3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:00 PM
yo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pictures of spedos at these speeds would be the shit!
Old 01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do between 120-145 in Germany pretty regularly (most recently last night German time in a Benz C Class where I kept it down near 125) between Stuttgart and Frankfurt but not in a TL. I'd rent one there and open it up if I could! I don't see doing that here without risking big problems. First there are of course the speed limits here and then there are less favorable road conditions and squirrely drivers that don't follow any lane discipline.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jj87
Old 01-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Top Speed in TL 139-141 mph

I run between Cleveland & Detroit (150 miles) occasionally and there is a certain area of the Ohio Turnpike where you can open it up on the right day and see for miles in both directions.

Did about 150 mph many times in my BMW 540 6spd. Felt very planted. Great adrenaline rush.

Hit 140 (give or take a couple) twice in the 6mt TL. Does not suck to the ground like the Bimmer. But definitely a can do if you have about 90 seconds..

(Only with no traffic in sight! Oh, and no planes).

They can get you for vehicular manslaughter at that speed in this state. Just for being caught by the radar..
Old 01-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Need More HP!!!

Pic of Speedo

I will work on that. Check out www.bmwtips.com M5 forum. you will see many pics of what you are looking for (just not in a TL!)
Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 PM
yo

Thanks man, i'll check it out. I hope i don't miss whatever you're working on.

Originally Posted by gman44116
I will work on that. Check out www.bmwtips.com M5 forum. you will see many pics of what you are looking for (just not in a TL!)
Old 01-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro

I've been up to about 125-130 on a deserted, straight, beach road on LI at dusk. I just quickly glanced at the speed, since one mouse in the road and I'm toast. There is nothing but beach grass and large dune-type bushes out there, so really nothing to crash into. So as I'm accelerating beyond 125.... bush ends, state trooper begins. Holy shit, that fucker must have been asleep because there is no way he is not noticing a car 20 yards away traveling at 120+MPH. I just took my foot off the gas and let the car slow to normal speeds.

I also bought a radar detecter after that, but I rarely ever hit 100 except on empty roads at odd times. I'm a fan of driving fast, but some of you idiots saying that you hit 150+ weekly are either fucking liars, fucking stupid, or fucking DEAD.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Need More HP!!!

A Mouse does not mean the end

Originally Posted by apwalsh
I've been up to about 125-130 on a deserted, straight, beach road on LI at dusk. I just quickly glanced at the speed, since one mouse in the road and I'm toast. There is nothing but beach grass and large dune-type bushes out there, so really nothing to crash into. So as I'm accelerating beyond 125.... bush ends, state trooper begins. Holy shit, that fucker must have been asleep because there is no way he is not noticing a car 20 yards away traveling at 120+MPH. I just took my foot off the gas and let the car slow to normal speeds.

I also bought a radar detecter after that, but I rarely ever hit 100 except on empty roads at odd times. I'm a fan of driving fast, but some of you idiots saying that you hit 150+ weekly are either fucking liars, fucking stupid, or fucking DEAD.

I hit a babboon sized raccoon in the fall season at night going abut 110 on the Ohio turnpike. Of course I didn't see it until it was too late. Went right under the left front tire. Big shot of adrenaline though. All I remember was CRUNCH!! At that speed, it is like running over butter.. Quite a smell comes with it for a few minutes. Smell went right through the intake. No damage nor did I have to hose anything off when I got home.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
speed demons

had mine up to about 130.... There was a porsche on the road and he was out there playing on an open sretch of pavement on a clear day.

I hope you guys have fairly new rubber and cars when you do this. I hear about people taking their cars to the max with worn components. My biggest concern would be rubber. V rated or not you have to have the right tires for the right conditions. And, nobody else in the car.. preferably on a track.

Since you are not used to these speeds, it can be a surprise when you need to slow down or manuever the car. I was soing 130 and hit an exit ramp that was a hill. I down shifted a gear and lightly hit the brake thinking the ramp gearing and brakes would slow me down. I found myself down one more gear and antilocks kicking in on dry pavement to stop at the top of the ramp.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Enthusiastic Newbie

Hey Everybody - I'll forgo the life lessons relating to testerone and the gas pedal. Suffice it to say I see young males testing the size of their nuts and killing others quite often - generally at much lower speeds than you all brag about here.

My question relates to the "black-box" in our cars. Do you think it records any of this for future retrieval. I'm thinking more along the lines of tracking the number of times the car has been over-rev'd or maybe how many time over 100 MPH and for how long. Not the stuff that is recorded for 8-10 seconds before airbag deployment.

I may be paranoid, but I fear getting in an accident and watching some lawyer have a field day with the data retrieved from my TL which shows I never applied the brakes like I thought I did. Or maybe it shows I was travelling 55 in a 30.

Anybody know details about what is captured?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leo221
i drive no more than 77mph
good for you
Old 05-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob In Miami
<<About Once a week I get my TL up to 153 MPH, where it cuts out. Thats with VSA off (like usual) and 6sp mt. 1 month ago, I was pulled over for 149 MPH, ticketed, and I took a class to get it removed>>

I think it is terrific that your drive at those speeds on a regular basis. Soon enough the gene pool will be cleared of the likes of you. You are endangering the lives of others. I don't care how empty the road is or what time it is, at those speeds you have no time to react to the unexpected, and eventually the unexpected WILL occur. Unless you are driving once a week on a track, you have no business driving at those speeds on public roads.

Bob
STFU :whocares: in this thread how evil you think speeders are. Start a Slow-Assed-Drivers thread where you all can brag about how slow you drive:

Originally Posted by Dick Face
Last week was so super!!!, I got my speed all the way down to 25 on the freeway. I was going so slow cars were wrecking after swerving to avoid hitting me, but I was going so slow that the accidents were actually cleaned up by the time I got there!!!
Bob
Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

I haven't just went all out on the TL yet. After I did the engine swap on my civic, I got it up to 130+ before the rev limiter stepped in. I don't think I'll ever get the TL topped out. Maybe one of these days I guess.....
Old 05-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

With all respects to bob, there are a FEW roads in teh US where you can open it up and pose a danger only to yourself and a few unfortunate bugs. There are some desert roads, where if another car crossed your path, you would see it a few miles in advance. There used to be a road in the south with no speed limit up until a few years ago. WE ALL KNOW SPEEDING IS STUPID, so no need to constantly call the person an idiot. They are making a choice, be it good or bad, and you having a fit about it isnt really helping. I personally would not brake 100 on the highways, (unless I was in one of those desert places, which if you happen to wipe out on, will probably not be found for 5 days, and if you are, it wil take them forever to get a rescue crew out), but do plan on going to a track at some point.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Pro

One of my old bosses bought a BMW 540... picked it up in Germany and they took a drive on the Autobahn.... they have a picture of the car and the speedo is at 155...

Yes, it is the ....
Old 05-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

i got mine to 135mph on the parkway.. took me about 2-3 exits and i was there... it was 4 am no cars around.. no one was hurt thank god.. and vsa was on the whole time... never again will i take it up there... 120mph is good for me... 135mpg i almost shitted in my pants... seriously
Old 05-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done 135mph with my wife and kid in the car. They new we were going fast but had no idea that we were doing 135mp. The car was solid and very comfortable and controllable at that speed.

I've done 120mph on a regular basis driving between Dallas and Tyler. The car is very smooth with the A-Spec suspension and i feel in control.

I am very conscience of other drivers when driving fast. Normally only in the open road will i speed. I'll slow when coming up to or passing traffice on multi-lane highways.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
I've done 135mph with my wife and kid in the car. They new we were going fast but had no idea that we were doing 135mp. The car was solid and very comfortable and controllable at that speed.

I've done 120mph on a regular basis driving between Dallas and Tyler. The car is very smooth with the A-Spec suspension and i feel in control.

I am very conscience of other drivers when driving fast. Normally only in the open road will i speed. I'll slow when coming up to or passing traffice on multi-lane highways.
what are you smoking!!!! wife and kids in the car.... your insane... how will you live with the fact if anything does happen god forbid.... if i was your wife you'll be sleeping on the couch.... hey you life....
Old 05-20-2005, 12:41 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

honestly i dont know why some of you say you would never do 130,140 or even 155 ever again.. the car feels very stable at those speeds and doesnt scare me at all. what's scary is the fact that a deer, a rock, or a even a car could jump in front of you. that's something to be scared of, but taking the car to those speeds in itself is not scary at all imo...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Please don't flame me for this... I don't do these kinds of stupid things like top speed runs anymore... This was about 4 or 5 years ago. Now I rarely, if ever, go over 100.

but... Here's the fastest I've ever driven... if any second geners are in here reading they might recognize this gauge cluster

this is a 2000 TL (obviously not a type-s in 2000) and NO, I was not the one holding the camera!

Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
The speed police censored your picture, I guess. It is not showing in the thread.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Advanced

i can see it.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:39 PM
6MT & LSD

yup, i can see it, too. 147~ mph @ 5600~ rpm
Old 05-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Thanks. I can see it now too.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i drive no more than 77mph

because, this is the barrier of what CHP looks for. over it, i get a ticket
Old 05-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

because, this is the barrier of what CHP looks for. over it, i get a ticket
Dotn be fooled, I've gotten a ticket for 4mph over (eherm, i mean, being accused of 4mph over) before. It would up becoming a "defective equipment" charge though......

If you're going to speed, do it right. The fact is you will get a ticket sometime, so you might as well speed 200 times before you get that ticket. Its a better deal than speeding once and getting tagged. Think of the gas pedal as a coupon.

As for me, I dont think ive ever been much above 105 or so. I still remember that day, some old dude in his sports car merging with me wouldn't let me in. After about two seconds of him pacing me, i just floored it, and passed his ass. Never before have I had a car with such giddy-up when you're already going fast. I'd really like to completely open it up on a track somewhere, or maybe some closed down airport or something. Where I live there really aren't alot of long stretches of road. Too many stoplights and the highways are either winding or crowded.

If anyone knows a good place to play in KC, lemme know.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mp3car
Please don't flame me for this... I don't do these kinds of stupid things like top speed runs anymore... This was about 4 or 5 years ago. Now I rarely, if ever, go over 100.

but... Here's the fastest I've ever driven... if any second geners are in here reading they might recognize this gauge cluster

this is a 2000 TL (obviously not a type-s in 2000) and NO, I was not the one holding the camera!

I'm drueling man, seriously, sweet!!! (good idea to cover your bases on the camera holding thing. Alot of flaming flamers here.)
Old 05-23-2005, 04:30 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Originally Posted by NoSupport

If anyone knows a good place to play in KC, lemme know.
take a drive to wichita there are plenty of places on the turnpike in between there and here... actually, I've never drive over about 90 on it, on the few trips i've made to KC (I've only lived in wichita for 2.5 years). But, here in wichita, once you get on the outskirts, and I imagine its the same way for KC, there are a lot of straight roads with no traffic, but I'd still rather do it on some road where i KNEW there wouldnt be anyone else... like an oval track maybe
Old 05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
mio
Police

TL: 110mph
Old 05-24-2005, 03:53 AM
Banned

take a drive to wichita there are plenty of places on the turnpike in between there and here... actually, I've never drive over about 90 on it, on the few trips i've made to KC (I've only lived in wichita for 2.5 years). But, here in wichita, once you get on the outskirts, and I imagine its the same way for KC, there are a lot of straight roads with no traffic, but I'd still rather do it on some road where i KNEW there wouldnt be anyone else... like an oval track maybe
Once I was having a real shit day 'cause i got stood up for a date, so I had to kill some time to keep ppl from asking, so I drove a ford explorer (my car at the time) as far north as I could before having to turn back. On the way back I (stopped at a licenced racing track facility and paid the fees, or something like that) got it up to 110 mph. The thing was vibrating with the frequency of a cheap ham radio. The steering wheel was shaking and shit. I later found out that tires have a speed rating, so I guess I was lucky nothing happened. At the time, I probably wouldn't have cared. There wasn't much traffic out there at the time if I remember right, and i wasn't worried about myself.

But yeah, I'd rather know for sure I wouldn't get a ticket. And maybe theres someone at a track who can radar you to get the 'official' top speed. That, and I'd assume they have paramedics on site just in case. I'd prefer a striaght track like a runway or tarmack cause I want to see what happens if I drive for a few mins with no hands, but I think driving up to KCI would get me arrested...
Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Originally Posted by NoSupport
... I'd prefer a striaght track like a runway or tarmack cause I want to see what happens if I drive for a few mins with no hands, but I think driving up to KCI would get me arrested...
Yes, I'd say so!!
but actually, I'm not even sure if a runway would be long enough... I think the one here in wichita at McConnell afb is about 12,000 feet/~2 miles, so I don't know if that'd be enough... one of the longest in the US is here in Salina, KS, which is why richard Branson of Virgin chose salina for his plane thing that went around the world without stopping...
Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
Rofl...149 and ticketed, and a class removed it? You sir, are a big box of animal shit.
That about sums it up.... I'm laughing out-loud now...

I know in the states I have lived in (except MT) you would have gone straight to jail without passing "Go".....
Old 05-25-2005, 08:50 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gas gage was on full 50 seconds ago....
Old 05-25-2005, 03:22 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Gas gage was on full 50 seconds ago....
HAH! yeah really...

actually, I bet at that speed you're probably only getting maybe 5mpg at best.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:57 PM
mario_bbb

ONLY 151 Mph ( I DON'T KNOW WHY I CAN'T TO ACHIEVE 152MPH )
Old 06-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Racer

From San Jose to Los Angeles, It took me 3.5 hours.
That includes one way + 30 min dinner + 15 min ticket.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

I didnt mean to try and start a picture speed competition posting thread... please, if you're going to post a pic of your speedo going XXX mph, please do so only if you already have the picture...

I just don't want to see anyone going out and doing this just to get a picutre of it so they can post it on a board...
Old 06-26-2005, 10:42 AM
mario_bbb

Sorry About Poor Quality

Old 06-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

105 - Twice

I've gotten my 2005 TL up to 105 MPH twice. Once on 95 North (Maryland) and once on 81 West (WV). Could have gone faster, but didn't see the point.

I just can't believe how rock solid this car feels even at that speed.

-ME
Old 06-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by stroutman
How fast in mph can the TL actually go? Is it governed?
I think the top speed as 155 like other people have said. I've gotten it to 130 on I-20 and it was still pulling. I slowed it down due to not wanting to spend a night in jail. At 130 it was VERY smooth.

chipplaysdrums, don't you hate that everyone seems to want to race you when you are just minding your own business?

Quick Reply: Top Speed