Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When turning key, nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:23 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When turning key, nothing happens

For all of you that have a 2004-2008 Acura TL and you experience issues with starting it from time to time,and you don't hear a crank, your first culprit would be looking at your positive battery cable and then your starter. For me, I would get all power to all accessories and when I went to turn the key, i would only hear a single click. this issue began to happen a few months after I bought the car and got seemingly worse after owning it for a while. I eventually replaced my starter and my battery cables and since then, I have had no issues starting it up. just wanted to share in case anyone is experiancing a similar problem! cheers
The following users liked this post:
DMZ (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
thank you we are grateful
Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Mine starts okay but I should probably clean the battery cables anyways...
Old 07-17-2017, 06:47 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin Garner
For all of you that have a 2004-2008 Acura TL and you experience issues with starting it from time to time,and you don't hear a crank, your first culprit would be looking at your positive battery cable and then your starter. For me, I would get all power to all accessories and when I went to turn the key, i would only hear a single click. this issue began to happen a few months after I bought the car and got seemingly worse after owning it for a while. I eventually replaced my starter and my battery cables and since then, I have had no issues starting it up. just wanted to share in case anyone is experiancing a similar problem! cheers
The condition of the battery cables is not often looked at. I had to replace mine last year. Made a world of difference!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
6th Gear

thanks for the replies guys!

Originally Posted by LeVeL
Thanks for the tip. Mine starts okay but I should probably clean the battery cables anyways...
Might as well check, I read about people who checked their positive battery cable and found corrosion on the end that goes to the starter. So if your battery cable is more than five years old it's probably best to replace it! No reason to risk it not performing properly.
Originally Posted by DMZ
The condition of the battery cables is not often looked at. I had to replace mine last year. Made a world of difference!
yes, it is such a vital part of the car! if the positive cable ever does become corroded, it is very easy to replace. That's another thing I couldn't find a decent DIY For.. I ended up winging it and it wasn't too hard. haha but mine wasn't even corroded, but was very old. because of this I went ahead and replaced the cable while doing the starter job , because the positive cable goes from the terminal, to the starter, and to the fuse box. gave me peace of mind to clean up that connection. Negative terminal is even easier to replace haha.

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
thank you we are grateful
no problem man! I am the kind of guy who always takes to the internet to research when I have car trouble. I was unable to find any forums that gave a straight forward, concise solution to the whole "turning the key and hearing nothing but a single click" issue. it's maddening to scroll through multiple forums all similar to your issue, and none of them have a real solution to the issue. I feel like most people get their car fixed and then don't post the solution!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I recently started having this problem 07 TL-S 165K miles. It says check starting system but starts a few minutes later. Getting starter replaced soon.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:30 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bonnhew
Thank you for sharing. I recently started having this problem 07 TL-S 165K miles. It says check starting system but starts a few minutes later. Getting starter replaced soon.
no problem! I had the "check starting system" warning as well, only a few times, but it did display. normally after it would fail to crank about 3 times the message would show and then it would start.. was definitely the starter! I recommend going to your local auto parts store (I went to autozone) and looking for the Mitsubishi reman.. It's top notch and it's actually the OEM starter for our make/model/year. After the install, my car sounded like a brand new luxury vehicle when firing up! I hope your issue is resolved with the help of this post because I spent a lot of time researching and didn't get any real answers.