3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very interesting conversation with my transmission builder on the TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced the sensors out this past weekend. It took awhile just to figure what needed to be moved out of the way and what was what, but just replacing the sensors was quick. Happy to say that yes I notice a difference and the shifts are definitely smoother and have no shuddering as of now.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
I just bought my car recently with a 2 year warranty, is there anyway I can the dealer to cover the replacement of the both sensors/switches?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I H Cars, thanks for startng this discussion, much good info, Johnny
Old 01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Instructor

2003 honda accord v6 5auto problems

hey guys, besides my Acura TLS my sister has a 2003 honda accord v6 5auto that has a really bad shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, it shifts really long (2-3secs) and ends with a hard clunk.

I have already done a 3x3 fluid swap and next on the list is a AT filter change.
Since the transmissions between acura and honda are similar, do you think it is a pressure sensor or a solenoid or something else?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hate to be the bearer of bad news but, 03 Honda V6 transmissions have serious reliability issues. I'm having trouble with my 03 Pilot auto and the research is not good, namely 03 Pilot's, MDX's and earlier Odyssey's. I did see V6 Accord come up a few times, too - not sure if it's a shared tranny with the other models I mentioned.

I was hopeful my issue was just the pressure sensors...replaced, and no dice. I dug deeper on my symptoms and a rash of 03 Pilots just over 100K are blowing tranny's. Check this forum edmunds townhall

there was even a class action in 06 that your VIN might fall in. Check here class action
Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Instructor

NedShneebly, wow so your in the same boat?

I didnt know about this tranny issue when i bought the car....nothing about that on carfax!! LOL. Anyhow, now im just trying to fix it up as best i can....I've been searching for a used tranny that i can take apart and rebuild for fun..but so far they are very expensive for the v6 model....oh well, for now the shifts are rough but it still moves.

What will you do about your pilot? I heard about this place called gearspeed.com that does nothing but sell rebuilt honda tranny's. Have you ever heard anything about them?
Apparently they are really good, but i dont know about the prices.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well, I plan on opening a case with Am Honda. Some guys have gotten lucky and Honda chipped away at their bill a bit but I'm more concerned that Honda doesn't want to admit there's a problem. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that just paid for a new tranny because they assumed that was normal/their fault.

most that went to a private shop and used an aftermarket/non-Honda rebuilt piece had bad luck. warranty usually sucks on those units, too.

it's just a straight kick in the junk.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:27 AM
Instructor

i dont think that Honda is going to help me out, i'll probably try to ask them and failing that. I'm going to drive it till it dies before i get a rebuilt one from gearspeed.com. You should check out their website, it is impressive and they supply tranny's for HondaCARE.

I'll also install a tranny cooler this time around.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by evoman
.... gearspeed.com. You should check out their website, it is impressive and they supply tranny's for HondaCARE.

The link seems to be a "clearance house"/"search engine" for rebuilt trans in general. The pic below illustrates what I see on my screen when I try to go to gearspeed.com. As shown by my red arrows, do you know which is the actual site that you are recommending?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Instructor

sorry wrong link...

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

The link seems to be a "clearance house"/"search engine" for rebuilt trans in general. The pic below illustrates what I see on my screen when I try to go to gearspeed.com. As shown by my red arrows, do you know which is the actual site that you are recommending?

Sorry the correct link is here

http://hnatrans.com/

You will find gearspeedinc.com on that page as well. Apparently, Honda & Acura transmissions does not sell directly to the general public, only to shops. So that is why i was refered to gearspeed because they sell H&A tranny's to the public. I think the cost is supposed to be cheaper then the dealer or Honda. I'd go there and get it done but they are located in California and i'm on the north-east coast. We'll see....
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went to the hnatrans site. Wow looks like they do a very thurough job at rebuilding. So what does a newly rebuilt tranny cost from them?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

I just called H&A. Although their website does not show any price listings for complete rebuilt trans, they do very much sell the complete units.

H&A primarily sells the complete units thru shops, and not directly to individuals. A person can go to any trans shop and have that shop to purchase it from H&A. H&A even encourages a person to call H&A to obtain a list of shops in your area that can purchase the H&A trans and to do the install.

H&A was not able to quote a price to me because of so many variables involved. The price would be dependant on where the unit needed to be shipped, etc.

People living close to them are able to go directly to H&A and they will do the install.

They were very friendly and helpful when I called. I explained that Acurazine was interested in their rebuilt trans. They even visited this thread while we talked on the phone. They encourage any forum member to call them for further info. H&A's phone number is (909) 941-9020.

BTW, H&A and GearSpeed are the same mother company. H&A is the wholesale branch which sells complete rebuilt trans to shops. GearSpeed is the retail branch that sells to individuals. GearSpeed primarily sells refurbished components and not the complete rebuilt trans.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Instructor

HNA the best....

Originally Posted by BigJack75
I just went to the hnatrans site. Wow looks like they do a very thurough job at rebuilding. So what does a newly rebuilt tranny cost from them?
THAT'S WHAT I WAS TRYIN TO TELL YOU GUYS, This place is the bomb-didly! They even supply tranny's to Honda Care! I've heard nothing but good things about this place from other Honda forums! Why pay some joe-smo $3-4K to do a crappy rebuild when you can buy one professionally done from HNA?!?!
It is even better then new from Honda cos HNA adds a tranny cooler as mandatory for the MDX,PILOT and ODDY. This is definitely a good sign of a company that understands the short comings of honda's tranny design...Heat the silent killer!

Wow, InAccurate sounds like you had a nice chat with HNA folks! I'm hoping that someone here on this forum contacts them for a tranny install and give us the low down on prices, service, quality and so on....i really want to find out the cost so i can save up for this.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
You can get the Honda reman units from a Honda dealler off eBay for about $2100 shipped with a 3/36 warranty.

I remember getting a quote for a unit from H&A a few years ago and their prices were very competitive with the dealer units.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Banned

Does anybody have pics of where these switches are located on an 07 TL-S? I can not find them. I looked at the schematic but it doesn't help.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
hate to be the bearer of bad news but, 03 Honda V6 transmissions have serious reliability issues. I'm having trouble with my 03 Pilot auto and the research is not good, namely 03 Pilot's, MDX's and earlier Odyssey's. I did see V6 Accord come up a few times, too - not sure if it's a shared tranny with the other models I mentioned.

I was hopeful my issue was just the pressure sensors...replaced, and no dice. I dug deeper on my symptoms and a rash of 03 Pilots just over 100K are blowing tranny's. Check this forum edmunds townhall

there was even a class action in 06 that your VIN might fall in. Check here class action
Too bad sensor change does not help your 03 pilot tranny symptom. But as far as I understand, this "theory" of pressure switch is only working for Non-damaged tranny. The main purpose of changing pressure switch is to "preserve" the original tranny condition as long as possible. I replaced my 3rd and 4th switches for my 04 MDX, shifting quality improved, smoother and tighter. The odo reading is now 55k miles, I plan to do this again near 100k and hopefully, at 150k and 200k and 250k so on and on....we will see....

I am glad that it seems like you found good source of honda tranny parts, if this pressure switch theory does not work for me, that will be my next solution too... Good luck! let us know.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Jin_Chris
Too bad sensor change does not help your 03 pilot tranny symptom. But as far as I understand, this "theory" of pressure switch is only working for Non-damaged tranny. The main purpose of changing pressure switch is to "preserve" the original tranny condition as long as possible. I replaced my 3rd and 4th switches for my 04 MDX, shifting quality improved, smoother and tighter. The odo reading is now 55k miles, I plan to do this again near 100k and hopefully, at 150k and 200k and 250k so on and on....we will see....

I am glad that it seems like you found good source of honda tranny parts, if this pressure switch theory does not work for me, that will be my next solution too... Good luck! let us know.
It worked for my symptoms on 3rd / 4th up & downshifts on my '03 MDX.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by BigMiko
Does anybody have pics of where these switches are located on an 07 TL-S? I can not find them. I looked at the schematic but it doesn't help.
This thread is only 10 pages long.. try reading back.

fyi, the 07-08 trans has two 4th gear pressure switches on top of the case below the battery & 1 3rd gear pressure switch on the side like the 04-06 trans.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Jin_Chris

Of course it only works in non damaged transmissions. You're fixing the cause of the problem but once the damage is done, it's done. If the transmission has just started shuddering you have a chance of the sensors fixing it. However it doesn't take a whole lot of shuddering to damage clutches. Once the surface is ruined they will never have the holding power they need and the shuddering will continue. Once you're sure it's screwed and you've replaced the sensors and fluid you can always try a non friction modified fluid like Type-F and see what happens.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Of course it only works in non damaged transmissions. You're fixing the cause of the problem but once the damage is done, it's done. If the transmission has just started shuddering you have a chance of the sensors fixing it. However it doesn't take a whole lot of shuddering to damage clutches. Once the surface is ruined they will never have the holding power they need and the shuddering will continue. Once you're sure it's screwed and you've replaced the sensors and fluid you can always try a non friction modified fluid like Type-F and see what happens.

Thanks for your additional comments. My own MDX04 has "zero" transmission issue now at 55k miles. It is smooth and tight at this point and even better after this pressure switch change. The reason I am pursuing this "theory" of pressure switch, it makes "perfect sense" for me. And driving manual tranny for the past 20 years or so, I know how important is "timing and pressure to engage or disengage clutch to prolong the life of clutch. (I still drive 95 Acura Legend 6speed ....). We will see, if I can hold my MDX 04 for more than 200k miles with original tranny.... By the way, my previous 94 Legend Auto had 200k miles when I donated it to local charity. It was still driving pretty darn good even with 200k miles original tranny....
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Majofo
This thread is only 10 pages long.. try reading back.

fyi, the 07-08 trans has two 4th gear pressure switches on top of the case below the battery & 1 3rd gear pressure switch on the side like the 04-06 trans.
Yep been through the entire thread several times and have seen the schematic but still can not locate the switches. Anybody have good pics with reference points?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
10th Gear

Am I correct in that these sensors are labeled for 3rd & 4th gear? So does that mean they only affect the 3rd->4th & 4th->5th gear shifting?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

And also, is there then a 1st & 2nd gear pressure switch somewhere else also?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
3G TL lookin' good

Great thread...with 80K I think I'm gonna do this one.....
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Yeah this works. I did this change of the pressure sensors, and the ATF filter a few weeks ago and noticed a considerable difference in shift patterns(specifically upshifts from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th).I did not have any issues yet of any slipping, but it feels a lot firmer, and more direct. Worth the $84 dollars or so...Hope this will help the tranny last longer..
Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
I should also say that I had the fluid changed at the dealer, 6 months ago(around 28-29,000), and did both pressure sensors/ATF filter at about 34,000 miles
Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by PCweber
Am I correct in that these sensors are labeled for 3rd & 4th gear? So does that mean they only affect the 3rd->4th & 4th->5th gear shifting?
They effect the 3rd & 4th gear line pressure. They ensure adequate pressure is applied for the time the gear is engaged and before the shift.

And also, is there then a 1st & 2nd gear pressure switch somewhere else also?
no.. controlled by the linear solenoids & 1st accumulator.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
10th Gear

Is there anything that can be done to firm up the 2nd to 3rd gear change then?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Is there anything that can be done to firm up the 2nd to 3rd gear change then?
It would help keep the 3rd - 2nd downshift firm if it's rough now. To firm up the 2nd to 3rd upshift I'd do a 3x3 and a new filter if you're a 04-06.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

just bought a 05 TL 90000 miles from my parents, sounds like a good thing to do...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Instructor

Resetting ECU

Does anyone recall instructions for resetting ECU on this or another thread, to help cure the transmission shifting problems? As I recall it was: With engine off, turn the key on. Depress and hold down the throttle for at least one minute. If I remember, this is supposed to "reboot" the ECU and clear out all the bad stuff and reset to factory specs, so it will start relearning your driving style. I tried this yesterday and it seems to be shifting smoother with a lot more PEP. Any comments guys? Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Safety Car

Here is the original thread -
Resetting ECU makes me happy (click here)

Here is my condensed version (cheat notes to follow while inside the car) -
key on, pedal down,15sec,
keyoff,5sec,pedalup,2 min

I can always here a "thunk" at this point in the process -
key on, pedal down,15sec,
keyoff,5sec,"thunk",pedalup,2 min

The thunk is not loud. I can hear it with my car in the garage and because all insulation and all unnecessary/superfluous plastic panels are removed from under my hood.

Here is an interesting article -
The Truth About Adaptive Transmissions (click here)
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Thanks, Inaccurate! I couldn't find it any place. I will give it a try and share it with my Service Manager (I ain't never heard of nothin' like that)!! haha!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecTro
Just pulled the trigger, i have an 04 with 45k on it, havent felt any slip but i dont think i'll wait for it.

Order details
Product # Description Quantity Unit Price Total Price
28600-RAY-003 SWITCH ASSY., AT OIL PRESSURE (TEXAS INSTRUMENTS) 1 $32.21 $32.21
28610-RAY-003 SWITCH ASSY., AT OIL PRESSURE (TEXAS INSTRUMENTS) 1 $32.21 $32.21
90471-PW7-A00 GASKET (10MM) 2 $1.78 $3.56
Subtotal: $67.98
Shipping Charge [Shipping Charge may vary with package size / weight]: $5.00
Handling Charge: $3.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total Order : $76.93

For 77 bucks, which may or may not prevent the cost of a full rebuilt in the future, along with downtime and headaches dealing with the beautiful acura dealerships, and money i can recoup byt cutting down on lunch for a few weeks, why not?
I just got 2 of these sensors from DELRAY but it turns out I don't need them. If anybody is interested I'll unload these at $50 total for both, delivered. PM me.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great info. This may have been asked, but I already had the transmission failure. Is it recommended to replace those sensors now that a new transmission is installed?

If so.. I believe I should order these while I'm still low on mileage with the new tranny.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by d-j-m
Great info. This may have been asked, but I already had the transmission failure. Is it recommended to replace those sensors now that a new transmission is installed?

If so.. I believe I should order these while I'm still low on mileage with the new tranny.
Probably not, unless you just want to ensure you have them for later. Most of us are doing this around 50K as insurance against failure. Unless you think they re-used yours, I would leave them be until more mileage has accumulated.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwb993
Probably not, unless you just want to ensure you have them for later. Most of us are doing this around 50K as insurance against failure. Unless you think they re-used yours, I would leave them be until more mileage has accumulated.
Well the car itself had about 110k KMs (68k miles) when the failure occurred. So if they didn't replace the sensors with the transmission, my sensors must have 68k on them.

Edit: I believe I was misunderstanding. The sensors must be on the transmission itself and included with a new transmission.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by d-j-m
Well the car itself had about 110k KMs (68k miles) when the failure occurred. So if they didn't replace the sensors with the transmission, my sensors must have 68k on them.

Edit: I believe I was misunderstanding. The sensors must be on the transmission itself and included with a new transmission.
They are on the transmission itself but I believe they're not always changed out. When you see TLs that have had 3-4 transmissions by 100,000 miles, it's more likely the solenoids being transferred over causing it.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob RiL
^lol.

╞╔╚Ä«╕\▓▒░╧»│╡¡¼ x 2 = formula for changing the sensors.

LMFAO. Is that only for 3G tranny or also 2G??? Mine is shifting real hard. it doesnt want to take the gears.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
They are on the transmission itself but I believe they're not always changed out. When you see TLs that have had 3-4 transmissions by 100,000 miles, it's more likely the solenoids being transferred over causing it.
Interesting. Is there a way to tell if it's new or 68K old? If not I may call the dealership to ask, or buy new ones.

Quick Reply: Very interesting conversation with my transmission builder on the TL