3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Type-S worth it? Is manual much faster? Any high-mileage mechanical problems?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Type-S worth it? Is manual much faster? Any high-mileage mechanical problems?

Hi all, I can't seem to find many answers for a few questions I have. I'm sure they've been asked before; pardon the redundancy. My search skills apparently fail.

I'd love to have a type-s, but the choice seems to be a regular TL with mileage as low as 30k for 17-18k, or a type-s for 21k-24k with 60k+. I love the two-tone interior and blue color available on them, but is it really worth spending an extra $5k? I might be missing something looking at the spec sheet. An extra $100/m is a pretty significant difference.

The auto I test drove suffered from a lack of low-end torque. Does the manual version correct this any or is it inherent in TL's?

Are there any common prolems once TL's get up in mileage? I've read about the 3rd gear problem on the manuals but haven't come across anything else.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
if you're going to be modding, i'd get the type S in manual. even if not modding, i personally would still get the type S MT.

i don't have a TL, i have a CL, so someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the 3rd gear problem is with the '04/'05's . the type S is '07/'08's
Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

I likely will not do any/much modding.

I've driven manuals all my life but my current car is an automatic (the only one I've ever had) and it's nice in traffic. I usually don't drive somewhere that isn't work/school/home and in heavy traffic, so if there isn't a significant performance benefit going to manual, I'd just find an auto.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 3rd gear problem also affect the 07, i'm not sure about the 08. i have a 07 TL-S and when i first got it, it had the third gear problem. after changing the Transmissions fluid at the dealer it when away. so far so good. i personally like the Type S better than the base TL.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
6th Gear

Manual cars are much more fun in general but they're a hassle in traffic.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the hassle is so worth it.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
6MT FTW, definitely not for the girlie man.

Traffic really is nothing with manual IMO, just don't ride the car in front of you.

TL-S is nice, especially cause NAVI is standard.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The manual has a good 20-30 more whp IIRC and much more fun.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
6MT all day every day... you wont regret it. If you love cars till you die, and are not lazy then get it in manual, dont be a girlie man, just do it, i dont know what people are talkin about, the third gear issue is not on all TLs just some. Wether you get a base or TL s get it in manual
Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Pro

is a type s worth it if you dont already have a TL? SURE!
is it worth upgrading from a base to Type S? NO!
is it worth getting a 6mt over 5AT? HELL YES!

overall the Type S is a great car and fun... but there are its downs to it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it is worth it. No problems that I am aware of. So, 6MT Type S. All day. I have 3rd gear notchiness in my 07 Type S which gets annoying.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by powerflow

Traffic really is nothing with manual IMO, just don't ride the car in front of you.

You've obviously never commuted in the east bay
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
It is defiantly not worth it 5 grand for 28 more HP and some aesthetics. You can put 3 grand in the base and make it much more nicer than the TL-s. Plus, you cannot s/c a TL-s . Yes navi is standard on the TL-s, but you still pay for it. The price of a TL-s is the same price as a base with all the TL-s options. Plus, the a-spec kit for the TL-s is fugly IMO. Either or you will not be unsatisfied with an ACURA TL.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AckTL05
It is defiantly not worth it 5 grand for 28 more HP and some aesthetics. You can put 3 grand in the base and make it much more nicer than the TL-s. Plus, you cannot s/c a TL-s . Yes navi is standard on the TL-s, but you still pay for it. The price of a TL-s is the same price as a base with all the TL-s options. Plus, the a-spec kit for the TL-s is fugly IMO. Either or you will not be unsatisfied with an ACURA TL.
i bought my TL-s almost for the price of a base so that is why i went with it. I could have easily kept my 04 and been happy. Yes the aspec is horrible but the interior i like alot more
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Racer

Making the base "much more nicer" requires time. Some of us don't have time to make our Acuras much more nicer. Some of the things that I think are worth it. Seats are better, nav is std, nicer steering wheel, std brembos, tail lights, exhaust tips, rear lip, engine, std auto headlights, engine. Better resale, especially with the 6 spd.

When you buy used, you don't pay for all of that. It is the better option.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnny_b
Making the base "much more nicer" requires time. Some of us don't have time to make our Acuras much more nicer. Some of the things that I think are worth it. Seats are better, nav is std, nicer steering wheel, std brembos, tail lights, exhaust tips, rear lip, engine, std auto headlights, engine. Better resale, especially with the 6 spd.

I wouldn't say the tl-s is "more better" but it has some "much more nicer" details. Stitching in the seats, a few more ponies, ect. Either way a MT base or Tl-s come with brembos/ stiffer suspension.

With either one you will be happy as long as it is MT. I hope you make a "much more gooder" choice and go with the MT.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnny_b

Time? What I am saying is that for the "time" that it would be at the ACURA dealer you can pay to have the tail lights, lip and such. To say navi is standard is non-sense since the base you can have it as well so no difference there. Rear lip is nice but once again, can have them install that on a base. Engine? Well if you have no time to work on your car that means you travel a lot, which ultimately means that the 3.5 in the tl-s compared to the 3.2 in the base would suck up more gas. Standard brembos? Well if you want navigation and 6spd they come standard on the base as well. Like I said before its the difference between stitching and 28hp, and its not worth 5 grand. I myself would have bought the TL-s if it was available since I paid about the same for my base because I have all options, but to upgrade is not worth the 5 grand. Also, resale value is the same as it would be for the base. Its not a ferrari that would hold thousands of dollars, its minimal.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Pro

Do you "fist pump" in the tanning bed?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what exactly is this 3rd gear issue and is it on a specific range of model years?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bender
??
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Pro

3rd gear grind or a notchy feeling when shifting into 3rd. Sometimes it pops out of gear if not forced in. Acuras fluid didn't work to well so lots of us switched to GM syncromesh friction modified and the problem went away. I did and have not had an issue in years.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by powerflow

Well I certainly don't want to be a girlie man.

I hate tailgaiters, but I'm not sure how that makes driving in traffic any more/less of a pain.

All of the TL's I'm looking at and mentioned in my pricing comes with navi, so that's irrelevant.

Originally Posted by AtlM5
The manual has a good 20-30 more whp IIRC and much more fun.
I'm coming from a long line of American muscle, I'm not too concerned with an extra 20hp on a V6.

Originally Posted by subinf
You've obviously never commuted in the east bay
No doubt. I live in DC which was ranked I believe 2nd or 3rd worst traffic in the country. I've driven stick here before and I would live, but there is something to say for waking up super tired/groggy or hungover and not having to shift.

Ah finally, the voice of reason to talk me out of it!

I'm trying to spend about 18k max to keep my payment reasonable, and I don't see any arguments to convince me that the extra 5-7k is worth it. I would certainly like one, but I also like money in my pocket.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
Ofcourse coming from a base owner. Seriously who is going to waste three grand into a base car just to make it "nicer" than a type S which it still wont be. There are way to many differences which then ofcourse must be exceeded to make it so called nicer.

28 HP and some aesthetics?? I know your biased and all but come on theres a little more to it than just that.

To answer the OP's questions yes the Type S is worth it, no the 6MT isnt that much faster than the automatic ( 1 or two tenths in the 1/4 if they can drive), no serious issues they are great cars!!!

James
Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Ofcourse coming from a base owner. Seriously who is going to waste three grand into a base car just to make it "nicer" than a type S which it still wont be. There are way to many differences which then ofcourse must be exceeded to make it so called nicer.

28 HP and some aesthetics?? I know your biased and all but come on theres a little more to it than just that.

To answer the OP's questions yes the Type S is worth it, no the 6MT isnt that much faster than the automatic ( 1 or two tenths in the 1/4 if they can drive), no serious issues they are great cars!!!

James
Did you not read what else I wrote? I would love a TL-S but to upgrade to one for 5-7 grand is not worth it. Maybe if the TL-S had massage seats, which it doesn't. Waist 3 grand? You must be one of those guys who do not touch a car and leave it stock. Anywho, How is it biased, I own a TL?

Last edited by AckTL05; 01-29-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
Did you not read what else I wrote? I would love a TL-S but to upgrade to one for 5-7 grand is not worth it. Maybe if the TL-S had massage seats, which it doesn't. Waist 3 grand? You must be one of those guys who do not touch a car and leave it stock. Anywho, How is it biased, I own a TL?
Well I mean biased towards the non Type S version. I dont know, I just think whats the point if you have to buy a car then drop thousands into it just to get it where you want it. At that point might as well just start with the S. Now like you going from a non S to a Type S yeah it might not be worth it. For me it was worth it I ended up trading my 07 base for my 07 Type S. For the most part my Type S is stock its my daily driver car.

James
Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Instructor

just get a manual. you'll never wonder how much slower it is if you had an auto or a non type s.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Missing My CL-S

if you can afford the Type S, definitely get it. if not, a base TL is still nice
Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Bender
Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Racer

Time? What I am saying is that for the "time" that it would be at the ACURA dealer you can pay to have the tail lights, lip and such. To say navi is standard is non-sense since the base you can have it as well so no difference there. Rear lip is nice but once again, can have them install that on a base. Engine? Well if you have no time to work on your car that means you travel a lot, which ultimately means that the 3.5 in the tl-s compared to the 3.2 in the base would suck up more gas. Standard brembos? Well if you want navigation and 6spd they come standard on the base as well. Like I said before its the difference between stitching and 28hp, and its not worth 5 grand. I myself would have bought the TL-s if it was available since I paid about the same for my base because I have all options, but to upgrade is not worth the 5 grand. Also, resale value is the same as it would be for the base. Its not a ferrari that would hold thousands of dollars, its minimal.
Yes std brembos. No digging through a hay stack to find a base 6mt. Yes std Nav. No adding another criterion in your search for the perfect car. Don't know where you are digging this 5 grand number up from since you said yourself that you paid the same for your base. A Type S can be had for less than some base TLs. Mine is a perfect example of that. Maybe add some more miles, but it is worth it.Resale value is NOT the same. Rarer cars will always get *significantly more on the used market. When I sell my MRP TL-S 6 MT, I will prove it to you.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Missing My CL-S

let's say you're cruising w/ your girl in your base TL and pull up to a light. you look over at the car next to you and it's her ex-bf in a TL-S he revs, you rev and you guys go he pulls on you and beats you to the next red light. now at the light, your girl jumps out and jumps in his car

do you want this to happen to you? do you?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 AM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

Originally Posted by pearlite TL
is a type s worth it if you dont already have a TL? SURE!
is it worth upgrading from a base to Type S? NO!
is it worth getting a 6mt over 5AT? HELL YES!

overall the Type S is a great car and fun... but there are its downs to it.
Such as????
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexSU
lmfao do you fist pump ahahaha yeah you wont regret getting a type s worth the extra money if you have it. FIST PUMP FTW
Old 01-29-2010, 09:51 AM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

Originally Posted by SG81
let's say you're cruising w/ your girl in your base TL and pull up to a light. you look over at the car next to you and it's her ex-bf in a TL-S he revs, you rev and you guys go he pulls on you and beats you to the next red light. now at the light, your girl jumps out and jumps in his car

Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You, my friend, are a marketing genius! Type-S for EVERYONE!!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I LOVE MT but had to go AT with my TL-S since I'm a realtor and usually holding listings, punching something into my nav and talking to clients. Not to mention I love coffee so having to shift with that in hand is not good. For the driving you described go AT...racing, performance, mods & stuff would def be MT. At least you get paddle shifters in case you're feeling frisky. hahahahaha
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Pro

hahaha gayest evar!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haa. Made me laugh pretty hard.

DO YOU? Want that to happen...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That is GREAT! SG81 should work as a car salesman....but seriously you dont want that to happen...DO YOU?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Pro

That should really be Competch's commercial for the SC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Type-S worth it? Is manual much faster? Any high-mileage mechanical problems?