3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS reading does not correlated with the tire pressure gauge reading.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 AM
LTO
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS reading does not correlated with the tire pressure gauge reading.

My TPMS reading is alway 3-4 PSI lower than the actual reading taken with the tire pressure gauge (high quality analog tire pressure gauge ~ $15). I checked the tire pressure in the morning before driving to work.

Is this mean that the TPMS does not measuring the tire pressure correctly?
How do I calibarate the TPMS? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LTO
My TPMS reading is alway 3-4 PSI lower than the actual reading taken with the tire pressure gauge (high quality analog tire pressure gauge ~ $15). I checked the tire pressure in the morning before driving to work.

In my experience, just about anything electronic used to "measure" anything for less than $100-$150 is crap not worth buying, be it calipers, pressure guages, slide rulers or levels... They typically all have a negligable error, but will get you "close," that's the price we pay demanding cheap Chinese electronics.

Instead, I have a good quality manual slide tire guage, it has metal fittings instead of plastic and they are hard to find (hint: look in truck stops). It is perfectly accurate with the analogue guages I have on my bike pump and compressor regulator... Since I can verify it with two other analogue guages made by different manufacturers, I'm confident it is providing the same reading that I get on my TPMS readout... I get the same pressure all the way around.

At the very least, verify your guage against others before committing to the TPMS being wrong.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:04 AM
LTO
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by onsknth
In my experience, just about anything electronic used to "measure" anything for less than $100-$150 is crap not worth buying, be it calipers, pressure guages, slide rulers or levels... They typically all have a negligable error, but will get you "close," that's the price we pay demanding cheap Chinese electronics.

Instead, I have a good quality manual slide tire guage, it has metal fittings instead of plastic and they are hard to find (hint: look in truck stops). It is perfectly accurate with the analogue guages I have on my bike pump and compressor regulator... Since I can verify it with two other analogue guages made by different manufacturers, I'm confident it is providing the same reading that I get on my TPMS readout... I get the same pressure all the way around.

At the very least, verify your guage against others before committing to the TPMS being wrong.

This is the the dial gauge I am using http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3192.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally don't think that you need to spend $100-$150 for a tire pressure gauge. You can get a very good "ACCU-GAGE" with brass fittings, and guaranteed accuracy for about $15.00. Much better than a $2-3 pencil gauge.
Personally, my '07 TL-S TPMS reads a consistent 1 lb. lower than the Accu-gage.
Even as anal as I am about tire pressures, I won't sweat it.
I don't know of any way to recalibrate the TPMS.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Racer

I still use the dial tire pressure gauge I got for my first car (That was in 1972!!!)

My TPMS always reads the same as the gauge. When the TPMS said one of the tires was down to 20#... Sure enough it was. I had picked up a nail in my tire.

I would check your tire pressure with at least one more good tire gauge. If you still have a difference, bring it to Acura... They should be able to fix it.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
sometimes when I turn the car on the tpms reads 58psi on the driver side tire (impossible since every gauge I use states 35) electronics are made to malfunction which is why they comeout with updates... The manual states check your tires atleast 1nce a month and do not depend on the tpms... it will tell you when the tire is extreemly low but it wont tell you that you are not at the proper level by itself...
Old 08-27-2007, 12:33 PM
LTO
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by stillhere153
sometimes when I turn the car on the tpms reads 58psi on the driver side tire (impossible since every gauge I use states 35) electronics are made to malfunction which is why they comeout with updates... The manual states check your tires atleast 1nce a month and do not depend on the tpms... it will tell you when the tire is extreemly low but it wont tell you that you are not at the proper level by itself...
Yes, that is true. Sometime the TPMS momentary read 58 psi when I turned on the key and a few seconds later it went to normal reading.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
K i though i was seeing things
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
Mine always read 58 psi when I start the car. Once I move they read the correct numbers.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by LTO
Yes, that is true. Sometime the TPMS momentary read 58 psi when I turned on the key and a few seconds later it went to normal reading.
Is it your tire gage or did you borrow it from teng?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
oh boy
Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all tire pressure gauges are going to read the same psi or be accurate, if you test different gauges they may not all read the same, they may be 3-4 psi off. I just wouldnt go and say the the tpms system is off because of 3-4 psi difference on a $15 tire pressure gauge!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LTO

I assume you are comparing all four wheels. If you are the question is are all four sensors wrong or perhaps one pressure gauge. I doubt that all four TPMS are wrong by almost the exact same amount. Try a couple of other gauges and see if you still have the same results.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
This is teng back again, trying to fool us by posting something a level up from his usual drivel.

Since he won't be here to defend himself against your arguments, I'm closing the thread.