3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use to remove snow off your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
PWP 2010 TSX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32

Only my windows get scraped.
+1, when I had my Honda my dad tried to help me out by getting the snow off the car other than the windows. Except, the snow itself scratched my car. The snow that was actually on the car had melted to one large piece of ice.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath

alright this is a pretty dumb theory... since i dnt live in snow .. but would it be SUPER dumb to hose the snow down/off? LOL do the hose even work? are they frozen?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626

alright this is a pretty dumb theory... since i dnt live in snow .. but would it be SUPER dumb to hose the snow down/off? LOL do the hose even work? are they frozen?
No, not super dumb.

It would qualify for mega dumb.

The more impurities in particular sample of water, the higher the temperature that particular sample of water will freeze. So without even factoring in the slush that you just hosed off and type of surface it creates. All that water you used and the melted snow, will quickly freeze now that it's on the ground (it's probably cold out...yes?) and instead of snow on a driveway or street...you now have a skating rink. Enjoy...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Drifting

what about tossing a warm bucket of water? loll damn I would try it if i lived in snow...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Logistically stupid as all hell.

(1) Most outdoor hoses will be shut off/frozen solid
(2) In the spot that you are to hose the car, you're laying the framework to leave a sheet of ice in your wake
(3) After viewing this thread I've come to one conclusion - there are some really, REALLY lazy TL owners on this forum. Take 10 minutes and clean your damn car off - for your safety, and the safety of others. Yeesh.

what about tossing a warm bucket of water? loll damn I would try it if i lived in snow...
The amount of time to heat/carry/throw a sufficient volume of water will exceed the time it would take to clean your car off. Again, see point #3 above.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
If i had a beater, I'd probably do that too, but imo, this kinda defeats the purpose of having a garage to protect your nice car from the elements. Most people dont care too much about their car though.
No way, man. I would much rather snow get on my luxury car then my concrete driveway. I need to keep that driveway scratch free and in mint condition to keep the resale value up! I keep my garage empty for dance parties.

Originally Posted by anx1300c

Funny stuff.

And you guys that don't clean off the snow must not get much of it. I can assure you the biggest hazard isn't snow blowing off on the car behind you, but when the foot of snow you left on your roof comes sliding down your windshield when you hit the brakes after your car is warmed up.
Yes. This. Exactly this. I usually just scrape off enough snow so that it's not dangerous when I start driving.

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Logistically stupid as all hell.

(1) Most outdoor hoses will be shut off/frozen solid
(2) In the spot that you are to hose the car, you're laying the framework to leave a sheet of ice in your wake
(3) After viewing this thread I've come to one conclusion - there are some really, REALLY lazy TL owners on this forum. Take 10 minutes and clean your damn car off - for your safety, and the safety of others. Yeesh.

The amount of time to heat/carry/throw a sufficient volume of water will exceed the time it would take to clean your car off. Again, see point #3 above.
Yup. All-in-all it's really not worth it when you can just clean off your car in a few minutes anyway. Plus, it gives the car time to warm up and you don't have to sit on freezing leather.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
it's not that i'm lazy by any means, it just isn't necessary for me to brush off every flake of snow.

like jsonkimz said, if people are following me so close in incriment weather that they get blinded by a few inches of snow from my car, then they should back off and drive an appropriate distance behind me.

either way, the little bit of snow on my roof is not going to ruin anybodys day. lets face it, i'm not driving around with a mountain top full of snow. i think some people got the entirely wrong impression.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Pro

^ +1
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
We don't get snow down here in FL, but in Jax here we do get below freezing temps, it was 21F this morning. When it's cold like this we get ice on the windshield. What I do to prevent this is to lay an old sheet across the windshield and use the doors to hold it in place. If it's windy it will blow off. In the morning just remove the sheet and you have a clean windshield.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Pro

That is a great idea. I've heard of it but haven't tried it yet. It would work for a quick method of snow removal as well. I can't believe I forgot about it.

Kinda ironic it takes a Floridian to come up with a good snow/ice removal method.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by jsonkimz
That is a great idea. I've heard of it but haven't tried it yet. It would work for a quick method of snow removal as well. I can't believe I forgot about it.

Kinda ironic it takes a Floridian to come up with a good snow/ice removal method.
sounds like it would work at 21F but not a lot of things can stop wind shield from freezing at -31F or -49F with wind chill
Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by myron
sounds like it would work at 21F but not a lot of things can stop wind shield from freezing at -31F or -49F with wind chill
That may be true. I've never had to deal with temps that low.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I lightly brush off the snow with my hand (with a thick glove of course) while the snow is still fresh. If you wait a day or two, the snow will harden and if you try taking that stuff off, you'll scratch your car big time.

But regardless of the methods you use, it's nearly impossible to come out of a winter without swirls on your car. But that's the beauty of detailing. Be as careful as you can in the winter, but don't kill yourself either. When the spring hits, your car will be swirl free after a good detail.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
We don't get snow down here in FL, but in Jax here we do get below freezing temps, it was 21F this morning. When it's cold like this we get ice on the windshield. What I do to prevent this is to lay an old sheet across the windshield and use the doors to hold it in place. If it's windy it will blow off. In the morning just remove the sheet and you have a clean windshield.
that is nifty. You could cover the entire roof of your car with one sheet and tuck it in both front and back doors, sorta like a makeshift car cover.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Thank god for 80 degree weather in the winter
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I think you guys are overestimating how much snow blows off when you're driving.

Obviously, if you have an inch or so of snow on top of your car, you can brush it off with any snow brush, and leave a much thinner layer of snow. This snow probably won't blow off, and if it does, it won't be nearly enough to impede anyone's vision. If you have only a few centimetres, I don't think it's really necessary to brush it off the body.

I've driven home with a trunk and bumper with about half an inch of snow on it, on the freeway, and almost none of it blew off. Warmer temps in the garage will melt the snow off anyways.

My
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use a car wash brush to get the snow off the sides of the car so it wont slide down and scratch it if it turns to ice. other then that i just leave it and drive my jeep liberty.

for you people that dont clean your cars, you are very inconsiderate. in NY if you dont clean your car now and it causes damage to another vehicle, you get a $1,000 fine($1,500 commercial) and rightfully so. its even more dangerous if its still snowing, and also if it turns to ice.

ive seen chunks of ice come flying off the top of peoples suv's and near hit my car and hit other cars. its idiotic, guaranteed if you had ice flying at you, you would be quite pissed too
Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
I think you guys are overestimating how much snow blows off when you're driving.

Obviously, if you have an inch or so of snow on top of your car, you can brush it off with any snow brush, and leave a much thinner layer of snow. This snow probably won't blow off, and if it does, it won't be nearly enough to impede anyone's vision. If you have only a few centimetres, I don't think it's really necessary to brush it off the body.

I've driven home with a trunk and bumper with about half an inch of snow on it, on the freeway, and almost none of it blew off. Warmer temps in the garage will melt the snow off anyways.

My
on tues/wed, my area(north shore central suffolk) got hit with 16" of snow and almost none of them bother to clean any of it off. then getting on the parkway(sunken meadow) was ridiculous. over a 1' of snow was flying off everyones car
Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
I think I'd LOL if I saw a car with this done. Almost sounds like more work than simply scraping the car off real quick with a credit card or something (if you don't have an ice scraper) I'm from NH but I've lived in Jax before and it does get cold sometimes.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by greco9885
i use a car wash brush to get the snow off the sides of the car so it wont slide down and scratch it if it turns to ice. other then that i just leave it and drive my jeep liberty.

for you people that dont clean your cars, you are very inconsiderate. in NY if you dont clean your car now and it causes damage to another vehicle, you get a $1,000 fine($1,500 commercial) and rightfully so. its even more dangerous if its still snowing, and also if it turns to ice.

ive seen chunks of ice come flying off the top of peoples suv's and near hit my car and hit other cars. its idiotic, guaranteed if you had ice flying at you, you would be quite pissed too
Originally Posted by greco9885
on tues/wed, my area(north shore central suffolk) got hit with 16" of snow and almost none of them bother to clean any of it off. then getting on the parkway(sunken meadow) was ridiculous. over a 1' of snow was flying off everyones car
I don't think anyone on in post has said they leave anything over an inch or two on their car. No one mentioned leaving a foot of snow on their car and then taking it to the freeway to cause a 20 car pile up. An inch or two of snow on a car isn't going to do any damange.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ruby
I think I'd LOL if I saw a car with this done. Almost sounds like more work than simply scraping the car off real quick with a credit card or something (if you don't have an ice scraper) I'm from NH but I've lived in Jax before and it does get cold sometimes.
Naw, it's not more work. Open one door. Put the edge of the sheet in there and close it. Run the sheet across the windsheild, open other door and put the other edge in and shut, all done! Do this while the windshield is clean and dry. If I had to scrap the ice off, it would take a while to do and I'd never get it all, just enough to see out. With the sheet, I just open the doors, pull it off and throw into the garage. Get in and go. Had to do it again this morning (20F). There was soooo much ice on the cars.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
The powder is not as damaging to other vehicles as that hard icy layer of snow that can form. I watched a big sheet of it launch up in the air off of a van and come down in the opposite lane of traffic resulting in an MDX getting its mirror sliced off.

Seriously, a sno-rake or something like it will not cause harm to your car... it takes a minute at most to get the snow off. It doesn't have to be spotless...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I usually use the snow brush and get as much off as possible without touching the paint. I think that people don't understand that the snow that is left on the car will eventually turn to a little sheet of ice and either fly off the car or slide off possibly scratching the paint. The garage I park in is heated so it will melt off pretty quick.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
what is this 'snow' you speak of? LOL....sorry couldnt resist. Glad I live in Florida.....ya'll stay warm.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:50 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by andURpoint
what is this 'snow' you speak of? LOL....sorry couldnt resist. Glad I live in Florida.....ya'll stay warm.
Thanks!

LOL
Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
It's sorta like a hurricane, but less destructive.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Former Whiner

As of right now. Your state is the only one in the cont US that doesn't have snow on the ground.

I'll be there Feb 7 !!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Fawking PWNS

This. A combination of that or I usually cover my car with tarps. Easiest thing ever to just pull them off when the storm is through.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
It's sorta like a hurricane, but less destructive.
I used to enjoy Hurricanes....then I bought a house
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading about all the horror stories of winter weather in the southern states, it doesn't seem so bad to be living in Canada anymore
Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
I use the scraper for windows like you posted. I don't press too hard when I do the roof so the brush doesn't touch the car. Then little snow that's left blows off when I drive.
I have a extendable snow brush, and I go really easy on paint. It also has a rubber part on the other side of the brush. It works really well. I hate people who leave piles of snow on there cars! Its irresponsible and dangerous. In not talking about an inch, more like 6! I see people driving around my campus like this all time.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Wow after this week this is the first time I've ever been able to comment on this phenom living in atl. I keep my car in the garage...I'd much rather shovel the driveway than my car.

yeah i usually just get the windshield/windows/rear window cleaned off and then hop on the freeway. gravity will do the rest.
That's very considerate of you.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
yeah i usually just get the windshield/windows/rear window cleaned off and then hop on the freeway. gravity will do the rest.
well here in jersey you have to remove snow off your car...otherwise you will get a ticket..not to mention how unsafe it is for the people behind you
Old 01-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts

snow really isnt that bad......compared to your super destrucive hurricanes!!!have fun with those
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

has any body seen this... im really considering buying it.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
sno pro snow broom is a winner for me. i use that or put gloves on and use my hands
Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys there is no need to go easy on the paint, there is no way brush bristles can scratch a car. Even the plastic side of the snow scraper with the jagged edges used for scraping ice won't scratch your paint, I've used it on mine, no scratches.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Wow, perfect thread timing.

Couple days ago, piles of snow came out of nowhere, luckily, I knew it would snow overnight so I woke up early the next day to arrive on time to work.
Equipments:
- Gloves
- a pair of sweatpants.

I didn't have the right equipment to get the snow off my windshields and windows, so I improvised.
After 37 minutes or so, I successfully got rid of the ice that formed on the windshield and windows, took off excess snow on the roof, hood and trunk, and proceeded my way to work with 30 minutes to spare.

Psh... who needs a bristle?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Babnik
Guys there is no need to go easy on the paint, there is no way brush bristles can scratch a car. Even the plastic side of the snow scraper with the jagged edges used for scraping ice won't scratch your paint, I've used it on mine, no scratches.
Wait, you can't be serious. Either that or your car is white or silver. I can assure you that your clearcoat is scratched to hell.

Quick Reply: What do you use to remove snow off your car?