3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-LED New DRL Harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
The cheaper kit is the one from ijdmtoycar but the bulbs are too bluish at least for my taste. But I think V-leds upgraded their kit now seeing that it was using a hid harness to begin with. If you read the past posts you'll see at one point I was using just the bulbs from v-leds but then it starting bugging on me. Some members who are using bulbs alone are using the ebay bulbs.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you think the updated harness works fine now (no error codes)?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
under renovations....

I don't know
Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a new one and I haven't had any issues with it, no lights going out and no error code. I actually didn't get an error when I used the lights by themselves, but they weren't as bright. With the harness they're about 2x as bright. I'm really happy with how it looks, I find myself pulling close to cars just so i can see the reflection.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
When you guys say not as bright with the harness......how not bright are we talking about? Are the lights still visible during the day if you dont use this harness.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Why would you waste $100 when you can get the same bulbs for $22 shipped? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-X-6...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced

You can see the lights during the day without the harness. The main reason that I bought the harness was that I didn't want to have the DRL warning light up on my dash.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM
under renovations....

I never got the drl code either with just the bulbs the issue I was having was that one bulb was a bit brighter then the other and even still they both weren't bright enough. When I got the ijdmtoycar harness the issues stopped. While you can run them without the harness you're not getting the full power of the light without it either.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So what's the verdict with LED DRLs? Are there still issues or have they been resolved with the most recent harness updates?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I never got the drl code either with just the bulbs the issue I was having was that one bulb was a bit brighter then the other and even still they both weren't bright enough. When I got the ijdmtoycar harness the issues stopped. While you can run them without the harness you're not getting the full power of the light without it either.
Originally Posted by SDSilverM3
So what's the verdict with LED DRLs? Are there still issues or have they been resolved with the most recent harness updates?
Apparently you haven't read the last few posts huh?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Racer

Apparently you haven't read the last few posts huh?
Apparently no.

Can you summarize?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I e-mailed v-leds a few weeks back. The representative said the kit they're offering has resolved all issues. I'm just waiting for their switchbacks to come back in stock before I order it.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Did the ijdmtoy kit have a resistor plate? I had a hell of a time figuring out where to put the resistor on the driver side, did you come up with anywhere to put it?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
under renovations....

Apparently no.

Can you summarize?

How's that maybe you can pick out one and read it then come to a conclusion
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by mboob
Did the ijdmtoy kit have a resistor plate? I had a hell of a time figuring out where to put the resistor on the driver side, did you come up with anywhere to put it?
No it doesn't, I just used some double side 3M tape and put it on the frame of the car. the heat from it will help it stick better
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Racer

How's that maybe you can pick out one and read it then come to a conclusion
Thanks but v|nsan|ty beat you to it.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Ordered it last night from V-LEDs (I know $100 :p). I let you guys know how the new harness works.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Instructor

So it took me an hour to disconnect the bulbs and remove just one them
Tomorrow I'll work on removing the passenger side bulb. Why is is so difficult?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Advanced

I found it to be a real pain getting the driver's side one out too, just not enough room to move around with the battery. The passenger's side one is much easier. I think I might have had more trouble getting the bulbs back in then getting them out too.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mboob
I found it to be a real pain getting the driver's side one out too, just not enough room to move around with the battery. The passenger's side one is much easier. I think I might have had more trouble getting the bulbs back in then getting them out too.
I'm going to have to finish this DRL project tonight since I started pretty late last night and I have to work today.

Last edited by Suprstar; 04-22-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Finished...looks great. I'll post pics later. I got 6K LEDs and they are tad too blue. Does 5K put out a more whitish light?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so I had the old drl harness (purchased almost 2yrs ago) and decided to give this new one a try. was having some work done on the car yesterday and asked the shop to swap out the harness and add the new bulbs. well, no error code BUT they won't light up. the shop manager mentioned somthing about needing a volt converter. anyone have this issue or hear of this?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Instructor

You have an '07 TL like me so it should work. I'm surprised mine worked the first time around. I usually always have to troubleshoot stuff I install.

Make sure the wires are connected properly. Watch the YouTube video I posted on the previous page.

I don't know what your mechanic is talking about. You don't need any additional parts if you purchased the most recent harness from V-LEDS.

Last edited by Suprstar; 04-24-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
Whats the original harness?

Is it this?

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...viewsTabAnchor

I have DRL on my 2005 TL because Canadian models came out with them? Will this work for my LED DRLs?
I was wondering the same thing. Since Canadian models come with DRLs, do we only need to switch the bulbs out or do we need this harness? And to confirm, they are 9006 bulbs, correct?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Racer

Just ordered mine.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Racer

Spent 4 hours on trying to troubleshoot what was going on and had the same issue some of you had. With the harness installed, the DRLs would not light up and there was no error code either. I've got the LEDs installed without the harness but the passenger side is brighter than the driver's side.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I'm returning the harness.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 AM
under renovations....

Snap a pic of your harness and the way it is installed. At least so I can get a better idea. The thing with the vled harness is that when you're connecting the plugs sometimes they actually push out so no contact is made. This was the problem with that first version harness. The other problem was that it was a hid harness they were using.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the 5k DRL offered by V-LED's? I currently have the 6k - but its a little too blue for my taste!

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Racer

Snap a pic of your harness and the way it is installed. At least so I can get a better idea. The thing with the vled harness is that when you're connecting the plugs sometimes they actually push out so no contact is made. This was the problem with that first version harness. The other problem was that it was a hid harness they were using.
Sorry, it took me so long but I finally got around to hooking it back up again. It looks like all of the pins are fine. The resisters are getting warm but the relay isn't clicking.

Here are the pics of how they were connected. I also tried flipping the single black wire as well with no luck. I'm now awaiting a reply from James on what else we need to do.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Racer

Update: after talking to James, he thinks the relay is bad as others are having the same issue. We're going to swap out the relay and see what happens from there.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:59 PM
under renovations....

I'm telling you that harness isn't the updated one at all. that's the same one I had and went thru 2 of them. James is cool with the customer service but in the end that's the wrong harness. This is why I'm using the ijdmcartoy harness with v-leds' bulbs. their bulbs look better imo. Since I have had the harness in I haven't had any issues at all.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Hmm.. so are they sending out un-updated harnesses with the kit despite saying there are new harnesses? I ordered mine a little while back and it should be coming in the mail soon. I'm hoping mine doesn't present any problems since it's always a pita with shipping back and forth between Canada and the States.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Racer

I'm telling you that harness isn't the updated one at all. that's the same one I had and went thru 2 of them. James is cool with the customer service but in the end that's the wrong harness. This is why I'm using the ijdmcartoy harness with v-leds' bulbs. their bulbs look better imo. Since I have had the harness in I haven't had any issues at all.
I'm hoping that's not the case. If the new relay doesn't fix the issue then I'll probably do what you ended up doing and go with the ijdm harness. Did VLEDs refund you the cost of the harness or did you end up eating the cost?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
under renovations....

I'm hoping that's not the case. If the new relay doesn't fix the issue then I'll probably do what you ended up doing and go with the ijdm harness. Did VLEDs refund you the cost of the harness or did you end up eating the cost?
Nah they refunded me my money less the cost of the bulbs since I kept those.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Advanced

That harness doesn't look like the one I got a little while back from them, I'll see if i can get some pictures of mine tomorrow. Mine has a whole connector that attaches to the factory harness, not just a lone connector.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello fellow tl friends. I am fairly new to website, so i thought i would start posting so i can add pics soon to. But anyways, back to the Vleds harness, I recently purchased the 6k drl kit for my 08 type s and I cant get the leds to work with harness so for now i just have the bulbs in w/o harness and they work with no drl code. One is brighter than the other. So i tried everything with the harness and it will just not work. So i called vleds tech support and told them the deal was, i asked for a whole new harness and turns out they just sent me a new relay. wth. I was under the impression that i was going to get a new harness. So im upset there, not what i expected from vleds. so i have a friend helping me with the install, hes knows what hes doing and he had said that he had tested the 1st relay out and its working fine. so why they send me relay i dont know. So i now have to call tech support again while they are open, so pissed. so with that i just wanted to say hi, see if anyone has any ideas. btw, once i have enough posts i will post some pics. i have done vleds for the license plate and reverse, oh and i have the yellow 2500k piaa bulbs for fogs. cant wait to post pics.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
finally got mine to work. turns out it was an issue with the installer. anyway I had the fist harness that V-LEDS put out a few years back and these are WAY brighter. Very happy with them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Racer

Got my new relay and harness today from VLEDs and VOILA -- it worked!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Racer

Thanks for the help everyone.

Full power on both sides now. Mounting the relay and resistor on the driver's side was fun.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 AM
under renovations....

Glad you got them working now!

Quick Reply: V-LED New DRL Harness