Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use your TL keyfob to open your garage door

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 02:37 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Use your TL keyfob to open your garage door

I'm working on a project for the Acura TL TSX and RSX models. It uses the panic key of your keyfob to open your garage door. It will not panic the car when used correctly and does not connect to the car at all. This mod is to your house !

I expect the parts to cost $130usd per each opener. This will mean your garage will now have a secure rolling code receiver with up to 3 remotes. You don't have to give up the use of the current remotes or receiver so your other vehicles remotes or Homelink won't be effected unless you want to. This system is far superior to non-code rolling garage remotes.

I've had a Genie remote keyfob on my keychain for a couple years and man is it convenient. Doing yardwork or just wandering throughout the house is a more fun when you can pop the door any time just with your keys. I'm fed up having so many remotes on my keychain so that's why I started this project.

You could use the receiver for other purposes as well. if you have an audio project in the car or a Auto PC you want to remote control. You decide.

I expect this project to take about 3 months to complete and there may be custom features available. First things first. I need to know what you want to be able to control and what type of output you'd want the controller to have.

Some options are:
momentary control - to work on most garage door openers press once or twice to open the door depends on brand of opener

maintained contact - If you want to toggle something on like an Auto PC press once for ON again for OFF

Looking for more ideas and input on this subject

triggle@gmail.com
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

sounds interesting.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Cruisin'

great idea but pricy
Old 03-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Just curious, why would you need to use the keyfob to open the garage when your car comes with a garage opener already? Sound kinda usless and a waste of time and money if you ask me. That's just an opinion. Can't you just leave your garage door open when you're doing yard work?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I agree. Sounds like an idea with nowhere to go. Since EVERY TL already has the Homelink built into the car, there is ZERO reason to also have it on the key fob.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:01 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it will be useful. When you take your car out in the morning, you have to open the door. It will be convenient to have it on the FOB.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoganJani
I think it will be useful. When you take your car out in the morning, you have to open the door. It will be convenient to have it on the FOB.
Doesn't everyone have a garage door button on the outside of the door from the house to the garage?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:24 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by TLover
Doesn't everyone have a garage door button on the outside of the door from the house to the garage?
I do not have a button. It is a detached garage. Have to punch in code on numeric pad every morning, or use a garage door remote which is always inside the house somewhere.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Abyss Boy

Originally Posted by JoganJani
I do not have a button. It is a detached garage. Have to punch in code on numeric pad every morning, or use a garage door remote which is always inside the house somewhere.
Well then wouldn't it still be cheaper to get in your car and hit the Homelink button to open the garage door?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:58 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

While this isn't a mod I'd pursue, I think it has its uses. How about for those times you're outside your house and want to open the garage without having to go inside the house? For example, you go take a walk with your family or go ride your bike -- you'd still keep your house keys with you, but now you wouldn't have to take your garage remote!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Granticus
Well then wouldn't it still be cheaper to get in your car and hit the Homelink button to open the garage door?
How's he supposed to get in his car if it's in the garage?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:12 AM
never stops!

Originally Posted by Granticus
Granticus, as TLover explained my Car would be in the garage and the door closed. This is a detached garage, the one where you cannot enter from the house but enter from the garage automated door which can be opened by remote or keypad or with the key.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:11 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Yes I'm just guessing at what it could cost. I'm just at the programming stage so I have no idea of where it will go from here.

I'm not sure if it would be better as a kit or a finished product. It may not work well as a DIY project because it does require some advanced skills.

Originally Posted by dctobe2003
great idea but pricy
Old 03-05-2005, 05:13 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
Just curious, why would you need to use the keyfob to open the garage when your car comes with a garage opener already? Sound kinda usless and a waste of time and money if you ask me. That's just an opinion. Can't you just leave your garage door open when you're doing yard work?
This is not for when you are in the car but for when you are around your house and you need to open the garage. Leave door open = loose stuff.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:59 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Encouraged

I am grateful for all your comments. You guys have something to contribute and it IS on topic. Thanks for the encouragement.

I am going ahead with this for my own use. If others are interested that is great.

Yes, the project is a solution looking for a problem. I have the problem.

It can be very addictive once accustomed to having the opener in your pocket.

All functions on your remote will be retained. Including the panic.

No mods to car or remote keyfob are needed.

Basically it is a new (additional) receiver for your garage door opener.

Other applications might exist. Control PC Gamboy ETC, Home Automation.

Your existing garage door opener and all remotes can still be used.

Many garage openers use remotes with dip switches or a set code. Those are insecure. This unit could be a complete replacement for the receiver for those type openers. This unit is code-hopping = more secure. Every time you press the button the code changes.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Pro

my .o2 cents. I think that is what the homelink is for. First of all, it's pretty pricy for $130.00. Secondly, I just don't see a use for it...Seems like a good idea for other things like maybe using it as a remote start?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Pro

I just didn't read through all comments..I guess it willbe useful for people with detached garages.

Triggle, would you be able to hotwire a remote start into it? Just wondering
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Racer

Pay me $100 and I'll get you this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 03-05-2005, 02:38 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by jhan1102

Thanks for the link. This is useful.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:43 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

There are keychain remotes available for garages. I currently use a similar one for a Genie Intellicode and it is fabulous.

This project does the same thing using the Acura keyfob so I can get rid of the extra remote in my pocket.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:52 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by rynpamn21
my .o2 cents. I think that is what the homelink is for. First of all, it's pretty pricy for $130.00. Secondly, I just don't see a use for it...Seems like a good idea for other things like maybe using it as a remote start?
This project may have other uses and remote start could be one of them.

My original guess of cost is based on the need of a a 70$US part to make all this work. Then on top of that there's the decoder unit that I am working on. I may make a kit available to those interested.

My purpose here is to try to gain support for the idea from those who may find it useful so I can spread the developement cost out over more units.

Homelink is for your car when you are in it. This is for your pocket for when you are not in your car.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:53 AM
5th Gear

For that price, it should open the garage door, start the car, back it out and open the door for you.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by triggle
This is not for when you are in the car but for when you are around your house and you need to open the garage. Leave door open = loose stuff.
I guess you're right. I live in the boonies, so lossing things aren't a concern, but I can see why this wood be useful though. Instead of sticking the house key into the key hole, I suppose it would be beneficial especailly at night. Sorry for doubting!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by Drookue
For that price, it should open the garage door, start the car, back it out and open the door for you.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't it be easier to wire this all inside the car? The car already has homelink and "something" gets triggered when you hit the panic button. Why not wire that to the homelink system? Then you don't have to modify the garage door opener and you don't have to purchase any special equipment? I actually thought of doing this. I have an aftermarket alarm/remote starter (CompuStar) and I've thought of using one of the spare channels and wiring them to the Homelink system to open the garage...
Old 03-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
You've got to be kidding me! This is ridiculous! What's worse is the arguments being used to justify it and the fact that others actually buy them...no wonder the Pet Rock sold!

I have a detached garage, and it's not that big of a deal. There's an opener just inside the back door (the one that would be in the car if I didn't have Homelink). There's no reason for the opener to be in other parts of the house, so it shouldn't be. If for some reason all of your openers are in use, buy another one...they're $20 (Genie with scrolling codes). Now, if I'm in the yard, I simply use the key to the side door (which all detached garages should have in case of power failure) and go inside. If you don't live in an area where you can leave your garage open, you can't leave your house open, so you should have your keys.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:19 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno.

My opener came with two remotes and a wireless keypad mounted outside the garage.

Since two of my cars have Homelink, and I only keep a remote in the '87 Dodge, the second remote sits in my kitchen, attached to a cabinet door. I hit the button before I go out, and the door is opened when I get there. Naturally, I use the Homelink to close the door after the car is out of the garage.

The point is that it would be cheaper to get a spare remote and leave it in the house.

Regards,
Old 03-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Instructor

this isnt a need it is a luxury, which some people have no problem paying 130 bux to have something a little more convenient for them. I think it is a good idea because I am just as lazy as trigger and dont want to run upstairs or fiddle with a key when it is pouring down rain. You guys are flaming the kid for trying something new. Maybe this mod is no good for you and you have no use but to some of us it is a good idea. I see some of you guys praising people for changing friggin bulbs in thier glove box and you guys are flaming someone who is trying to make his life as well as possibly others a little easier. Bro get it workin and I will get one from you. Some of us would love to have an opener in our pocket and not need an extra remote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Instructor

one question tho. I also have a denali do u know if i could also use my denali keyfob for this as well as my tl one also My tl lease is up in a year and am thinking of a 645ci do you know if it is compatible with BMW keyfobs
Old 03-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Not trying to flame anybody, just pointing out the common sense aspect of it. It seems to be one of those "good on paper, bad in practice" type things. Truly useful would be to have it arm and disarm your burglar alarm...instead of having to drop everything just after you walk in, you could just casually wander in and take your time doing whatever else you have to do instead of worrying about punching in some code within x seconds.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Brother Sum

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
My Apartments give us a fob that operates the garage door and the front gate so having one remote would be nicer. Of Course.. why wouldn't I just use my HomeLink buttons in my TL?

JT
Old 03-30-2005, 06:10 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Some of you have missed the point. If this thread does not have something to offer you no worries. The point is that it IS possible and in fact has several other uses.

The reason the garage door project is so expensive for me is because it uses the keyless entry receiver from the car. It is a small box that connects to the decoder board which I am building. The decoder then can trigger a relay to do whatever, gate, garage door, alarm system for house or what have you that is external from the car.

The decoder board can be used on the car without having to purchase a receiver. If you are doing mods like closing sunroof/windows with the keyfob, it can now be managed more easily. The decoder should be flexible enough to have many uses but I'm going to discuss that in another thread when it becomes a reality. The first step was to capture the panic keypress before it panics and that has been done. The second step that I'm working on now will allow a relay output on double/tripple/quad keypresses of the ARM key combined with the panic output and a programmable hold time for each channel.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If the original idea was to open the garage door with the key fob, why not use the door open button? It makes sense to me. if your car is in the garage, you can both open your garage door and the car door. you won't have to worry about how long you'd have to hold the panic button for.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:20 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Good question

Originally Posted by Thorin78
If the original idea was to open the garage door with the key fob, why not use the door open button? It makes sense to me. if your car is in the garage, you can both open your garage door and the car door. you won't have to worry about how long you'd have to hold the panic button for.
Using PANIC to open/close my garage won't affect the car. Using the UNLOCK button to close the garage will UNLOCK the car which is undesirable. The panic key is as close as you can get to having an extra key on the remote like a 5 button remote. It is because of the delayed panic that I'm able to use the button for near a second before it panics.

The decoder will trap any key but the only ones really useful are the ARM and PANIC. If someone has ideas for other keys I'd like to hear it because this will affect the programming. The disarm key has a problem because it rolls down the windows. Using the TRUNK key is bad for obvious reasons.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:56 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Anything's possible

But unlikely. This is a one off project that just happens to apply to TL, TSX and RSX.

My decoder decodes the signal after the TL's receiver where the security code, rolling codes and functions have already been decided. My decoder does not decode the remotes signals.

Originally Posted by BadaBingMan
one question tho. I also have a denali do u know if i could also use my denali keyfob for this as well as my tl one also My tl lease is up in a year and am thinking of a 645ci do you know if it is compatible with BMW keyfobs
Old 03-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
can you design a new key fob that has an integrated key? I think that's worth while.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:03 PM
6th Gear

I understand what you're trying to do and I think it's a good idea. I'm not sure it'd be worth all that money, but there are indeed times when you are not in your car and you want to open the garage. Good luck with it.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I also could see the usefulness. I would love to be able to do this when I have my motorcycle out. As it is, I'm carrying the original garage remote in my pocket and its quite bulky. Let us know how you do it, how it works, and the parts needed.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Instructor

I like the idea. In fact, if I had the techno know how, I would have done this already. I live in an apartment complex, the only way to go in and out is through a gate, even if I'm walking, and if i had a garage, I would have to use the remote control the open the garage door before i can get in.

A reomote control like yours would definally come in handy. How will a user program a new garage opener code into the FOB? Will it be similar to how the Homelink works?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:44 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

I can't think of any way to do the apartment opener since you need to add some hardware to the garages receiver, I'm sure your manager would be a little upset if you tried.

I'll get some shots posted of the hardware that'll need to be used for a regular garage or gate opener.

Originally Posted by Oil Fighter
I like the idea. In fact, if I had the techno know how, I would have done this already. I live in an apartment complex, the only way to go in and out is through a gate, even if I'm walking, and if i had a garage, I would have to use the remote control the open the garage door before i can get in.

A reomote control like yours would definally come in handy. How will a user program a new garage opener code into the FOB? Will it be similar to how the Homelink works?

Quick Reply: Use your TL keyfob to open your garage door