3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL not worth getting brand new????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:20 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought new. Love it, no problems noted. It's a great car, there are plenty of great cars out there like the '06 Honda Accord Coupe EX i4 5MT. I guess it all depends on the person. Cars are such an individual thing, just like opinions, everyone has certain expectations.

The question is, mlody,are you going to buy a used TL, going to sell your '06 Honda Accord Coupe EX i4 5MT for a new TL, attempting to validate your Honda purchase or just looking to start a healthy debate in a forum where a vast majority of the people here love there automobile?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Nobody's Hero

Man, if you are that unsure and have that many reservations about the TL, just move on. Not sure you'll ever be happy with it. "If in doubt, It's out!

BTW "I love mine"
Old 02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 260 HP
chfields:
I hope you're not implying that my parents gave me the car or that I'm so loaded and dropping $35k on a car is nothing. Anyway, I totally agree with you that a $35k car should have no issues. May I ask, what $20k car that you kept on mentioning?

The ones that are in this group know who they are....
The $20,000 car is my 03 Honda CRV...My $12,000 car is my 95 Saturn SC2
Old 02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

I recently (4 weeks ago) bought the 04 TL with 28K on it. I went with the 04 instead of the 06 for the reasons mentioned in the original post. Why pay over 30 for an 06 with the same engine, same body style, same interior, and very few changes. I love my TL. Yes I do notice some rattles and some road noise but I think it depends on the person as to whether or not these are "major" problems or not. I think the 04-06 TL are the best cars in their class for the money you are spending and the Honda quality you are getting. TL's in general are great cars.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by joed40
Bought new. Love it, no problems noted. It's a great car, there are plenty of great cars out there like the '06 Honda Accord Coupe EX i4 5MT. I guess it all depends on the person. Cars are such an individual thing, just like opinions, everyone has certain expectations.

The question is, mlody,are you going to buy a used TL, going to sell your '06 Honda Accord Coupe EX i4 5MT for a new TL, attempting to validate your Honda purchase or just looking to start a healthy debate in a forum where a vast majority of the people here love there automobile?

I had to sell mine ’04 TL because of many problems with the car as well other problems that I had encountered. Yes, I am evaluating to buy a brand new ‘06/’07 6MT/Navi and when that happens, I will definitely sell my Accord.

I know I am picky, but I am not that picky to give up on the car if there are one or two problems, but dealing with a lemon is a different story.

All I want is to have my future TL to be as good as the Accord I am driving right now and I will be very happy.

I am well aware of maintenance nightmares that BMW, VW, Audi, Volvo etc owners are going through and I would never consider those cars, but I think that I have the right to expect the TL to be as good as Accord, can I?

I know that one rattle does not compare to replacing the whole suspension by 50k-60k miles on bimmer or vw, and that is the reason I am still with Honda regardless of some small issues.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:46 AM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by mlody

If Honda can spoil one with a good quality product for $15-20k, why in the heck is unrealistic to expect the same or even better from $35k Honda car? How stupid is to say that I would have to shell out $45k for a rattle free car and with $35k car I have to compromise, while my freaking $20k Accord and RSX are bullet proof?
I understand your "passion" for Honda (correct me if i'm wrong). but you are saying this like conclusions for all TL, accord and RSX. if you have ever done some lab works then you'd know a big enough sampling space for even a HALF ASS assumption is very important.

should i tell you about all the transmission and differential problems of the last 45K car i drove (330xi) and come up with some sort of conclusions on ALL BMW 330i (or at least say it like one)? I think you get my point. How about those "electrical" problems on that 55K M3 in my avatar? i believe a few readers by now started to think twice about BMW. people, BMW good or bad but that's just TWO freaking cars "I" mentioned. CANNOT draw (half ass) conclusion (or say it like one) just based on that. i don't think this concept is so hard to understand yet i keep seeing people, becuz they got a bad one (or a good Civic for example), saying it like it's a bible or something. it's misleading at best.

oh what's the use? if we have 1 un-lucky new one per day to bitch about things like a rattle or whatnot minor problems, mind you that's only 365 (subjectively bad)a year out of oh say 90000 TL, i'd have to re-type my point here 365 times. what's the use? sigh....
Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With closed eyes, shut both door (TL’s and Civic’s) and tell me which one makes more luxurious sound? For sure you would pick Civic!!!!

In response to the above post:

I have a RBP 2006 TL with a little over 2K miles on it and mine has had ZERO problems. I test drove the civic and accord too. The TL was superior in build quality to both cars IMO. Also IMO the civic's doors closes like a bulkhead door on a destroyer compared to the door's on the TL. Also like others have said the value of 35K for is very cheap when you compare features to other cars (ie G35, 3 series and others). Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:50 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I went the opposite route...

I went into the dealership looking at a used TL, long story short, I drove out in a brand spanking new one.

I used to believe that no car is worth buying new. Why take the initial depreciation when you can have someone else take it for you? I have never bought a new car for that reason.

However with the TL, I was looking at a 04 w/ 44k mi on it. I factored in the remaining warranty, the mileage, and how much they want for it. I am also keeping this car so that was factored in as well. In the end it did not make sense to get used one since the brand new one is not much more. In my case, around 3-4k.

If there's a car that one should consider buying it new, TL would be it.

btw, what is your definition of lemon? in addition, what kind of problems did you have with your 04 TL?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Racer

04 TL with 19500 miles and counting.

seat prints dash fading subwoofer desk rattling but fixed that by sticking a pillow on it lol

AND STILL LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVIN IT
Old 02-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I belong to a couple of forums and I know why people buy the car. I have had 3 acuras since the 99 tl and it has to do with pricing and performance. When I go looking for a car I want something that will perform well and acura does deliver a loaded up car that performs for a price point. I would not call 35000 cheap for a car like this unless you are comparing it to a BMW.

I will say that the reliability of car has been less than what I expected from acura. I have had my share of issues including the 2g tranny. I wouldn't say that it prevent me from buying again. It just makes me more cautious. Both 2gs and 3gs have has some issues. The 3 less than the 2 but then there have been some wild stories on here about the 3. And, more so than a few other models. I would agree that all car makers have some issues from time to time but acura has had more. I am not one to defend a car maker just because I bought one car from them and had no problems, nor am I to slam one if I bought a single car that was not perfect. But over time I have seen certain traits from a model or maker.

Acuras do perform well and that is one reason people buy them and then the price. I understand all the complaints and I understand all the praises.. It's the perspective you come from and if you are paying on a problem car for 6 years well. Its a long realtionship to have!!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

We have had zero problems with our 2005 6MT so far.
You can pay lots more for a car and have more, and much more serious problems then what people here complain about.
Any German car will be worse, some much worse, all the Jaguars are likely to be trouble prone (but the dealers are good), the only American cars that compare to the TL might be the chrysler 300 and the cady cts, both are likely to be much worse then the TL. Consumer reports rates them worse...
The lincoln LS might be ok, my wife had one for 2 years and it was fine, and fast
(V8) with no problems, but consumer reports rates it not so good, and it sucks gas big time.

Lexus will be better problem wise, or you can step down to an accord, camery,
buick lacross, ford 500, and there will be zillions of cars just like yours, and most wont give anything close to the performance of the TL.
Dont you just drool over the 200hp duratech or buick 3800 motor?

I hear the g35 has rattle problems and is small inside?

I do not know much about the maxima except I do not like the looks at all.
The avalon is likely very good, but hardly sporty.

If you want a bigger 4 door with a 6 cylinder and a manual transmission, choices are very limited.

If you want a problem free inexpensive performance/luxury sedan with a manual transmission, choices are even more limited.

Lets get real here....

Brett
Old 02-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Racer

04 WDP with over 41K Miles on it and loving every minute of it... Issues with Headliner, rear bumper color and a few more fixed by dealer..

Old 02-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Pro

I had no idea that this was a CL bashing forum... just what in you mind is so unfortunate about owning a 2nd gen CL ?

I have owned two of them and they are great cars... the auto transmission was made of glass, but that was a problem across the whole Honda line... including the TLs. In fact a client of mine has a 2003 TL - A spec with 36,000Km (22K miles) on it and is on his FOURTH transmission.

What is a young guy like you doing with a four door anyway? I find TL to be designed for the 45+ group. Whenever I have my car in for service they give me a new TL loaner to drive... I would never trade.

Originally Posted by soopa
It's just something with the crowd THIS car attracts.

We never hosted a forum for another model with sooo much complaining... yet... every other Acura (and I've owned most of them) is pale in comparison to the 3G TL.

Ya'll should feel really lucky for owning such a fine car.

I can't imagine what we'd be hearing from this crowd if you had the misfortune of buying a 2G CL... you have no idea how good you have it.