Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide between a 2005 tl and a 2005 tsx

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to decide between a 2005 tl and a 2005 tsx

The only major differances I can see are the engine specs. The TSX comparable loaded is about $6000 less. From the outside they both look very similar except from the rear.

Can anyone educate me as to what the major differances are between the two cars?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:29 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrtgman
The only major differances I can see are the engine specs. The TSX comparable loaded is about $6000 less. From the outside they both look very similar except from the rear.

Can anyone educate me as to what the major differances are between the two cars?

Thanks.

Take a road test drive TSX and then TL and you will see differances between TSX and TL. That's why I choose TL.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Instructor

TL vs. TSX

I just was going through the same decision process. I went on several test drives of both cars - in auto and manual transmissions.

TL: More spacious, luxurious interior. Unbelievable features for the price. The stereo is very crisp sounding - DVD audio is truly amazing. The rear seating is more comfortable. Fantastic engine with excellent torque. Very stable feeling on the highway. Not as lively feeling as compared to the TSX. Torque steer is quite apparent in the manual but quite livable in the auto.

TSX: Lots of fun to drive (6 speed). Love the engine sounds as you accelerate through the gears. No torque steer (due to fairly low torque/high revving engine). Nice interior, but several areas that are lower quality in terms of materials and finish. The exterior is rather mundane as compared to the TL. You can get an pretty cool plasma TV with the $6K you save on the TSX.

I bought a TL 2 days ago. The major reason being that I needed a larger interior for long hauls - and I just loved the exterior and interior styling.

If you are looking for more excitment get the TSX. If you need more space and more luxury get the TL. Both are excellent choices.

Go on as many test drives as you can. Best of luck!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Both nice cars, but drive both and only you can decide!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by melly
I just was going through the same decision process. I went on several test drives of both cars - in auto and manual transmissions.

TL: More spacious, luxurious interior. Unbelievable features for the price. The stereo is very crisp sounding - DVD audio is truly amazing. The rear seating is more comfortable. Fantastic engine with excellent torque. Very stable feeling on the highway. Not as lively feeling as compared to the TSX. Torque steer is quite apparent in the manual but quite livable in the auto.

TSX: Lots of fun to drive (6 speed). Love the engine sounds as you accelerate through the gears. No torque steer (due to fairly low torque/high revving engine). Nice interior, but several areas that are lower quality in terms of materials and finish. The exterior is rather mundane as compared to the TL. You can get an pretty cool plasma TV with the $6K you save on the TSX.

I bought a TL 2 days ago. The major reason being that I needed a larger interior for long hauls - and I just loved the exterior and interior styling.

If you are looking for more excitment get the TSX. If you need more space and more luxury get the TL. Both are excellent choices.

Go on as many test drives as you can. Best of luck!
Can you do this at the same dealership?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:57 PM
10th Gear

I think TSX may have better built quality than the TL. ?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Absolutely - It took a few trips to the dealer because they did not have a 6 speed TSX. I just told the sales person that I was trying to decide between the two vehicles. The only issue is that it can be very time consuming - and tiring. But I don't know of any other way to decide.

By the way - I drove 125 miles to get to the Acura dealer. I called to make sure they had the vehicle to test. The salesman that spoke to me on the phone was too busy to take me on the test drives. (It kind of ticked me off that I drove 2 hours to the dealer and this particular saleperson didn't have time). I just walked over to another sales person - he was great - no pressure. About 3 days later I made a deal over the phone and picked my new car a week later. When I arrived at the dealership to pick up the car - the original saleman greeted me and recognized me. I think he probably wished he would have made the time to go on a few test drives.

The point is: Find a saleperson who will spend time with you - it will probably pay off.

Best of luck.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to test drive a tsx and ending up buying a tl.

to me it was like night and day... tl by far better all around than tsx! imo.

best thing to do is test drive both "at the same dealership" , get all the info on both, and then go home and think about it. whatever you miss the most will be the one. for me it was the tl i couldn't stop thinking about.

i thought tsx was more for the younger early 20's crowd. they are both good cars.

good luck
Old 11-13-2004, 02:24 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
270hp V6power and very sporty exterior w/awesome interior gadgets =TL

If you can afford another $6000 go for the TL but if you are in a very tight budget then I guess you will just have to miss out the TL and go for the TSX. And trust me their is alot of stuff you will miss out on if you buy the TSX over the TL.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Read this....I hope it helps.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13771
Old 11-13-2004, 08:37 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
From having a TSX loaner a few times, here's some other differences to note:

- Gas mileage of the TSX's 4 banger is almost the same as the TL's V6...surprisingly! I expected it to be better.

- The steering wheel controls on the '04 TSX are not illuminated, they are on the '05.

- The TSX's sunroof is not one touch auto close/open like on the TL.

- The front passenger power window isn't 1 touch auto open/close like the TL's

- The TSX has a narrower turning radius and better manuverability in tight situations than the TL.

- The TSX's sunglass holder is on the overhead console WHERE IT BELONGS.

- If you want XM Radio in your TSX, it'll be available on the '05.

- Last, but not least, The TSX is MADE IN JAPAN.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Advanced

they are both nice cars.
test drive both car see which one you like.
if you like tsx better wait till the 05 comes out.
because it will have XM radio, pas power seat plus audio control on the wheel will light up. so if you decide to go with a tsx wait for an 2005. dont let your dealer talk you into getting a left over. me i went with a TL
Old 11-13-2004, 01:25 PM
PH1
ilikebigbuttsnicannotlie!

i prefer the TL ne day
Old 11-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Car Addict

tl, 270hp, 3400 lbs, low 14's

tsx, 200hp, 3200, high 14's
Old 11-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

TSX - is using Civic chasis
TL - is using Accord Chasis

Nuff said
Old 11-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Advanced

I drove both before going with the TL. The TSX is actually more sporty and more fun throwing through some twisties - you definately feel the weight on the TL (more so on the auto trans). However, the TL is clearly the faster one and a better rounded package. The TSX is clearly the big bro of the RSX, the TL is the son of the RL (the new one that is).
Old 11-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
tl, 270hp, 3400 lbs, low 14's

tsx, 200hp, 3200, high 14's
High 14's for a stock TSX? I don't think so. Try mid 15's. C&D had it at 15.7.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:30 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
test drove both and got the TSX, handling is my main priority. i'll wait for the AWD TL.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Neorick

Nuff said
Wrong! The TSX is essentially a Euro Accord (which is built on a smaller version of the Global Midsize platform that underpins many Honda vehicles). It is in no way related to the Civic other than they are both Honda/Acura products.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Racer

If you're serious about the TSX, I'd take a look at the V6 Accord, which I think is a better car for the same money.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DMZ
From having a TSX loaner a few times, here's some other differences to note:

- Gas mileage of the TSX's 4 banger is almost the same as the TL's V6...surprisingly! I expected it to be better.

- The steering wheel controls on the '04 TSX are not illuminated, they are on the '05.

- The TSX's sunroof is not one touch auto close/open like on the TL.

- The front passenger power window isn't 1 touch auto open/close like the TL's

- The TSX has a narrower turning radius and better manuverability in tight situations than the TL.

- The TSX's sunglass holder is on the overhead console WHERE IT BELONGS.

- If you want XM Radio in your TSX, it'll be available on the '05.

- Last, but not least, The TSX is MADE IN JAPAN.
Sorry to sound stupid but does made in Japan mean better quality?
Old 11-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Wrong! The TSX is essentially a Euro Accord (which is built on a smaller version of the Global Midsize platform that underpins many Honda vehicles). It is in no way related to the Civic other than they are both Honda/Acura products.

CORRECT! I'm glad someone else noticed......the TSX is no civic.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Advanced

Based on everything I read last year, the TSX was great value. We were pretty well decided on it and test drove it a couple of times. We were about to buy it, but decided to test drive it one more time - and to test drive the TL as well. The TSX was a very nice ride compared to our 98 Accord, but then we drove the TL. Wow, it was great. So we waited a couple of months for the 05s to come out, and have had our TL for a couple of weeks now.

It's a great car. I still like the TSX, but the TL to us was well worth the additional money.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Intermediate

I looked at both the TSX and TL and found the TL a more complete car for my needs. Another important thing to consider is what will you be happy with in 3-5 years. My experience with car ownership led me to believe I would be bored with the TSX after a short while and would be watching TL drivers with envy! Same rule used in home purchase; buy bigger and more than you can initially afford as your family and income are likely to grow (in my case). Both are impressive for different reasons.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I have a friend that was lookin at both but went for the TSX... few months later I asked him... how do you like the TSX... he says "It's nice, but its no TL"
Old 11-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Racer

70 horsepower was just too much to overlook for me.

Plus, the price difference isn't as big as you think. You *can* get a deal on a TL while trying to get a decent discount on the TSX is like pulling teeth.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Car Addict

TL is a luxury sedan, and the TSX is a high end Civic.

I am mistaken I think on the TSX 1/4 time, maybe it was 15.8 not 14.8.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Pro

Keep telling yourself that.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

What about the made in Japan comment? Does that make it a higher quality vehicle?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Race Director

Give it a test drive, they both have great qualities to them.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

As to your 'made in Japan' question: most people assume that Japanese cars are higher quality than cars made in America, even if they are made by a Japanese company. I haven't seen any data on that, so I don't know if it's really meaningful. Everything I've heard says that Honda Accords (made in America) have quality comparable to Japanese-made Honda products.

Regarding the cars, as everyone has said, you just have to drive them both. You'll find quite a few people on these boards who thought they'd buy a TL and ended up with a TSX and vice versa. It really has to do with what appeals to you personally.

My take on the cars is that they are both killers in their respective markets (the sub-$30K segment and the mid-$30K segment). A few specific comments:

TSX
- 4 cylinder engine, albeit one of the smoothest and most powerful out there.
- A little smaller and lighter; crisper handling
- Very clean styling, but some find it a little anonymous
- Probably the finest combination of luxury + sportiness for less than $30K.

TL
- Powerful 6 cylinder engine. Smoother than the 4.
- If you get the MT, expect torque steer
- A touch larger; if you have kids, have them sit in the back of both cars and compare.
- More aggressive, distinctive styling. [IMO]
- A few more amenities, such as the Hands Free Link for a bluetooth-equipped phone, and a nicer stereo, etc.
- I believe it has a few more safety features, like side curtain air bags in the rear and windows + sunroof that automatically retract if blocked. (Not sure if the TSX offers these)

Basically, you just have to drive them both and see which appeals to you more. If you value nimble handling and a tight turning circle, you'll prefer the TSX. If you want a few more amenities, a bit more room, or more passing power when loaded with passengers, you may find yourself drawn to the TL.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Racer

I've drivin both TSX(AT) and TL(AT) and went with the TL for it was a step better then the TSX.Now everyone keeps saying the TSX is by far better handling but its not the car its the driver.So i wouldnt use the corning factor to buy.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:57 PM
101 years of heartache...

See, what dumb people in general when talking about this don't understand (like some friends and family) is that the Civic (on the compact platform) and the Accord Euro (Global Midsized Platform) are not simliar at all. I can understand saying the TL is just an Accord or the RL is just a TL (although truely, they are not) because they are built on the same platform. Look, when we needed a new car, we had our eyes set on a TL. We loved it! Unfortunately, it was a week old at the time and the dealer wanted 36k for a Non-Navi 5AT! So, we thought of what to do and felt the TSX would be the best option.
Keep in mind, the TSX has won soooo many awards, the more notable ones include being one of C&D's 10 Best, JD Power's Best in Initial Quality for an Entry Level Luxury Car, and JD Power's Most Appealing Entry Level Luxury Car. There are so many others from Edmunds.com, MSN, NBC, Intellichoice, etc.

Having experienced both, I can honestly say, you get what you pay for at an expense in the fun-to-drive factor, because the TSX's engine revs so high and the suspension can take the curves so well. Like others have said, and I agree...

The TSX has...
great handling, a great engine to play with, a nice sound system, a great tranny, great quality.

The TL has...
great acceleration, good handling, an unbelievable sound system, good quality, great materials, tons of cool features for the price.

Look, Acura with these 2 can do what others can't, compete with larger 30k+ cars like the G35 and CTS, and around 30k cars like the A4 and S40. Acura has posted great successes with both, and we should be proud of each, not hate on each other = .
Old 11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Instructor

TSX = Chrome and painted window trim
TL = Peeling black stickers window trim

TSX = Paint on bumpers
TL = Paint on garage floor
Old 11-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrtgman

Thanks.
Actually, the very first turnoff for me was the shift knob on the TSX. It just seems like it's built for a woman. (I'm talking about the 6MTs)

Test drive both and you'll know where that extra $6K is going. The TSX is still a good choice however, if you're looking to save some dough.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Drive 'em both. No brainer for me. I did not want to spend all that money on a cheap feeling car. If it was like 20K, maybe I would have done it. But it just felt like crap - no if's and's or but's...the two cars are not in the same league.

Flame all you want - you simply cannot compare these two cars.

...that's why there is Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream. To each his own. Just be happy with the decision you make, cause you are the one that has to drive it every day.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:13 AM
Racer

Look at the new Accord Hybrid, 255 HP 29 CITY, 37 or 38 highway (NOT sure if this has arrived at all dealers yet, but I saw a commercial the other day). And if you don't mind a two door coupe, look at the V6 6MT Accord Coupe. Hopefullyl this will give you a couple more options in the same price range as a TSX.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Instructor

The Accord is ugly!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Neorick

Nuff said
wrong!

tsx is euro/jdm accord built in japan
tl is us accord built in the us

qualitywise? go test drive for urself
Old 11-16-2004, 08:53 AM

TL is a high end US accord
TSX is a high end Euro accord

TL is made in US
TSX is made in Japan

TSX has sideview mirror blinkers
TL does not

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between a 2005 tl and a 2005 tsx