the install or glass.