Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission downshifting hard from 2nd to 1st in Sport shift mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Transmission downshifting hard from 2nd to 1st in Sport shift mode

Tonight i was taking my TL out for a rare spirted drive in the rain and coming out of a corner at about 4k rpm's i went wide open on the throttle and the transmission downshifted into 1st gear and redlined for about a second then shifted back into 2nd... I know our TL's shift between 1st and 2nd even in sport shift but should i be worried? Maybe it was a fluke because of the rain & VSC system? 2006 base model, I've replaced 3rd/4th pressure switches, filter, and I run redline synthetic D4 ATF. All preventaive maintence no issues so far.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Since you already have Redline D4 in the car it's kind of a pita for you to switch out to dw-1. It is my feeling that the Honda transmission being the way it is should only be using Honda transmission fluid. I agree that red line is good stuff. As is Mobil 1, royal purple and all the other Boutique stuff. The one thing about my car that I never change is the fluid running in the transmission. When I change my transmission fluid I always stick with DW 1. I heard from several mechanics whom I trust that the Honda transmission should stay with Honda fluid. I would switch out fluid immediately to dw1. See if that helps your problem. If not get it in for a transmission check up immediately. Unfortunately if the transmission is going to go then there's nothing you can do about it.

Last edited by svtmedic; 04-07-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmedic
Since you already have Redline D4 in the car it's kind of a pita for you to switch out to dw-1. It is my feeling that the Honda transmission being the way it is should only be using Honda transmission fluid. I agree that red line is good stuff. As is Mobil 1, royal purple and all the other Boutique stuff. The one thing about my car that I never change is the fluid running in the transmission. When I change my transmission fluid I always stick with DW 1. I heard from several mechanics whom I trust that the Honda transmission should stay with Honda fluid. I would switch out fluid immediately to dw1. See if that helps your problem. If not get it in for a transmission check up immediately. Unfortunately if the transmission is going to go then there's nothing you can do about it.
Thanks for the reply, as far as the OEM fluid or bust i think it's well known that as long as you know what weight oil you're putting in these trans you can run different ATF's. My honda Dw-1 atf would turn black after 5k miles on it between invervals until i did a 3x3 with Redline D4. I think i'm going to try a single fluid change with the Racing Type Redline fluid because i've read up about the D4 being on the slippery side. Which is slighty a good thing another reason besides fully synthetic that i switched is that lower viscosity gives you better mpgs. The racing fluid should increase the friction of the clutch packs and hopefully grab next time my car wants first. Cheers.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Waffeey
Tonight i was taking my TL out for a rare spirted drive in the rain and coming out of a corner at about 4k rpm's i went wide open on the throttle and the transmission downshifted into 1st gear and redlined for about a second then shifted back into 2nd... I know our TL's shift between 1st and 2nd even in sport shift but should i be worried? Maybe it was a fluke because of the rain & VSC system? 2006 base model, I've replaced 3rd/4th pressure switches, filter, and I run redline synthetic D4 ATF. All preventaive maintence no issues so far.
not to make you seem crazy, but did you see the car go down to 1st? If yes, the trans was probably trying to get to 1st however the rain caused traction loss and VSA kicked in butting you back in second. OR the trans was in 2nd and VSA kicked in...