Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Lid Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Lid Spring Question

In reference to the deck lid spoiler question, I have one about the springs in the trunk without any spoiler.

When I pop my trunk, it only opens about an inch or two. Is it supposed to swing open any more than that? My coworker has a Mercedes that has a trunk lid that swings fully open on its own. Is our trunk supposed to swing open and more than just an inch or two?
Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Our trunk was designed to only open 2-6 inches. It was not designed to open all the way up like the MB's.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro

Thanks for the reply.

How far does yours swing open? I'm wondering if I should ask for my springs to be replaced if it is supposed to swing up a bit more. I feel like the springs are weak and don't help slow down the trunk when someone other than me is closing it. I try to be gentle when closing the trunk but it seems everyone else thinks you have to slam it in order for it to close (damn morons).
Old 07-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Newbie for Life

I measured mine a long time ago, as this topic comes up every now and then, and mine came up about 5 1/2" or so.

If you had a lip spoiler installed, there's an outside chance that they did not install the spring or re-install it properly, thus causing your trunk not to open any further.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro

I have no spoiler whatsoever. Mine only comes up like and inch or two. Thats not right.
I think I'll go in and ask to have it changed.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Newbie for Life

Well, it might be that mine is the "odd man out" spoiler and all the others open up only 2" like yours.

Like I said above, the range I've gotten from this site is 2 - 6" and mine is closer to 6".

If it bothers you and you think it should open up further, of course take it in to your dealer and a service tech (if he's got any brain) will be able to tell you what's the norm. My guess is that they'll give you some BS answer like, "Trunk lid operates to spec."

Good luck!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is somewhat variable, but most of the time it opens about 2". When parked facing upwards on a hill and occasionally for no apparent reason at all it will open perhaps 6". This is somewhat less useful than if it fully opened because if your hands are full, you have to try to use an elbow or wrist (or hip) to get the trunk more open. I've heard that you can ask the dealer to adjust the spring so it opens more, and I intend to do that when I have the car serviced.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a blue or grey plastic clip that holds the pcenter point where both springs cross. Sometimes this pops out and hangs. This causes the trunk to only open an inch or so. In addition there are two positions the springs can be in, one is stiffer than the other and will cause the lid to open more. You need a tool to change it, its cheap 10 bucks.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Advanced

If you set your Set both of the springs in the second notch of the hinge brackets, it will give you a lilltle more lift. (about 3 -4 inch. more = 6 inch.) here is a Picture . If that is still too little, replace it to the TYPE S spring and set it to the second notch. ( type S spring parts # 74871-SEP-A20 74872-SEP-A20 )
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by NighthawkBlack
There is a blue or grey plastic clip that holds the pcenter point where both springs cross. Sometimes this pops out and hangs. This causes the trunk to only open an inch or so. In addition there are two positions the springs can be in, one is stiffer than the other and will cause the lid to open more. You need a tool to change it, its cheap 10 bucks.
Any way you could post some pics of this?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by princelybug
Any way you could post some pics of this?
Item # 12 in this pictrure (CLIP, TRUNK OPENER SPRING)
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yeah it's not meant to open all the way like on some other cars, just pop open like half way. If you like your trunk to open all the way then it's easy since you don't have a spoiler. Just get the trunk spring made for those people who have a spoiler. It will definitely swing all the way then. Problem is getting the part by itself? I think it normally comes as a package with the spoiler....you'd have to check on that. You also need a spring removal tool to put it in. Search the threads about that one.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by revolt
Item # 12 in this pictrure (CLIP, TRUNK OPENER SPRING)
Thanks revolt! Man, I gotta buy a $10 tool to install a $0.70 item? I was interested, because I have a 3G Type-S, and I don't like how my trunk only opens 1"-2" every single time.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by NighthawkBlack

Hmmm? Wonder if mine has come loose?

My trunk used to pop up a couple of inches - it was noticably "up" compared to the fender. Lately (past month or so) I've noticed that I can't tell if it's open or not - there is no visible gap between the trunk and the fender.

If you wondering, the trunk and liner are stock - no added spoilers, dynomat, etc.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HuKaShI
How far does yours swing open?
No spoiler or decklid, 2-6 inches is about what mine does too.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks revolt! Man, I gotta buy a $10 tool to install a $0.70 item?
Whose in for a group buy?!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Advanced

Thanks revolt! Man, I gotta buy a $10 tool to install a $0.70 item? I was interested, because I have a 3G Type-S, and I don't like how my trunk only opens 1"-2" every single time.
You don't need the $10. tool to install the .70 cents CLIP,
only if you replace your spring or move the spring into the second notch of the hinge.
(moving your spring into the second notch, can also be done using a large vise grip).
If you have a 3g type S, setting to the second notch still too little.
The only idea i have for you is try to get the WING SPOILER spring.
( I know the yellow and red spring, only come in the wing spoiler kit )

call Tim at Honda/Acura world...maybe he have some kind of pull to get it for U
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
hmm, great thread. My 08TLS, when I open the trunk, I really have no clue if it's open or not, mine doesn't spring up at all.

If someone can please post an actual pic of exactly what I need to move, or otherwise I'll be missing an eye by the time I'll do the 'reinstall'.

Thank you
Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine only opens about an inch the most. I am gonna check the spring clip.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

Mine opens about an inch also... Sometimes I cannot even tell it has opened; however, it does not bother me...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Race Director

when you are carrying something heavy, you really don't want to put it down, open the trunk,and then pick up the heavy item again.. I will check this out tonight. I thought it was suppose to be like this cause of spoiler lip.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced

only if you replace your spring or move the spring into the second notch of the hinge.
(moving your spring into the second notch, can also be done using a large vise grip).

Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced

The 3g types S comes with the yellow spring already....so you may want to get 2 of the red springs. The red springs are heavier in tension then the yellow. The left and right spring are identical, just the tension is different. Using 2 red springs set on the second notch will get you the most lift. I'm pretty sure with this combination your trunk may open all the way with a push of the button (without any spoiler and with a spoiler maybe halfway).
Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Here are the tension combination:

NO spoiler = 2 grey spring (right and left)

Oem lip spoiler = 1 yellow (left) spring + 1 grey (right) spring

Type S lip spoiler = 2 yellow ( left and right) spring

Oem wing spoiler = 1 yellow (left) spring +1 red (rght) spring
Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced

The 3g types S comes with the yellow spring already....so you may want to get 2 of the red springs. The red springs are heavier in tension then the yellow. The left and right spring are identical, just the tension is different. Using 2 red springs set on the second notch will get you the most lift. I'm pretty sure with this combination your trunk may open all the way with a push of the button (without any spoiler and with a spoiler maybe halfway).
The left and right spring are identical, my mistake, they are NOT identical, sorry for the error.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Advanced

The 3g types S comes with the yellow spring already....so you may want to get 1 of the red spring. The red springs are heavier in tension then the yellow. Using 1 red and 1 yellow spring, set on the second notch will get you the most lift. I'm pretty sure with this combination your trunk may open all the way with a push of the button (without any spoiler and with a LIP spoiler maybe halfway).
Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
It's not that it irritates me but it would be preferrable to me too to get the trunk to open all the way. I wouldn't mind getting in on a GB.

I have had it like that on other cars and it was better. I remember people who had these type of cars used to actually COMPLAIN about it saying it was extra effort to close the trunk and they didn't like it. Go figure, it's always like this, people have opposing preferences.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
maybe an open all the way and close all the way via remote? now thats a mod!!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
It's not that it irritates me but it would be preferrable to me too to get the trunk to open all the way. I wouldn't mind getting in on a GB.

I have had it like that on other cars and it was better. I remember people who had these type of cars used to actually COMPLAIN about it saying it was extra effort to close the trunk and they didn't like it. Go figure, it's always like this, people have opposing preferences.
sheesh, lol, we're never satisfied, huh?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Hey revolt, so let me get this straight. I need to buy the clip, and I need to replace at least one of my springs to the red one? Can you tell me the part # of this red spring? Also, if I'm replacing one spring, I might as well replace both. Now, if I'm going to do that, I need the $10 tool. What is this tool exactly, and where can I purchase it? You also said that this is a two man job, correct? I'm really debating doing this now. Thanks for your response!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by datmrman
Whose in for a group buy?!
+1.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Hey revolt, so let me get this straight. I need to buy the clip, and I need to replace at least one of my springs to the red one? Can you tell me the part # of this red spring? Also, if I'm replacing one spring, I might as well replace both. Now, if I'm going to do that, I need the $10 tool. What is this tool exactly, and where can I purchase it? You also said that this is a two man job, correct? I'm really debating doing this now. Thanks for your response!
*Need to buy the clip? Check your clip make sure your spring didn't come off it or broken.

*I need to replace at least one of my springs to the red one? The red spring Only come with the WING spoiler kit, I don't have the parts # to the red spring. Try contact Tim at Honda/Acurc world...he may have some kind of pull to get a red spring.( try setting your spring to the second notch see how that work out frist.)

*Also, if I'm replacing one spring, I might as well replace both? No, you can not replace both to red, the red trunk spring is for the right side ONLY.(Acura never made a red spring for the left side)

*What is this tool exactly? Here is a picture and here is a website

*You also said that this is a two man job, correct? If you do not use the tools, I would say yes it is a 2 man job. If you use the tool, I still suggest you have a friend hold the trunk while the spring is being removed. It is much safer. You do not want the trunk to fall on you. It sounds hard, but it is not if you have the tools. I did this with a large vise-grip and had my buddy hold the trunk for me. However, I do not advise this method.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I've got the wing spoiler and mine came with 2 springs. I don't recall what the colors were on them.

But for sure you'll need the tool. It was somewhat of a bitch even with it. Three hands are definitely the ticket.

My lid only pops open a couple inches.....no problem for me. I would imagine if the spring is strong enough to open it completely, it'll be hard to close.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Race Director

hmm, ok, considering I don't won't an obituary saying "Died from an overloaded spring to the head"

I think I'll skip this playing with high tension game, lol.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Anyone have any pictures of this 2nd notchor what I need to check? The spring changing tool is friggin 30 bucks now!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 PM
New shoes on my

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Anyone have any pictures of this 2nd notchor what I need to check? The spring changing tool is friggin 30 bucks now!
+1 I'm interested in some pictures because I really don't want to spend $30 on this tool to use once, and if I know what I'm looking for, I might be able to swing it with vice grips or something.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Exactly!
On one hand I do LIKE that I can close my trunk by letting it go from like 2 inches away from being closed...on the other hand...it's a bit heavy to lift. If I can make some adjustment to the springs I already have, I'd be happy!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Bumping this, does anyone have the specific part number for the yellow or red springs? My springs were weak to start with, added just a lip spoiler and my trunk won't even stay open if the front of the car is higher than the rear, with the rear higher than the front it stays up. I recently added some sound deadening (removed the weight on the lid to counteract the added weight) and my trunk barely opens now. Also has anyone tried 2 red springs?

The 3 possible part numbers I found are

08F12-SEP-20121
08F12-SEP-20120
08F12-SEP-20021

But the descriptions don't say which is which.

Last edited by 350; 03-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when i press the trunk button on my fob.. my does even spring up anymore it used to before
Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bumping an old thread...looks like my left spring broke at the U hook on the drivers side. Now to replace this , do I need a trunk tool? Or will using a vise grip suffice to pop it into the bracket? Need to know before I put the order in for the clip, which shattered left spring and possibly the trunk tool. And does anyone who did this, tell me is there only one way to install this.