Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-LED New DRL Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sixsixfour
are you using a DSLR? if you shoot in RAW, you can color correct your photo to the flourescent lighting to show a more accurate color of the LEDs. Im pretty sure the pics dont do it justice.

The pictures were taken with my Droid. But I'll take better pics with my DSLR.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts
i got my kit installed yesterday. looks awesome. the only thing i didn't like was they didn't send instructions.

they obviously made instructions based on the pics that were posted in this thread. i think they should have sent them with the kit.

otherwise, it looks great.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
BluePearl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could someone post some instructions beyond the resistor harness connection? I got as far as he pics show, but where did you guys route the other big piece of a harness? And where did you mount the black block?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if I would like to change out the fog lights as well to match the DRL with the high power harness kit, should I get the relay wiring kit for the 9006 bulb? Does anyone know or have anyone tried it out?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WhteTLS
The pictures were taken with my Droid. But I'll take better pics with my DSLR.
That is funny, my pictures were taken with my Droid as well. Android FTW!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 AM
BluePearl

Help!! I just installed the harness today, and my DRL warning light comes on everytime. I followed the instructions for connecting resistor harness to the original factory connector, then connecting the resistor harness output to the relay harness, then the led bulbs go onto the relay harness. But I have a DRL warning... What am I doing wrong? Also, do you guys know if I can put a regular bulb in for the LED, maybe that will make the light go away but still have the full power?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Have you guys had any issues with the LEDs turning on and off intermittently? I installed mine on Sunday, so yesterday was really the 1st day that I drove around with them. I can really only tell if they are on by looking at the reflection in the car in front of me. It was hot as hell here in Chicago yesterday and my guess is that they are turning off when one of the components gets too warm….any thoughts? They work fine in the morning when it’s still cool outside, but during my drive home they would turn off at some points during my drive. If it is a heat thing….what component is the most temp sensitive? BTW...both of them were turning off at the same time which leads me to believe that it's the relay getting too warm? If so, where did everyone else instally their relay? I mounted mine with 3M tape to the side of the battery enclosure to prevent drilling any holes.

Otherwise they look great!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
New shoes on my

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No intermittent LED issue, however on really hot days (90* +), when I accelerate hard, the DRL light comes on until I let off the gas a little and the light suts off...weird...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

I'm really looking forward to getting this on my TL-S. I got the perfect excuse since it's at the shop getting the whole front end replaced. BTW I think I've seen your car around WhteTLS because I live in the same area.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by da718saila
I'm really looking forward to getting this on my TL-S. I got the perfect excuse since it's at the shop getting the whole front end replaced. BTW I think I've seen your car around WhteTLS because I live in the same area.

oh really? Where in Falls Church you live? What color is ur TL-S?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

oh really? Where in Falls Church you live? What color is ur TL-S?
I live over in Skyline Towers with a ASM. Just waiting til she gets out the shop
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by da718saila
I live over in Skyline Towers with a ASM. Just waiting til she gets out the shop

oh nice.. Yea I live at Skyline Plaza, but I'm moving to Alexandria next week into Cameron Station Area.

We should definitely have a mini car meet after your car is out of the shop. Hit me up when your car is out.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

oh nice.. Yea I live at Skyline Plaza, but I'm moving to Alexandria next week into Cameron Station Area.

We should definitely have a mini car meet after your car is out of the shop. Hit me up when your car is out.
I was looking for a car meet in the area. We should definitely do one in the NoVA area. I got three weeks before she's on the road again
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Instructor

ohh d a m n... yea let's have one in October.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Yeah...It sucks when you cross paths with a pathfinder.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 AM
The TINT CEO

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
i want one of these kits i tryed to install led drls but it never worked perfect before im up to try it again but i went on the link to buy it and it was sold out, how can i get one asap?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I got mine yesterday. And of course no instructions, my question is how do I wire in the relay harness they gave me or do I even need it?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Yes you need to use it. there is a DIY on this thread on how to install it. takes like 5 minutes.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM
under renovations....

Yes you need to use it. there is a DIY on this thread on how to install it. takes like 5 minutes.
I saw the pics but they only show the resistors not the fuse relay harness. When I get home I'll take a pic of it and post what they sent me.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Instructor

ok. it's pretty easy, plug and play.. I'll take a pictures of my set up and post it as well.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM
under renovations....

ok. it's pretty easy, plug and play.. I'll take a pictures of my set up and post it as well.
Ok cool maybe I can follow your pics for the install.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM
under renovations....

I am installing the kit right now and I got a drl warning light and according to vleds site it says their harness should have a yellow wire but it doesn't and my aren't bright like Whitetls's are.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:33 PM
under renovations....

Plus they are staying on when the car is off. WTF!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

What a joke, they just won't stop increasing the price now huh? Up to $104.99 + shipping now for a product that probably costs a fraction of that to make...

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...87941-2-1.html
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Instructor

WOW these things look fantastic but $104.99 is steep! I mean I love the fact that they actually look perfect as DRL's almost like xenon matched lights but I'm not sure I can fork out $104.99 for some DRL's. They are nice though. Are they going to have any kinda group buy deal or something?? Do those coupons still work? (the 15% one that's on the forum?)
Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by Silver Dameon 55
WOW these things look fantastic but $104.99 is steep! I mean I love the fact that they actually look perfect as DRL's almost like xenon matched lights but I'm not sure I can fork out $104.99 for some DRL's. They are nice though. Are they going to have any kinda group buy deal or something?? Do those coupons still work? (the 15% one that's on the forum?)
Like them on facebook cause they're always giving 15% off codes. I think the current one is "xenon".
Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Advanced

How much was the original price set at when they first came out?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Well with 15% off they would be like $89. That's not to bad.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

thanks everyone for the info on these. picked up an 07 TL-S last week and ordered this kit from v-leds the same night (used XENON code for 15% off). can't wait for it to get here!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

ok, so my LED DRL kit came yesterday. tried installing it today, but ran into a few problems.

- instructions show yellow wire to black wire connection. my kit didn't come with a yellow wire. basically put the kit together so that all the connectors locked properly.
- drl's would not turn on. no error code in the dash either.
- i unplugged the harness and went back to the original set-up w/ the normal bulbs.
- drl's still would not turn on. no error code in the dash.
- now i'm confused.

any ideas/suggestions? thanks!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by cfujikawa
ok, so my LED DRL kit came yesterday. tried installing it today, but ran into a few problems.

- instructions show yellow wire to black wire connection. my kit didn't come with a yellow wire. basically put the kit together so that all the connectors locked properly.
- drl's would not turn on. no error code in the dash either.
- i unplugged the harness and went back to the original set-up w/ the normal bulbs.
- drl's still would not turn on. no error code in the dash.
- now i'm confused.

any ideas/suggestions? thanks!
I had problems with mine as well. i took mine back out and I am supposed to give whitetls a call to see how he did his but havent had a chance to. and as for the yellow wire mine didnt have one either. I threw a drl code when i did mine i tried so many different ways.

Whitetls's kit is from ebay not vleds. I would pm him to see if he can post up his hook up or at least help you out.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

ok, so i played around with the harness some more last night, and i got some very interesting results:

- first, i had no lights & no error codes.
- swapped the resistor cables. no lights, but got an error code.
- swapped the resistor connector polarities. no lights, but got error code.
- took off the harness. plugged the LED bulbs straight into the DRL connector... success!?!?

so i basically used the LED bulbs w/o the resistors or power harness. they light up, and there is no error light! i'm not sure if they're running at 100%, but they're bright enough for me. go figure. anyways, i'll call v-leds to see if i can return the harness.

on a separate note. today, i got a warning telling me to tighten my gas cap. i checked it, and it was on securely. you don't think it could be related to the lights do you? should be a separate issue.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Instructor

on a separate note. today, i got a warning telling me to tighten my gas cap. i checked it, and it was on securely. you don't think it could be related to the lights do you? should be a separate issue.

That is weird. I just started to get that warning as well like 2 weeks ago. But I had the LED Harness on for over 2 months now. So I don't know..
Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Instructor

OK, I'll bite......why would you want super bright lights in the day time?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
OK, I'll bite......why would you want super bright lights in the day time?
kind of defeats the purpose of having DRL's if they're not bright enough to see during the daytime. as for why we want LED DRL's? for me, it's mostly for aesthetic reasons.

i called V-Leds. they're sending me new harness because mine has some issues. so far, great customer service.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
under renovations....

ok, so i played around with the harness some more last night, and i got some very interesting results:

- first, i had no lights & no error codes.
- swapped the resistor cables. no lights, but got an error code.
- swapped the resistor connector polarities. no lights, but got error code.
- took off the harness. plugged the LED bulbs straight into the DRL connector... success!?!?

so i basically used the LED bulbs w/o the resistors or power harness. they light up, and there is no error light! i'm not sure if they're running at 100%, but they're bright enough for me. go figure. anyways, i'll call v-leds to see if i can return the harness.

I just tried that and they're working just one is brighter then the other but not by much. No codes at all
Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is weird. I just started to get that warning as well like 2 weeks ago. But I had the LED Harness on for over 2 months now. So I don't know..
This is a very common issue with the 07-08 Type-S. It's some kind of check valve. I had mine replaced and after doing a search found out that this is very common for our Type-S.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:09 PM
under renovations....

Ok so here's the scoop....

The harness that we have with the red wire that's says it's yellow is correct. This is a new harness they made so they changed the wire. The issue everyone is having is that the clip is reversed first off and I mean the clip with the single black wire and the single red wire. If you guys have noticed as per the instructions you wouldn't be able to clip the harness to the oem plug and thats because of that issue. Next up is the drl code issue which is being caused by the harness pins pushing back out when you plug everything in. So take the pinned wire out from the harness plug of their kit and just slip it into the correct slot to test everything out to confirm this. When you see that you don't have a drl code then you should be good to put it back to normal but make sure the pins don't push out as you are plugging in the harnesses.

I got this info from v-leds tech support direct just awhile ago I haven't tried this yet myself but he did acknowledge the issue we are having and has dealt with a few people here already. i told him i would get back to him tomorrow to let him know if I had success with it or not.

As it is right now I do have the bulbs in without their harness in and I'm not throwing a code and one bulb is somewhat brighter then the other but not by much. But I don't really feel comfortable with it this way without the harness in so I will take a swing at it tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the info cubanlynx84. i'm in the same boat as you. that was the same info i got from tech support. just waiting for a replacement harness to come from v-leds. a few of the crimpers on mine came off.

btw... did you have to mount the black box on the harness to a grounded source? does that make a difference?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 AM
under renovations....

thanks for the info cubanlynx84. i'm in the same boat as you. that was the same info i got from tech support. just waiting for a replacement harness to come from v-leds. a few of the crimpers on mine came off.

btw... did you have to mount the black box on the harness to a grounded source? does that make a difference?
I haven't mounted the whole harness yet again. I mean I did when I first got it and it was throwing the code and staying on constant even when the car was off so my guess is that the pins were/are the problem.they probably weren't plugged in all the way. I am going to try this later today if not tomorrow. As for the relay just ground it to a good non-painted area so it gets good ground and hook up the (+) to the battery everything else should be plug-n-play. I guess it was you we spoke about too about a new harness cause thats what lead me to contact them. I dealt with James over there he's the one who took this project over when he got to v-leds. So he's been working on the fixes and with us to get it right. He even told me told contact him back to let him know my results good or bad at that.

Quick Reply: V-LED New DRL Harness