3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the big hubub over headlight washers/wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the big hubub over headlight washers/wipers?

Just like the title says, why are they so big news on cars today, and what's the point of them?

Luxury features such as auto leveling and turning headlights, I can understand and see what their point and benefit is.

However I don't understand what headlamp washers are for, Especially on a Benz or VW where they are much more likely to break...

Can someone please enlighten me? Somehow, I never knew that my headlights were dirty...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its a feature that has a minimal purpose...but a purpose nonetheless...thats the whole point of luxury cars.....the headlight washers can help wipe dirt off if u go threw dirty roads or its really raining and u hit a dirty puddle...various reasons...its just something adds to the car but dosn't take away from it....also the wipers are a way for mercedes to make themselves a little bit more original in their own taste. i myself havn't heard anybody brag or rant about headlight wipers...but i wouldn't mind having them if they came with my car
Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
6MT & LSD

Car talk?

This reminds me of 9-3 guys talking about how they changed the directions of the nozzles so that they can squirt the cars/drivers next to 'em. Imagine the feeling of satisfaction when you squirt that bastid that was riding your ass... that's priceless.

I think they did this with their windshield nozzles, too... since they have 3, they got one to spare.

Anyway, they're not a necessity... but doesn't hurt to have 'em. I think they'd come in very handy in the snow/sleet, provided that the nozzles are heated.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Racer

I don't see anyone offroading in a Volvo, which I have seen with actual wipers on the headlights...

It's a feature I noticed gaining popularity on luxury cars, but I had absolutely no idea why it was there in the first place.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by Greg-ster
I don't see anyone offroading in a Volvo, which I have seen with actual wipers on the headlights...

It's a feature I noticed gaining popularity on luxury cars, but I had absolutely no idea why it was there in the first place.
not ATV offroading...if its pouring...and your on a dirt road....the headlights are bound to get dirty....they have no significant purpose....they are mainly for classy show...and the addition of an insignificant function
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that headlight washers/wipers or an equivalent are required in Europe or at least in Scandanavian countries just like self-leveling HIDs are. You would be surprised at the reduction in light output from dirty lenses.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro

Got a customer with a recent Volvo wagon and it has headlight wipers with washer jets and he mentioned that it was useless in his opinion.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

it can be useless based on ur needs.....i don't think someone in the colder parts of canada will ever use ventilated seats if they own a 7-series. or someone in florida will ever use Heated Seats.....
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
it can be useless based on ur needs.....i don't think someone in the colder parts of canada will ever use ventilated seats if they own a 7-series. or someone in florida will ever use Heated Seats.....

Read My SIG, Quebec, as in Quebec, Canada with the snow and road salts and his opinion till stand (Useless has in It does not work properly and those wipers blades are murder to replace$$$)

Some of the upscale cars (Lexus) use a high pressure spray which appears to be lest problematic then exposing another electrical motor to grime and road salts.

As for ventilated seat, they would be nice to have for the summer months when it gets as warm as over 95 deg. F.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by frenchnew
Read My SIG, Quebec, as in Quebec, Canada with the snow and road salts and his opinion till stand (Useless has in It does not work properly and those wipers blades are murder to replace$$$)

Some of the upscale cars (Lexus) use a high pressure spray which appears to be lest problematic then exposing another electrical motor to grime and road salts.

As for ventilated seat, they would be nice to have for the summer months when it gets as warm as over 95 deg. F.
i live in new jersey and we too get snow not on the same level as quebec but its still a good amount of snow....very cold...... but its not all year round...what i was refering to was mainly the colder parts of canada that its always cold. and the main reason i brought up florida and the heated seats is because those little wipers are the same thing....people use them....and like someone said before.....ud be surprised how a clean wipe can increase visibility and light projection....to most people this is a useless feature that people won't use...and some will even forget that they have it...but its still a feature that is useful...
Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i live in new jersey and we too get snow not on the same level as quebec but its still a good amount of snow....very cold...... but its not all year round...what i was refering to was mainly the colder parts of canada that its always cold. and the main reason i brought up florida and the heated seats is because those little wipers are the same thing....people use them....and like someone said before.....ud be surprised how a clean wipe can increase visibility and light projection....to most people this is a useless feature that people won't use...and some will even forget that they have it...but its still a feature that is useful...
We have cars with headlight washers (not wipers) and found them very usefull at keeping road salt from building up on the headlights like in past cars when driving on salt covered roadways.

They automaticaly activate every 3rd or so wash of the windows, and keep them clean.

While they are not perfect, they do keep the heavy stuff from caking up on the lenses and dimminshing light output and to stop blinding on comming traffic

One of the reasons they are on Euro cars is due to regulation and as the build up of dirt/salt on the headlights stratifies light in directions that it is not intended, can case disability / discomfort glare (based on research in Europe).
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
VW Passat offers a standard umbrella, so I guess headlight washers are no longer needed since one can get out of the car (if it rains) use the VW umbrella and wash the headlamps manually.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not all the roads are made like the U.S. in other countries. Most people have dirt roads and imagine following someone who sprayed your front bumber in the dark.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Since this is not specifically TL related. This thread belongs in our Car Talk Forum:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/

We cannot move threads across major forums so I will lock this thread. Feel free to post in Car Talk.