Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?

The tl type s is just one of the cars im looking into getting for a first car. I already know power would be a big concern for a young driver but i can handle my dads 330hp g37 just fine so dont worry about power. I dont speed but my only real irresponsibility is accelerating(up to the speed limit) fast. What care about most is handling though. So is the tl type s okay for a first car?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
I guess? There could be better choices but there also could be worse.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Young drivers always think they can handle power and responsibility until they can't. Obviously you've already decided and want people to approve of your decision. I wouldn't give a kid a type-S as a first car. Its not a death trap, but I don't really think its an appropriate first car.
The following 4 users liked this post by geekybiker:
Aman (11-28-2012), CLtotheTL32 (11-28-2012), Undying Dreams (11-28-2012), Vietnastee (11-29-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Yeah why not? Type S , or maybe a base TL?

Last edited by THEReeM718; 11-28-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Goldmember

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If YOU can afford it then by all means get what you want.

I sure do wish a type S would have been my first car, I had to settle for a little 90's POS mazda that on a good day got me from A-B....hell even with that and insurance I was broke lol.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
My cousin's first car is a 2006 Base auto. He's rear-ended somebody with it, but that's to be expected. My first car was a 1997 Wrangler, which was obviously a rollover concern. You're probably going to wreck it, but how bad is up to how responsible you are.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by THEReeM718
Yeah why not? Type S , or maybe a base TL?
I own a 2012 Acura TL FWD/Base and even it is very punchy. I could see a younger driver getting in trouble in one of these cars. Checkout the motor week review of this car on YouTube. It was said that the 2012 FWD model was "hairier and nastier" than expected and the reviewer said he could easily see a inexperienced driver getting into trouble. The biggest concern is control of the car under rapid acceleration...it is tricky given the electric steering of the car. I'm veteran driver, and it caught me off guard at first. Being less experienced in other areas of driving can get you into a situation where you underestimate or overestimate and in these scenarios, reaction time needs to be super quick.

The other thing you will run into is your insurance is going to be very expensive, especially for the type S.

I have always been against a first car costing more than 2-3K because most often than not, teens learn from their mistakes in these cars such as a minor fender bender or a full drawn out accident. My first car was a piece of crap...cost $400 and ended up damaged not because of my inexperience but someone else's in the high school parking lot. This just backed out of a parking spot without even looking behind him. Student parking lots are the worse for nice cars. If you ever noticed, the teachers have their own parking lot, and for good reason. I would say wait until at least right before college, insurance will still be high but you will have some experience under your belt by then.

Here is a link to the review, it is actually from RoadFlyTV:

Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
^^^^since you mention it, I had drove Lexus GS series and I thought the steering wheel was light and when I jump into a 2012 TSX loaner I got a nasty surprise when quickly changing lane on the highway the steering wheel felt like it move a little but the actual steering move alot and yes this is just a 4 banger TSX with 201 HP. I drive for sometime now and definitely can handle that little 200 hp car but some thing in the new car always await to surprise you.

OP you said you can handle a G37 right? yes every one can handle G37 in straight line accel but when you are in trouble like the car over steer or under steer in a corner I can guaranteeing you that your chance of not crashing is slim. I remember many kids back in my HS time making fun of my so call "elderly people car AKA 92 Legend sedan MT" until some of them decided to show me "whats up" with his brand new 07 Impreza Subaru "momy Xmast gift" and the other guy with "brother 02 IS300 with bolt on". I told them lets go and have mountain run instead of highway run because mountain has way less traffic "we live in the middle of no where" and plus corner will reveal the skills require not the car HP number. And the result was IS300 and 07 Impreza can't even keep up with me in the twisty, at the time I had three years of driving experience at NYC traffic and mountain run with couple time of spun out but able to recover. Experience is more importance than HP, Jermy Clarkson said "just like sex, when come to driving every men think that they are good at until they actually drive". I was young and dumb back then but now just relax on my cruise control set at 75 mph every time I got on the highway.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i've heard of WAY too many young driver stories totaling the cars they bought or their parents bought (nice cars to mainstream late model cars).

this always brings me back to that kid who died after he crashed and burned his $200k ferrari recently b/c his parents could afford to buy him one for his 18th b-day.

most young drivers beat the crap out of their first cars. drive them hard, too fast, wreck them (there have been a number of those on here), dont' take care of them in general (dings/scratches/maintenance)...etc.

is the type-s for you? who's to say? it's one thing to be driving your dad's car (it's your dad's car, of course you're going to be careful), but when you have your own beast to drive...you're going to want to test it's limits. face it you're young and inexperienced, you will be bound to make poor judgements from time to time. from an economics point of view...it's probably not a good idea (cost of car, maintenance, caring for it, insurance on a young driver for a sports sedan-OUCH).

it's hard to decide for you since none of us really know you as a real person.
The following users liked this post:
IIDXholic (11-30-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
OP, for a first car...get something you won't care about if you total it. the majority of new drivers wreck their cars due to inexperience.

i know a type-s is awesome and neat and all that but i don't want to see you or it get hurt.

get a cheap beater you can practice on and get a type-s or another nicer car when you have some miles on you.
The following 2 users liked this post by SharksBreath:
Acura_Dude (11-28-2012), CLtotheTL32 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
As someone mentioned your chances of wrecking your first car, major or minor are very likely.

That being said, if you are stuck on a TL, go with a base model. They will be cheaper to repair.

Better than that however, would be some sub 3k car. Get to know the street signs without hesitation, drive in weather condition, dawn/dusk conditions and get totally comfortable with the road. If after a year you have no issues, then move on to something you "like" better.

Also, not metioned... who's paying for the insurance? If you and not your parents you may want to get quotes BEFORE purchasing any car to see where you stand.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts
I got a base TL as my first car. It also depends on how old are you when you get your first car. The younger you are the better you are off with an inexpensive car. It really comes down to how responsible and mature you are and if you think you can handle a type s as a first car and can afford it, then by all means get one.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
If your parents can afford it then I say go for it. It is a safe, reliable car with a lot of power. Just be careful.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Racer

Now that I think about it, the first thing I did before buying every car I had between 16-25 was check insurance rates. I remember one being $250/month and that seemed reasonable. I would sht a brick if my agent said that now.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
As much as you might not think so, it can be nice to have a cheap POS thats horribly slow and economical as a first car. You don't really need to care about it, which is nice. Plus, you don't really need collision or comprehensive on it, which can be several thousand more a year on your insurance.

I don't know you, and you might not think so yet, but you most likely will end up doing things that are really stupid. Having a cheap, slow car is really a good idea for a while. The TL isn't very fast, but its definitely way faster than a new driver needs or probably even wants. Looking back, I appreciate the fact that I had a slow cheap ecobox for a first car, even if it was only for 6 months.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
At 16 I got a 95' Nissan pickup. Did the stupidest shit on earth in that thing and I loved it. Hit a few cars, played tag with a buddies jeep, egged shit out of the back of it. A bumper hood and fenders cost me like $300 and a $700 maaco paint job and it was good as new. Got a 03' Type S when I turned 19 and had a better appreciation an wasn't so into testing the limits as far as wreckless driving (not saying you'll do the same). point is get something cheap that you don't have to worry about then after a few years get an even better car.

Good luck either way.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
All the people have spoken!

When I first got my driver's license, I had a 1994 Nissan Sentra as my first car. Thank god I did too, because I, also, was reckless and did stupid things. My insurance was relatively inexpensive (still expensive because I was a brand new driver) and it cost me like $13 to fill my tank up from empty to full!

I had the car for about a year and a half when a mail lady pulled out in front of me and totaled it (granted it wasn't my fault). When I finally bought my own car, with my money, I bought an '04 6MT NBP TL, which I loved, cherished and took care of righteously. I owned that car for approximately 3.5 years when I traded it in for my current 6MT TL-S.

Now, at 24 years old, I've definitely mellowed out a huge amount, though I still like to drive spiritedly every now and then, though much more experienced of a driver. I would recommend a beater for your first car, something you can throw around and not care about...you're going to hurt it almost assuredly guaranteed.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
got my base 07 tl at 17 and have had it since with no accidents, but a nice ammount of speeding tickets lmao
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Use that Dmoney up! Too much power for a teen imo especially with cell phones now adays.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
I don't think it's power that should be your concern OP. Like others have mentioned, it's how you drive and the skill learned over time that's more important that knowing how to feather a clutch and/or accelerator. Personally, I don't think the Type-S is really all that powerful and you can't really compare it to a G37 as both cars operate on different drivetrain combinations. Not to mention weight difference (makes much more of an impact on your handling than you may think), wheel base, center of gravity, etc etc.

Here's something to remember, no one, I'll say it again NO ONE has ever kept their first car in pristine perfect condition or not damaged it to some degree. Whether it's scratches, wheels getting curbed, or even hitting pot holes hard enough to throw off your alignment. There's nothing wrong with wanting a nice car, but using a nice car to learn on and make all your mistakes on is where you'll regret it. You'll hate yourself for dinging a door, or hitting the curb, or worse yet if someone else damages your car.

I've seen it a million times before and it'll happen a million more times. When that much fascination or excitement is put into a really nice 'first' car and something happens to it, people very quickly stop caring for it or their learning. Do yourself a favor and get a rinky dink beater. Who cares who sees you in it or what you look like in it. You're doing it to learn, to make mistakes and not let it bother you. This way you can also save up for the Type-S or any other car you now have your eyes on and will be able to take much better care of it. Or even better yet, keep both and make one your daily and the other your fun-day car
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NWSTL
Now that I think about it, the first thing I did before buying every car I had between 16-25 was check insurance rates. I remember one being $250/month and that seemed reasonable. I would sht a brick if my agent said that now.
I'm 32 and have never had an at fault accident. My last not-at-fault accident was over 12 years ago and I have not had any tickets for 6 years. Also I have excellent credit. So in other words, my record is clear. My insurance cost per month for the 2012 Acura TL FWD Base model is $140. So expect a teen to pay at least double that, if not more, per month.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
You're doing better than I was. My first car was a 92 Integra
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
I'm 32 and have never had an at fault accident. My last not-at-fault accident was over 12 years ago and I have not had any tickets for 6 years. Also I have excellent credit. So in other words, my record is clear. My insurance cost per month for the 2012 Acura TL FWD Base model is $140. So expect a teen to pay at least double that, if not more, per month.
I'm 24 with a low mileage '08 6MT TL-S in a large city, and my insurance is $125/mth, full coverage....your rates a little highly estimated, imo.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
As my second car, I love the TL and I'm completely responsible for it.

One thing I can say is, your parent's (or your) insurance will skyrocket.

For a TL as a FIRST car, I'd say no, especially if you're 16. I know I wouldn't be able to handle this car at 16.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
The biggest thing that kids don't do is maintenance.

Even if you wash and vacuum your car weekly. Changing oil, rotating tires, brakes, tires and the other little things are what will degrade your car the fastest.

And your chances of wrecking it are very high until your 20's. I have been involved in a few both my fault and not my fault.

The power of a type S is not ridiculous. Yeah it will burn tires and such but its the high speed power that will burn you. Accelerating to fast for conditions and not leaving enough room to brake and be able to stop fast enough is what is going to get you.

Its not the RWD power of spinning out and ending in a ditch.

My first car was a 87 toyota corolla when I was 14. Lived in South Dakota and had my license at 14 driving without an adult.

It wasn't until my 3rd vehicle when I was 16 that I got into my 1st accident. Lady pulled out in front of me. My 2nd accident when I was 17 I rear ended someone due to following distances.

I haven't had a ticket in over 5 years and my last accident was Oct. 04.

I pay 592.00 every 6 months for 2 full coverage vehicles and 1 liability only vehicle.

OP can expect to pay about 150.00 a month for 1 vehicle.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
I'm 24 with a low mileage '08 6MT TL-S in a large city, and my insurance is $125/mth, full coverage....your rates a little highly estimated, imo.
Don't think so. Your car is an '08 mines is a '12. Big difference there. You pay more for insurance with brand new cars especially a sports car with 280 HP. Additionally, my car is a lease and more stringent coverages are required than financed vehicles.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
An 05 Base 6MT is my first car. TL-S would be a great first car if you got it in manual.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
Don't think so. Your car is an '08 mines is a '12. Big difference there. You pay more for insurance with brand new cars especially a sports car with 280 HP. Additionally, my car is a lease and more stringent coverages are required than financed vehicles.
I have an '07 MDX Sport + Touring that I insure as well, which is worth more than my TL-S...same price on insurance. I don't lease it, however, both in my name, both insured in my name. I've also been quoted on a brand new, zero mileage sports car ('11 RX-8 R3, loaded, brand new at the time), for the same amount. Maybe your insurance is just higher there...

Also, your insurance is based off quite a number of factors, the biggest of which are the worth of the car, the liability of the area you live in, your previous record and whether or not they consider you to be a high risk client (age, history, etc.).
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
The TL was my 2nd car. I had a 94 accord from 16-17 and then I got a 2006 TL when I was 18. I'm glad it was my 2nd car because it made me respect and enjoy it a lot more then i would have if it was my first car.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Racer

Get a truck or SUV. Go out and have some slow fun. There's more room for a girl in a truck or SUV...
The following 2 users liked this post by NWSTL:
Acura_Dude (11-28-2012), Undying Dreams (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
maybe its just me but driving 2 beater cars (combined worth under $4k) through high school and college before my TL makes me appreciate it more for what it is.

I would get a 02+ civic. no hassle maintenance and the thing just keeps on going. Oil? psh every 10k. Tires? try every 60k miles. You just need to feed it gas and oil. It's great on gas and insurance would be moderately cheaper. get a manual civic to practice on in your first years if that is your thing. my sister's 02 is in timing belt replacement territory now at around 110k but before that? absolutely zero unexpected maintenance. Never left me or my sister stranded, and we bought this new in early 03.

the hatchback si of those years is an interesting and quirky car. I would have loved to drive that for my first car.

Last edited by ez12a; 11-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Money, insurance, $60 tank fill-ups aside...

A TL-S bought for a kid who's not 'into cars' is probably not a big deal.

A TL-S bought for a kid who's into cars, likes to go fast, wants to impress friends/girls and has daddy's credit card that he won't respect nor appreciate is a recipe for disaster.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
having the TL as your first car will ruin you for life. it will spoil you.
I would be curious what the insurance rates are for you between the base and type S, and civic

Last edited by pohljm; 11-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
No. Its too much car for a first car. Get something safe and slow, and cheap. My first car was a camaro, but it was an 85 V6 camaro, that had 135 hp. My great grandmothers camry was faster. In a year or two when youre more experienced, get a type s if you still can. Trust me, your parents will respect you so much more for a responsible decision like that.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Edit: Just saw my last insurance bill. 509.00 for 3 vehicles every 6 months.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
having the tl as your first car will ruin you for life. It will spoil you.
i would be curious what the insurance rates are for you between the base and type s, and civic
+1
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pohljm
having the TL as your first car will ruin you for life. it will spoil you.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Regardless of what car OP ends up getting, drive safe and smart. I also hope that you don't have enemies in school either. Back in high school, a classmate had a black 335i coupe and it was keyed like hell.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Cruisin'

Good point... jealousy is a bitch and seems to make some people do really dumb things.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmoney48
The tl type s is just one of the cars im looking into getting for a first car. I already know power would be a big concern for a young driver but i can handle my dads 330hp g37 just fine so dont worry about power. I dont speed but my only real irresponsibility is accelerating(up to the speed limit) fast. What care about most is handling though. So is the tl type s okay for a first car?
Look, some folks are going to say you are a spoiled rich kid who doesn't deserve it. Others will say it's a great choice and so on and so forth.

To be 100% honest, it is ALL DEPENDENT ON YOU. If you are mature enough to respect the car and give it the attention it deserves, then you should be able to have it. For example keeping up with maintenance, making sure your friends don't screw up your car (bringing food inside, etc), not doing burnouts and stupid stuff, etc.

I will tell you that at a young age having a nice car can be both great and as well pretty horrible. The nice car will make you feel accomplished, distinguished, etc. It however will attract a lot of negative attention as well.

Quick Reply: Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?