Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WDP TL Type S rear bumper paint not matching

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WDP TL Type S rear bumper paint not matching

Is this normal for all WDP UA7 ? I know that it's common for all cars to not have the bumper's paint match the body's under various light shade because of plastic vs metal. But on my specific car, it's very noticeable and it really seems like the bumper has been repainted and they did not choose the right and exact same color. I am planning to have the bumpers repainted to actually match the body as much as possible. Let me know your opinions all WDP owners out there!

https://flic.kr/p/nHQbwN
https://flic.kr/p/nKGa59
https://flic.kr/p/nKSArp
https://flic.kr/p/ntoq7v

Last edited by petesbimmer; 05-26-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my Type-S. The previous owner had it repainted after it was damaged. I've called a few local body shops and have done a bunch of reading up on the issue and it turns out that tri-coat white pearl paints in general are very difficult to match.

The proper way to match the paint is to make a "let down" panel to find out how many coats of pearl to spray on top of the base coat so that it will match the rest of the body.

It appears with your car and mine that the body shops did not make a let down panel and sprayed on too many coats of pearl which leads to it looking slightly dark or more yellow.

Unfortunately the only way to fix the issue that I've found is to get the bumper repainted (after creating a let down panel to properly match the color).
The following users liked this post:
petesbimmer (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:59 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
thats actually pretty much the same as the other white tl's i've seen. tl's are known to have pretty off colored bumpers for white and gray ones
petesbimmer (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 05:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
^Yup. OP, if you do a search you'll find that the white and silver have off color bumpers from the factory, actually in my mind inexcusable. If the front matches, then the front has been repainted and back OEM.

The wife hit a teenage deer years ago and needed a new front cover. After some test shots, they matched the WDP body paint perfectly. Just sorry I didn't spend the extra money to have the rear painted at the same time as it's still a thorn in my side when I see the difference in color.

As the powers to be didn't think it necessary to match bumpers, the 4G has the same off color bumpers.
Amazing how other manufacturing companies can match the pearl perfectly, not Honda.

Last edited by Turbonut; 05-27-2014 at 05:36 AM.
petesbimmer (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
I had a pearl white Lexus in the past
The paint needs to be blended into your quarters...more $
At least that's what my body shop did, and it came out perfect
petesbimmer (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Security Dude

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow that's pretty bad, but very common in any car with specialized paint as time and the sun change the paint so getting it to match is super hard if not impossible. Like mentioned above blending to the quarter panel is the bes way to make it look better
petesbimmer (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
weird that you have side A-spec but not rear or front.
petesbimmer (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
weird that you have side A-spec sideskirts but not rear or front.
Fixed!

I thought the same!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garrettdigital
I have the exact same issue with my Type-S. The previous owner had it repainted after it was damaged. I've called a few local body shops and have done a bunch of reading up on the issue and it turns out that tri-coat white pearl paints in general are very difficult to match.

The proper way to match the paint is to make a "let down" panel to find out how many coats of pearl to spray on top of the base coat so that it will match the rest of the body.

It appears with your car and mine that the body shops did not make a let down panel and sprayed on too many coats of pearl which leads to it looking slightly dark or more yellow.

Unfortunately the only way to fix the issue that I've found is to get the bumper repainted (after creating a let down panel to properly match the color).
Yea I figured the pearl paints are very hard to match since not even the factory does a PERFECT job... But I will definitely have my dad proceed with repainting it and tell him not to do to much pearl coats so it won't look yellow/darker and create a let down panel as you said. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
thats actually pretty much the same as the other white tl's i've seen. tl's are known to have pretty off colored bumpers for white and gray ones
Yea I definitely see most WDP TL TYPE S have their bumpers not perfectly matching their panels, but it seems like mine is worse cause it's prob has been repainted by someone who didn't do a job well done
Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
^Yup. OP, if you do a search you'll find that the white and silver have off color bumpers from the factory, actually in my mind inexcusable. If the front matches, then the front has been repainted and back OEM.

The wife hit a teenage deer years ago and needed a new front cover. After some test shots, they matched the WDP body paint perfectly. Just sorry I didn't spend the extra money to have the rear painted at the same time as it's still a thorn in my side when I see the difference in color.

As the powers to be didn't think it necessary to match bumpers, the 4G has the same off color bumpers.
Amazing how other manufacturing companies can match the pearl perfectly, not Honda.
Yea you're right cause even white BMW's have their bumpers match good enough for my eyes to notice a difference...

Last edited by petesbimmer; 05-27-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sbarbee54
Wow that's pretty bad, but very common in any car with specialized paint as time and the sun change the paint so getting it to match is super hard if not impossible. Like mentioned above blending to the quarter panel is the bes way to make it look better
That's what I'm saying.. I think mine is worse than other WDPs on this forum
Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by truonghthe
weird that you have side A-spec but not rear or front.
Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Fixed!

I thought the same!
That's because I was going to install the front and rear but my dad noticed a sharp pain in his eyes, as a painter, that the bumpers are discolored. So he decided to paint both the front and rear bumpers and will have the rest ASPEC kit on after!
Slpr04UA6 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by petesbimmer
Yea I definitely see most WDP TL TYPE S have their bumpers not perfectly matching their panels, but it seems like mine is worse cause it's prob has been repainted by someone who didn't do a job well done
no, yours looks about right. unless you went up close to other cars it's hard to tell the color mismatch. A lot of times when a car is dirty, it actually hides the paint a bit. When a car is at it's cleanest, that's when you'll see all the imperfections
Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 AM
shifting at 7k

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
My rear bumper is the exact same way. It's actually funny because when I installed my Type S A-Spec rear lip that was brand new, the lip matched the quarter panel but the bumper was still discoloured and yellowish looking. I think paint ages faster on plastic versus metal.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Mine is the same...I noticed it while washing the car. It's not noticeable from far away.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:44 PM
I like turtles

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
I only notice the issue in certain lighting. My front bumper was an issue too but I had that repainted once I removed the aspec kit (due to mismatching paint) and now it matches beautifully.

I love WDP but if I could do it all over again I would have went with any other color acura offered on this car.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by azeezp13
My rear bumper is the exact same way. It's actually funny because when I installed my Type S A-Spec rear lip that was brand new, the lip matched the quarter panel but the bumper was still discoloured and yellowish looking. I think paint ages faster on plastic versus metal.
No, the bumpers were that way when new, just like the 4G, but as you have seen, the A Spec kit doesn't match the bumper color but matches the body color, go figure.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by azeezp13
Originally Posted by bla8291
Mine is the same...I noticed it while washing the car. It's not noticeable from far away.
Originally Posted by Redsand353
I only notice the issue in certain lighting. My front bumper was an issue too but I had that repainted once I removed the aspec kit (due to mismatching paint) and now it matches beautifully.

I love WDP but if I could do it all over again I would have went with any other color acura offered on this car.
Originally Posted by Turbonut
No, the bumpers were that way when new, just like the 4G, but as you have seen, the A Spec kit doesn't match the bumper color but matches the body color, go figure.
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
no, yours looks about right. unless you went up close to other cars it's hard to tell the color mismatch. A lot of times when a car is dirty, it actually hides the paint a bit. When a car is at it's cleanest, that's when you'll see all the imperfections
It seems like painting the front and rear bumpers to match the quarter panel and ASPEC kits would be the best bet huh guys? Cause I'm planning to have it done this weekend
Old 05-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

Ugh, I might have the same problem when I get the A-Spec kit installed, would any repainting need to be done in order for the kit to match?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I was looking into it too much, but mine seems to be off also! I'll have to look again and take more pictures..buy you can clearly see the lines..

Any other ASM's have different shading?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Haze/TypeS
Any other ASM's have different shading?
If the bumpers haven't been repainted, they will all look the same as yours.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
silver is another one of those colors that is VERY tough to match
not as tough as Pearl White, but still tough...
Old 05-31-2014, 09:55 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
might just be me but in the OP's first picture it looks like the trunk and spoiler are also off white. It's pretty apparent comparing the top of the trunk and the quarter panel. The roof doesnt share the same shade.

Perhaps it was rear ended and repaired/repainted?