3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visor area rattle (removal of SunVisor, map light console, front/rear map light)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Visor area rattle (removal of SunVisor, map light console, front/rear map light)

Even after putting some felt tapes around the visor mirror cover (passenger side), I intermittently hear crackling noise in that area. I just found out that the boxed (red) headliner area makes horrible crackling noise (with the visor lowered). Has anyone noticed this?

I fixed 90% of the rattle problems in my car. This appears to be the last one I need to take care of. I was looking into putting some foam tape around this area-I am not sure if this is possible.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I found it was not the visor, but the cover for the mirror. I put two of those felt discs I found on each mirror cover, and there has been peace in the valley ever since. i did find some stick/slip noise (creak) when the visor moved in the plastic retainer where it snaps in, and a small dab of silicone oil (Syl-Glide from NAPA) on a Q-tip took care of that. It is also the best rubber conditioner for weatherstrips ny the way, so you will not find it a one-use product. Honda calls it "Shin-Etsu" grease, and it is used on parts of the tranny linkage, but the Syl-Glide is a much better deal.

If you want some of those felt discs, send me a PM with your agreement not to post my address, and I will send you my restoration address, and then a SASE will get you some of the felt dfiscs to play with, gratis.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Novice
Even after putting some felt tapes around the visor mirror cover (passenger side), I intermittently hear crackling noise in that area. I just found out that the boxed (red) headliner area makes horrible crackling noise (with the visor lowered). Has anyone noticed this?

I fixed 90% of the rattle problems in my car. This appears to be the last one I need to take care of. I was looking into putting some foam tape around this area-I am not sure if this is possible.

If your noise is what I think it is.... The only way to professionally fix it is to remove the center/upper light console, remove both visors (and clips), both front upper side grab handles,,, then pull down the front of the headliner (from back edge of the sun roof all the way around the front) and line the entire area with "xxx" (cotton fabric in my case). The noise you may be hearing is the plastic back of the headliner against the metal roof structure... Took me about an hour w/complete satisfaction.

Smitty
Old 11-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
If your noise is what I think it is.... The only way to professionally fix it is to remove the center/upper light console, remove both visors (and clips), both front upper side grab handles,,, then pull down the front of the headliner (from back edge of the sun roof all the way around the front) and line the entire area with "xxx" (cotton fabric in my case). The noise you may be hearing is the plastic back of the headliner against the metal roof structure... Took me about an hour w/complete satisfaction.

Smitty
Thanks, Smitty. It sounds like this is beyond me!!! Thanks, though.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I found it was not the visor, but the cover for the mirror. I put two of those felt discs I found on each mirror cover, and there has been peace in the valley ever since. i did find some stick/slip noise (creak) when the visor moved in the plastic retainer where it snaps in, and a small dab of silicone oil (Syl-Glide from NAPA) on a Q-tip took care of that. It is also the best rubber conditioner for weatherstrips ny the way, so you will not find it a one-use product. Honda calls it "Shin-Etsu" grease, and it is used on parts of the tranny linkage, but the Syl-Glide is a much better deal.

If you want some of those felt discs, send me a PM with your agreement not to post my address, and I will send you my restoration address, and then a SASE will get you some of the felt dfiscs to play with, gratis.
Thanks, RR: I think Smitty described what I need to do perfectly which I will not do as I am afraid I will do more harm than good.

Thanks for your offer. You are a kind man.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had my car at the dealer for the headliner replacement I mentioned the rattle. They said they looked at it and ordered me a newer visor mirror cover assembly. They said that should fix the problem. We'll see.

JB
Old 11-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Garage it...

I had the exact problem on my passenger sunvisor in Jan/04, and my dealership replaced it by the new visor. In my case, it's not the mirror cover, but the pivot against the metal on the roof or pintle or pivot joint. Meanwhile, since they had to remove the visor, they decided to put the new one on... (it's the new issue to them, and they're not sure whether or not the old sunvisor would be loose in the future, so they ordered the new one)

I think the way KJSmitty showed above seems to be a good method to DIY. However, I have to say someone may hear the similar noise coming out of the mirror cover, and RR's way is good, too.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:47 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I had a similar problem on my driver's side visor assembly. If you lowered it and gently tapped it with your knuckles, you'd hear this clangy noise. Not sure what came loose, but the dealer ordered me a brand new visor and put it on for me.

I still heard some rattling or rubbing in the visor area so I just bought some clear rubber bumps and put it on the edge of the vanity light so the mirror cover doesn't rub against it. This is a little more concealed than the felt that you guys are putting on so I figured it'd be a good alternative. The width of the dot sits right on the edge of the light and you can't really see it. Bought them at the local Orchard Supply. They put it right next to the felt adhesives you'd use for your chair legs.

By the way Novice - in what position to you put your passenger headrest? I have it one notch up and the chair/headrest area has a rubbing noise when I go over bumps or unsmooth surfaces in the road since the chair is vibrating without a passenger. Do you know what we can do to fix this?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Racer

I have the same noise but I belive it is the vanity light rubbing on the vanity mirror cover. I was going to put some rubber clear discs between the two to stop the problem. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't forget. You need to take care of the hinges (indicated in red arrows)-I just put some thin foam material around those areas.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
TL Asian GAL!!!

Originally Posted by captain
I have the same noise but I belive it is the vanity light rubbing on the vanity mirror cover. I was going to put some rubber clear discs between the two to stop the problem. I will let you know how it works out.

Funny thing is I have the same problem and I think inside of the vanity light has something loose inside. It would only make a noise if I go over a big bump!!! Has anyone opened the Vanity Light to see what is loose in there possibly????
Old 01-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Once again this great board comes thru! I have the same rattle but as it has recently surfaced haven't had a chance to address it yet. Mine seems to be located at the place where the visor locks into its closed position because the rattle goes away if I put my finger against it. I'm going to try all these fixes with the easiest ones first and hopefully it will end the problem. Thanks to everyone for their fix suggestions.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

Smitty
HI Smitty:

How do you remove visors clips?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by wawawa
HI Smitty:

How do you remove visors clips?
You have to stick a flat-bladed screwdriver into the rear of the clips and turn.

See page 2 of this instructional PDF (it's for the Honda Pilot but it is the same exact mechanism).

Okay .. until I can figure out a way to host this PDF, I can't link it since it's a site that this forum does not approve of.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:56 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
You have to stick a flat-bladed screwdriver into the rear of the clips and turn.

See page 2 of this instructional PDF (it's for the Honda Pilot but it is the same exact mechanism).

Okay .. until I can figure out a way to host this PDF, I can't link it since it's a site that this forum does not approve of.
Lore is correct,
The entire clip needs to rotate 90 degrees then will come right out. Like Lore stated slide a small flat screwdriver between the clip and headliner. Push in, this will release the clip and allow you to turn it 90 deg. Now, Lore you may be able to articulate this better but I don't remember whether the "release" area (where you need to place the screwdriver) was towards the window side or sunroof side of the clip...?

Bottom line, be gentle and try each side until you can rotate the clip.

Also, after removing the three retaining screws for the visor pivot, be careful removing from the headliner. Their will be a wire and clip attached and you will need to rotate the assembly for it to come out of the hole.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Advanced

I think everyone wants to know the TSB number. I could only manage to find these:

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
04-015 MAY 04 ABS - Lamp ON/Possible DTC's 15, 16, 17, 18, 43, 44 Set
04-006 MAR 04 Audio System - Service Diagnostics
04-005 MAR 04 Interior - Drivers's Seat Memory Function Inoperative
04-004 FEB 04 Computers/Controls - HIM Module Updating
01-026 JAN 04 Engine Controls - ECM/PCM Reprogramming
03-033 DEC 03 Engine Controls - MIL ON/Misfire DTC's Set
00-037 OCT 03 Brakes - Brake Disc Refinishing Guideline
03-013 SEP 03 Navigation System - Operation/Initialization
Old 01-04-2005, 06:00 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Lore is correct,
The entire clip needs to rotate 90 degrees then will come right out. Like Lore stated slide a small flat screwdriver between the clip and headliner. Push in, this will release the clip and allow you to turn it 90 deg. Now, Lore you may be able to articulate this better but I don't remember whether the "release" area (where you need to place the screwdriver) was towards the window side or sunroof side of the clip...?

Bottom line, be gentle and try each side until you can rotate the clip.

Also, after removing the three retaining screws for the visor pivot, be careful removing from the headliner. Their will be a wire and clip attached and you will need to rotate the assembly for it to come out of the hole.
The "release" area is towards the windshield side. You probably won't see it in the normal sitting position, but you can see it if you stick your head over the dashboard. I happened to see one of the technicians do this when I first had the visor replaced and I remembered it =)
Old 01-04-2005, 06:01 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by bustedbyu
I think everyone wants to know the TSB number. I could only manage to find these:

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
04-015 MAY 04 ABS - Lamp ON/Possible DTC's 15, 16, 17, 18, 43, 44 Set
04-006 MAR 04 Audio System - Service Diagnostics
04-005 MAR 04 Interior - Drivers's Seat Memory Function Inoperative
04-004 FEB 04 Computers/Controls - HIM Module Updating
01-026 JAN 04 Engine Controls - ECM/PCM Reprogramming
03-033 DEC 03 Engine Controls - MIL ON/Misfire DTC's Set
00-037 OCT 03 Brakes - Brake Disc Refinishing Guideline
03-013 SEP 03 Navigation System - Operation/Initialization
All of those TSBs seem like mechanical/electrical things. Nothing about interior rattles or what not. I think those are the publicly available ones, right?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
I'm posting the scans for the sun visor removal, map light console removal, and front and rear map light removal, so they can be in one thread and accessed easily for reference.