3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL clutch do u press it all the way down?Seems I only need to press it 1/3 of the way

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
TL clutch do u press it all the way down?Seems I only need to press it 1/3 of the way

I have a honda prelude and you had to press it all the way down to shift or risk grinding the gear. I also did it because I thought the clutch fully engage/disengaged by pressing it all the way. The TL 6sp MT seems different I only need to press it in 1/3 of the way and it shifts perfectly fine. The shifter is also short so I can shift between gears fast. Is the pressure point that far "up" on the TL clutch? I realise each clutch is different but to me it seems like the TL clutch might be designed this way?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mines just like how you explained. I think its normal.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
No, that is not normal. Every manual TL I have driven has an early engagement point in the takeup. First, let's get some terms out of the way.

Clutch pedal travel is the distance the pedal travels from full depression (contact with the slop pad on the firewall) to full release. Clutch takeup is the distance the pedal travels from initial engagement to full engagement. In the manual TL, pedal travel is relatively short and takeup tends to be quite short with significant clamping pressure exerted early on in the takeup.

If your pedal only needs to be depressed 1/3 of the way down in order to make a shift, that means conversely it is 2/3's of the way up in its travel. If this is really the case (you are not exagerating), this is highly unusual and I suspect a potentially serious problem in the making.

As a rule, every manual TL I've driven encounters initial engagement within about 2 inches from the stop pad. There are a few simple tests you can do to determine at what point your clutch is starting to exert enough pressure on the friction disk indicate to you about where engagement is beginning.

With the emergency brake on and the engine warmed up and at idle, put the transmission in first gear with your clutch pedal completely to the floor. Now slowly start to release the clutch (careful here) while watching your tach. As soon as you see a noticeable dip in RPMs (you may also feel the car strain to move forward), note how far up in the travel the pedal was - of course do not leave it in this position.

There are other tests, but try this one first. The point is, engagement should start early on in the travel with a rather short takeup.

BTW. Don't ever perform shifts with less that a completely disengaged clutch. Doing this results in greatly increased wear on the synchronizers and can lead to broken dog teeth.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 AM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Yeah I've always thought that a clutch should grab early and that a late bite means a wearing clutch needing replacement. I wasn't sure if this was the same for hydraulic clutches as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
No, that is not normal. Every manual TL I have driven has an early engagement point in the takeup. First, let's get some terms out of the way.

Clutch pedal travel is the distance the pedal travels from full depression (contact with the slop pad on the firewall) to full release. Clutch takeup is the distance the pedal travels from initial engagement to full engagement. In the manual TL, pedal travel is relatively short and takeup tends to be quite short with significant clamping pressure exerted early on in the takeup.

If your pedal only needs to be depressed 1/3 of the way down in order to make a shift, that means conversely it is 2/3's of the way up in its travel. If this is really the case (you are not exagerating), this is highly unusual and I suspect a potentially serious problem in the making.

As a rule, every manual TL I've driven encounters initial engagement within about 2 inches from the stop pad. There are a few simple tests you can do to determine at what point your clutch is starting to exert enough pressure on the friction disk indicate to you about where engagement is beginning.

With the emergency brake on and the engine warmed up and at idle, put the transmission in first gear with your clutch pedal completely to the floor. Now slowly start to release the clutch (careful here) while watching your tach. As soon as you see a noticeable dip in RPMs (you may also feel the car strain to move forward), note how far up in the travel the pedal was - of course do not leave it in this position.

There are other tests, but try this one first. The point is, engagement should start early on in the travel with a rather short takeup.

BTW. Don't ever perform shifts with less that a completely disengaged clutch. Doing this results in greatly increased wear on the synchronizers and can lead to broken dog teeth.
cool thx. I'll check it out.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

As a rule, every manual TL I've driven encounters initial engagement within about 2 inches from the stop pad.
That's exactly how mine is.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Racer

How much do you estimate the total travel on the clutch pedal is?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by rc51ryder
that's exactly how mine is.
+1
Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he may be exaggerating his clutch. While I know mine is normal I will concur I don't have to fully depress mine in order to get full disengage every time. It's so strange going from my TL to my Passat because the Passat requires me to almost put the pedal down to the floor (feels that way). It concerned me first time I got back into my Passat after I bought the TL because the last time it did that it meant my clutch slave cylinder was going out.

Yes it doesn't have to be depressed all the way to the floor for each shift but if you have the chance look at where your foot is next time no one is on the road around you and see just where it really is when the clutch is fully engaged. I think you'll find it's much more than just 1/3rd of the way to the floor.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pilotman28
I think he may be exaggerating his clutch. While I know mine is normal I will concur I don't have to fully depress mine in order to get full disengage every time. It's so strange going from my TL to my Passat because the Passat requires me to almost put the pedal down to the floor (feels that way). It concerned me first time I got back into my Passat after I bought the TL because the last time it did that it meant my clutch slave cylinder was going out.

Yes it doesn't have to be depressed all the way to the floor for each shift but if you have the chance look at where your foot is next time no one is on the road around you and see just where it really is when the clutch is fully engaged. I think you'll find it's much more than just 1/3rd of the way to the floor.
I do think more than 1/3 of the way, it just feels so short comparatively to my honda prelude which needed to be pressed all the way down. I've had the car for about 2 days so I'm still getting used to it.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by piggydog
How much do you estimate the total travel on the clutch pedal is?
Estimate? Perhaps less than 8 inches. But I would suggest measuring this to be sure.. not that it is all that important. Remember, clutch pedal travel and takeup are two different things.