Sponsored by:

USR Tail Light Covers and Side Markers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
USR Tail Light Covers and Side Markers

Hey everyone,

I completed this modification last fall, but I never posted any pictures. I installed two new tail light covers and switchback side markers on my 2005 TL.

Here are a few pictures of the products with links.

https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/i...id=460&search=

https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/i...id=457&search=

I completed this process without removing the entire bumper. I just removed the appropriate bolts and bumper clips, which allowed me to lower the bumper enough to install the tail lights. Don't hate me, but I followed a helpful "how-to" from
/forums/f72/how-install-clear-smoke-tail-lights-04-08-tl-101662/

The factory turn signal bulb in the tail lights is a standard halogen bulb. This bulb cannot be used with cleared tail lights as it will blink a faint yellow color (With the stock red tail light reflector, the blinker appears red). Therefore, a nasty amber-yellow bulb is provided by the manufacturer when the clear tail light covers are purchased. I wanted the tail lights to look more natural, so I purchased some 7443 red LEDs as replacement bulbs. In order for these LED bulbs to work properly, you will have to fix the hyperflashing that occurs when LEDs are installed. In my opinion, doing the turn signal relay modification is much easier and cleaner than using load resistors. Here is a link for your reference:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...istors-815219/

Here is the end result. Let me know what you think.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Those tails look really sick dude. I like!

They really pop because of your black car and wheel trim. What did you think of the part quality? Do you think that moisture inside would be a concern?

PS. Base TL for life
Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by AlbinLee
Those tails look really sick dude. I like!

They really pop because of your black car and wheel trim. What did you think of the part quality? Do you think that moisture inside would be a concern?

PS. Base TL for life

I appreciate the compliments. The new light covers gave my car a completely different look.

With regards to the quality of the products, a little moister does periodically make its way into the tail light covers. However, the only time that I've noticed this moisture is when I'm washing my car and spraying a hose directly at the fixture. During rain, snow, sleet, and all sorts of precipitation, I have not noticed any moisture in the covers. The side markers are not an issue at all.