3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question for you gear heads....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission question for you gear heads....

Gentlemen,

One of the best things about this forum is the level of expertise lugnuts like me can access. My level of expertise is actually negative. But I followed the recipe for gradually changing my fluid with redline over three drain/fills and have never looked back, tranny runs great! I can look it up (and I will) but if I recall correctly it was

Redline racing X3 for first
Redline racing X2 + lightweight racing for second
Redline racing + lightweight racing X2 for third
Redline racing + lightweight racing + D4 for 4th and following

I now do the last every other oil change, and have been delighted. Thank you.

Well, my son is buying a used 2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5L SV sedan with 27,000 miles on it and it says to do a drain/flush at 30,000. Different car, so I joined a Maxima forum and holy smokes! No experts, just lugnuts like me. Half of them don't know you need to change your tranny fluid at all, the other half doesn't know the difference between a drain/fill and power flush, and nobody talks about different fluids. maybe I am on the wrong forum, but there is no way I'm going to learn ANYTHING over there. There are no experts there near as I can tell.

My question is can I follow the same procedure for that car? I'm afraid to just assume the same prescription will work on that transmission, but maybe it will. I am afraid to proceed without getting some advice from someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about.

It is a 7th generation Maxima, and the transmission is a CVT (continuously variable transmission). Anyone have any clue or know where I can locate some knowledgeable forum for the car?

I think I'll replace my current 3G TL with a later model in a couple years simply because I know around here I can get solid advice. Thanks in advance and sorry for bringing up a different make/model of car, but I thought I might get some good dope here on it.

John
Old 05-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
A CVT transmission is a whole 'nother type of transmission by design and the fluids you used (D4, Type-F Racing, Lightweight Racing) aren't compatible with CVT transmissions.

I don't know what kind of problems will occur but they make CVT specific transmission fluid.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=128&pcid=9

Maybe someone with more in-depth knowledge about CVT vs traditional trans fluid will chime in and tell us the differences and if there is any type of traditional trans fluid that can be used in CVT with out harm.

I would go with CVT specified fluid just to be safe though.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 Redline does have CVT compatible fluid.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-30804

Shop around for a better price but I've found redline products are pretty much price locked. I just go with summitracing since they are 20 minutes from my house.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Well, glad I came back here! I did not see that at the maxima forums!

Thanks, guys! I'll order a case of that CVT stuff from Redline. Preesh!
Old 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Kind of the same deal with my son, who bought a 5th gen Prelude with the sport shift automatic. Can't even ask a question about it on a Prelude board without getting flamed for not having the 5 speed.

I'm guessing just go with DW-1 for now and see how that work?
Old 05-19-2014, 05:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Kind of the same deal with my son, who bought a 5th gen Prelude with the sport shift automatic. Can't even ask a question about it on a Prelude board without getting flamed for not having the 5 speed.

I'm guessing just go with DW-1 for now and see how that work?
Nope, definitely not. If anyone else is wondering about this the solution is in post #2.

Thanks, vietxquangstah!

Redline makes a CVT specific transmission fluid.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnCollins
Nope, definitely not. If anyone else is wondering about this the solution is in post #2.

Thanks, vietxquangstah!

Redline makes a CVT specific transmission fluid.

For sure Redline is the way to go, I even use Redline hi temp ATF in my TL's PS with 0 problems
Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I run Redline NON SLIP CVT fluid in the Murano with great results. The torque converter lockup is much gentler. On the OEM fluid it would lock abruptly and shudder the car. Well, not a traditional shudder but imagine letting off the throttle quickly in 1st gear in a manual at low speed. It's that back and forth caused by drivetrain wind up. It got completely rid of the low speed jerk as the converter locked under light throttle.

That "belt" can never slip or it's junk nearly instantly. That's why I specified the non slip.
Anyway, overall CVT operation is smoother and it's harder to feel the steps when accelerating. I got a notice in the mail a couple years ago stating the warranty had been extended to something like 10 years and 100,000+ miles so it's up to you if you want to go non factory.
I swapped the factory fill out at 30k and again at 45k. I probably won't do it again until past 100k. It has 66k on it now. One of the benefits to a good robust synthetic is that they don't need to be changed as often. Since the CVT is run with the converter locked probably more than 90% of the time and it comes with a cooler from the factory, it should be fairly gentle on the fluid. The fluid should last a fairly long time assuming it's fairly sheer resistant.

I would not hesitate to run Redline in your CVT. It's cheaper than the factory fluid and from the few UOAs I've seen it uses a far superior base oil. Make sure yours recommends the non slip which I'm pretty sure all Nissans do.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Just to make sure it's clear, a regular ATF is usually a short death for a CVT. You might get away with a Type F fluid but I would never ever even think of trying it.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:14 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My trans in 2nd gear the car jump (jerk) so do u think if I change the transmission fluid it will take care of that problem? If yes what can of additive can I add and what kind of oil?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Acura tl type s
Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Moepaye
03 Acura tl type s
Check the 2nd gen forum